LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Upgrading Go6400TC

ap10046

Hi guys!

I have a Sony Vaio FS-745P/H with a nvidia Geforce Go6400TC (64mb? 128mb? 256??), 100Gb-7200RPM, 2GB-533mhz. Slightly overclocked, I am running it at 481/808. No overheating and totally reliable everyday.

I am not a hard core gamer but I do play a fair bit.

Half Life / 2 at the high settings and at 1024X 768/800 seem ok..

However, I tried Hitman and Fear and it got very bogged! Episode 1 was also pretty jerky. Pacific Assault was only just better but would love an improvement.

My question is, not being very technically proficient, is there any way I can squeeze more out of this card OR has someone swapped it out for maybe a 7400 or something faster?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ap10046

Some games scale well on older hardware... some just require much more power... the worst popular games that didn't scale well on older hardware were Fear and the last Splinter Cell.

There is little you can squeeze out of your GPU.... if you jump to upgrade you should not get anything below 7400... but I advise you to get a 7600 GT.

Hi! Happy New Year and thank you for the reply.

I can actually get my hands on a 7600 because my brother's new HP dv9000 fell off the table and is basically unrepairable.

Can this be done? where may I find this information?

Thanks again for the "hope"!

Warm regards

I`ve never seen the inards of the Sony, but I give it a 99.5% probability that HP and Sony graphic cards are not compatible, even if the HP has a plugin card.

Is there anyone who knows whether this is possible before I open up a Sony ??(ABYSMAL!!!!!!After sales Service)

Aren't the motherboards the same?

Regards

I was once a sad owner of a sony vaio.... My fs had a 6200tc which exactly same thing as your 6400tc and I am afraid it is integrated. You can't upgrade it. I sold my sony and bought a dell xps m170 a while back (7800gtx~ I know I know its outdated now... =..( ). I am very satisfied with the performance. I suggest you do the same.

Hi all.

Thanks for the information.

I am currently playing HL2 again on the highest settings and with AA at 4X and AF at 2X and it is very playable...

am I kidding myself or do I really need an XPS 1710??

was that a sarcastic remark?? Playing HL2 on 1280x800 with high settings?? Wow... the sony vaio fs is much more powerful than I thought. If you want to play more recent games, I suggest you buy a desktop. Upgrading your existing configuration is just a waste of money. But I do believe your 6400tc is a HUGE bottleneck. Like I said before, its "almost" impossible to upgrade unless you are a very skilled computer engineer. Anyways, the Sony vaio is a good combination between mobility and performance. Trust me, you should NOT buy another laptop. Getting a new laptop to play high end game is pure idiotic and I learned this the hard way!

• 2 weeks later...
was that a sarcastic remark?? Playing HL2 on 1280x800 with high settings?? Wow... the sony vaio fs is much more powerful than I thought. If you want to play more recent games, I suggest you buy a desktop. Upgrading your existing configuration is just a waste of money. But I do believe your 6400tc is a HUGE bottleneck. Like I said before, its "almost" impossible to upgrade unless you are a very skilled computer engineer. Anyways, the Sony vaio is a good combination between mobility and performance. Trust me, you should NOT buy another laptop. Getting a new laptop to play high end game is pure idiotic and I learned this the hard way!

Hi!

Sorry if it sounded sarcastic, but no..I will try and get you a screenshot at 1280X800..I just finished it 2 days ago.

This is what I think as strange...it plays some of the most graphically intensive games no problems but will give me problems no end with others.

I have been going mad trying to find out why it wont let me play MOH Spearhead and Breakthrough but its absolutely ok with MOHAA and Call of Duty2..!!

I have tried everything and have even gone back to the 77 series OEM drivers. It allows Breakthrough but not so good and Spearhead will NOT load no matter what. It always crashes back to the main screen.. I have been browsing every site available but no solution seems to work...

Hi!

Sorry if it sounded sarcastic, but no..I will try and get you a screenshot at 1280X800..I just finished it 2 days ago.

This is what I think as strange...it plays some of the most graphically intensive games no problems but will give me problems no end with others.

I have been going mad trying to find out why it wont let me play MOH Spearhead and Breakthrough but its absolutely ok with MOHAA and Call of Duty2..!!

I have tried everything and have even gone back to the 77 series OEM drivers. It allows Breakthrough but not so good and Spearhead will NOT load no matter what. It always crashes back to the main screen.. I have been browsing every site available but no solution seems to work...

I have uploaded 2 screenshots of my FS at 1280X720 and 2XAA and 2XAS, not too bad, is it?

Still cant get Spearhead to play..anyone.....

post-2130-1168929491_thumb.jpg

post-2130-1168929509_thumb.jpg

Sure, but what kind of framerates are you getting?

hmmm..how would i measure that?

Its very playable, meaning no skipping, pausing, it goes slow once in a while but thats about it....

Try this: Go in to Counter Strike Source, turn on the settings like you have them in HL2, then run the video stress test. Post what it spits out.