LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Satellite P150 Severe Slowdown

Nicky

Hey guys,

I bought a Toshiba P105-S9722 a few weeks ago, and it'd been running games like a dream. Then all of a sudden, games started choking up really bad. I used to be able to run Need for Speed: Carbon on maximum no problem, but now, it sometimes slows down even on the low settings. (Weird thing here, is if I try to play it on maximum, if you let it run for a while, things will speed up for maybe 30 sec - 1 min, then slow down again). Even GTA: San Andreas slows down, and that's a pretty old game.

I've tried about 5 different driver versions, and none seem to fix the problem. Since the nvidia setup program doesn't recognize my card, I've been doing all the updates manually. (Showing Windows where the files are, etc.) I don't think should cause a problem, but I though it'd be worth mentioning.

Some of my system specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00 GHz (T7200)

Nvidia GeForce go 7900 gs [Current driver: 84.25]

2 GB System ram

I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Thanks,

Nicky

Edited by Nicky

Sounds like overheating. Do a search around here for threads dealing with it.

Did you overclock?

I haven't overclocked, but I think you could be right. I'll look around the forums and see what I can find.

Thank!

So running RivaTuner, I get an idle temp of about 80' C, and after about 2-3 minutes of gameplay, I get a temp of about 107' C. (I stopped playing once things slowed down.) I did some conversions, and that turns into a range of 176-228' C. Now, I hope that RivaTuner's scales are messed up, 'cause that would mean my laptop could boil water just sitting here, but regardless, it seems like it's getting pretty toasty. Any suggestions?

no way!

i have the same problem! check 3 threads down is my thread. I just got my laptop from usa two days ago. It ran once a game smooth then i exit the game and went back in, even the game menu was choppy!

umm try installing a program called nvtemp logger to check 7900gs temps.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1194

Edited by madonion

107 is really high, if numbers are correct. Try cleaning vents with pressured air and downclocking your GPU. 80C is also high for idle temperature.

I doubt there's anything clogging the vents, but I'll give it a shot. (The laptop is only about a month old.) How do I downclock the GPU?

Thanks

ok i installed fraps! game ran 60 frames in loading as soon as it went it it dropped to 4. meaning the card prob got warm and is throtteling. the weird thing is the fans dont kick in any faster :) .

EDIT:Just went into the same game, frames went to 4 in the game menu, coudnt even get into the game.

Hey nicky do you have toshiba power saver installed? i might just put the laptop outside in the cold to see if it runs a game lol.

Edited by madonion

Just to feed my curiosity... how many fans do you have on your laptop? The one fan designs are not efficient for cooling toasters like the 7900 GS.

80°C idle is incredibly high... I'm blessed by my 6800 that is currently at 42°C which means GPU fan is OFF most of the time. Dead silent cold laptop.

ok i installed rv runer and its reporting -120c lol wtf? nvtemp logger says 59c idle.

As soon as it reach -373°C call me... :)

I FIXED THE PROBLEM WITH MINE! WOOOT! right click on desktop and go to nvidia settings / power mizer AC outlet on BALANCED.

It was always on Maximum performance but when i put the AC to balanced it solved all my gaming problems!.

Good, but you are probably sacrificing some performance.

True snowl it pus your computer 50% slower. 6060 3dmark 05 went down to 2900! But i did put it back to maximum power and now everything runs fast and nothing is wrong! WTF LOL!

This sounds like a major problem for the P105s... I wonder how Toshiba tried to cool these things.

This sounds like a major problem for the P105s... I wonder how Toshiba tried to cool these things.

Mine works perfect now. Weird hey :)

Something fixed it for me too. I finally f'ed my drivers up enough that none of my games would even run, so I decided to install the original drivers I found on my recovery cd. Now I'm idling at about 55'C and when I play a game it goes up to 60's, maybe 70's. SOOO much better. I'm not exactly sure what did it, but hell, I'm happy. REALLY happy. If anyone is interested in these drivers, I'd be more than happy to post them.

Nicky

What about drivers available from Toshiba website?

I never found any drivers on the site, or if I did, they were these drivers and I didn't think much of them.

OEM driver should be considered as backup plan if custom drivers fail. But in most cases if you have a decent OEM manufacturer drivers should be considered as plan A. Mainly because they usually support every single function that you expect from a laptop. (PowerMizer, suspend,...)

OEM driver should be considered as backup plan if custom drivers fail. But in most cases if you have a decent OEM manufacturer drivers should be considered as plan A. Mainly because they usually support every single function that you expect from a laptop. (PowerMizer, suspend,...)

Nikcy are you running toshiba power saver?

• 3 weeks later...

I have P105-S9722 and 84.69 w/ modded inf from here, plus a bugfix for the inf for watching DVDs.

I get 30-40 FPS in Oblivion outside, 60-70 inside, and about 3850 in 3dmark06.

PowerMizer is enabled in control panel. The new control panel doesn't show the slider you are talking about, but I remember that. I feel the GPU get a little hot sometimes but not continuously. So far the fan is behaving well.

It's only 2-3 weeks old, but I have used the stock XP Pro SP2 image that came preinstalled, patched it, and locked it down from spyware best I could. Also when I game I make sure to kill background processes and stop services.

You could have bad fan. I use mine on a Levenger Lapdesk. Hope mine doesnt start doing that.

Core Duo 2 2.0 ghz 2 gb ram 7900 gs 256 mb 4200 HD

I was bummed about the slow hard drive at first, but I realize between that, the GS, and the Duo, it keeps the darn thing from becoming a space heater.

Edited by tballard

• 2 weeks later...
It's only 2-3 weeks old, but I have used the stock XP Pro SP2 image that came preinstalled, patched it, and locked it down from spyware best I could. Also when I game I make sure to kill background processes and stop services.

Update: I had to reimage it last night. Spyware. All this crap that comes preinstalled, plus I probably got it from some p*** :-)

It was slow at least once after coming back from sleep while it was on Laptop power profile.

I used stock image from restore CD this time again. Probably will get spyware again. ###### microsoft carp.

I have P105-S9722 and 84.69 w/ modded inf from here, plus a bugfix for the inf for watching DVDs.

I get 30-40 FPS in Oblivion outside, 60-70 inside, and about 3850 in 3dmark06.

PowerMizer is enabled in control panel. The new control panel doesn't show the slider you are talking about, but I remember that. I feel the GPU get a little hot sometimes but not continuously. So far the fan is behaving well.

You could have bad fan. I use mine on a Levenger Lapdesk. Hope mine doesnt start doing that.

Core Duo 2 2.0 ghz 2 gb ram 7900 gs 256 mb 4200 HD

I was bummed about the slow hard drive at first, but I realize between that, the GS, and the Duo, it keeps the darn thing from becoming a space heater.

I got spyware and had to reimage it. I saw it go slow and then rebooted.