LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell XPS NMI:parity check error...driver related?

DeaconSix

Hi, i have a new Dell XPS M1710. I have a NV 7900GS card in it. I keep getting this error.

-------Hardware Malfunction. Call your Hardware Vendor for Support----------

NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error

----------The System has Halted----------------------------------------------------

I, of course, first thought this was a RAM error. So i called up Dell, and they made me run a diagnostics that came up clean. Well, I in no way trust any of Dells diagnostic tests, as ive seen it miss major hardware issues htat were resolved when i forced dell to replace the equipment anyway. So i looked into it, and found that this error is a common problem with not only XPS users, but M70 precision users.

Its really tough to tell what the issue is, or what acutally works, because alot of people just dont know what they are talkinga bout/whats really going on. It seems tho, that alot of people that seemed pretty knowledgable tracked it down to bad Dell drivers. Alot of them link to modified drivers as a fix for this issue, tho one person said he was having this issue and was using the ForceWare Release 80 Version: 84.63 NOT the drivers from Dell.

I guess what im wondering is: has anyone else seen this problem or know about it? Is it a video driver issue? Do you know a sure way to fix this issue?

Thanks for reading

Edited by DeaconSix

The one time I dealt with this was with bad memory. Go to http://www.memtest86.com/ and follow the instructions. Be sure to let it run for a long enough time. That should tell you whether it's memory-related or not.

The one time I dealt with this was with bad memory. Go to http://www.memtest86.com/ and follow the instructions. Be sure to let it run for a long enough time. That should tell you whether it's memory-related or not.

you got the identical blue screen message on a Dell laptop running a NV 7xxx series video card? I only ask, cuz this is a standard blue screen message (due to drivers, bad ram, or i think bad cache), and on the late model Dell laptops, its happening alot. That usually means some driver/BIOS bug in Dells software, when so many people on the inspiron forums report it.

Thanks again

No, it was on a different computer, but it's worth a shot.

Deacon welcome back...

Another humble 5205 owner from back in the days :)

here's what i found:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315223/en-us

"motherboard, the RAM on a motherboard or on an adapter, or the cache memory on a motherboard"

- Try updating BIOS

- resetting (load defaults) BIOS

- test memory modules one by one with http://www.memtest.org/ (smax posted the old -development abandonded- Memtest version)

- read the MS article again

• 3 weeks later...
Deacon welcome back...

Another humble 5205 owner from back in the days :)

here's what i found:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315223/en-us

"motherboard, the RAM on a motherboard or on an adapter, or the cache memory on a motherboard"

- Try updating BIOS

- resetting (load defaults) BIOS

- test memory modules one by one with http://www.memtest.org/ (smax posted the old -development abandonded- Memtest version)

- read the MS article again

THanks for all the info....I plan on tackling this problem full force as soon as my life gets a bit less hectic (in the process of moving to NYC to start a new job). Till then, this problem is just a major pain in the keister, as the simple solutions dont seem to help (bios, changing drivers, etc). Ill post again as soon as I get that memtest taken care of.

Again, thanks to this community, which seems to thrive on making laptop video run as smooth as possible

Guest redpanther

I have a XPS M1710 with the 7900GTX. I get the same BSOD as you about once a month. The last time it happened I had a weather radar page running/refreshing for a long time. Before that I was using a program called NVtemp and got it.

YES! This is the problem I have been having recently too - This is why I have downloaded new drivers and a program to control my fans in my laptop becuse I thought it had to do with my Graphics Card overheating cause before it happens to me I usually get artifacts in my games... Then I quite and close my monitor and boom BSOD with that message. Please if anyone finds a REAL solution let me know via PM or something plz plz plz.

YES! This is the problem I have been having recently too - This is why I have downloaded new drivers and a program to control my fans in my laptop becuse I thought it had to do with my Graphics Card overheating cause before it happens to me I usually get artifacts in my games... Then I quite and close my monitor and boom BSOD with that message. Please if anyone finds a REAL solution let me know via PM or something plz plz plz.

Yeah, I have the same problem with my M1710 (2GB RAM 7900GTX 512MB and a 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo processor)

The strange thing is that it happens under no load, whatsover. Just browsing with firefox!

Yeah, I have the same problem with my M1710 (2GB RAM 7900GTX 512MB and a 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo processor)

The strange thing is that it happens under no load, whatsover. Just browsing with firefox!

I don't normally post a reply but had to on this one since it directly applies to the fixes tried above. I've just loaded the OS from an XP SP2 cd and encountered the same parity error with "The System has halted". I've even tried booting the system using 4 different memory modules and still have the issue. This probably points to the motherboard more than bad memory or software/app related issues.

System: Dell GX280

Sorry - no fix yet (otherwise I wouldn't be searching) :)

• 2 months later...
Guest Nick

Hey I have a Dell XPS M170 with 2 GB Ram and a 7900GTX. I get the same crash when running demanding games such as Counter Strike Source or Company of Heroes. The screen used to give me the "Hardware Malfunction" page now it just gets digitized and crashes. (The screen looks like static on a Television screen except in color). This error happens more and more frequently, and downloading new drivers only helps for a day or two. I am lead to believe that this is video related or somehow related to the processor (Crashes happen most often when playing games online). This really makes me angry as my warranty expired a few months ago, and I would like not to replace any hardware. Any ideas or similar situations?

• 2 months later...

I had this problem for several months too ....

- M1710 / Go 7900 GS -

I tryed everything ....changed system memory from 1x512mo ram to 2x1go.. Keeping everything up to date ... CG drivers , updated bios (A07) , Lan drivers, wireless drivers, CG BIOS to GTX / GSX .... Underclocking CG memory ... Nothing changed...

After reading tons of forums and checking dell website .... i saw A04 bios release note and " the thermal control enhancement"

Fixes/Enhancements

------------------

1. Added support for newer versions of the Intel processor.

2. Improved Express Card support for Vista.

3. Thermal control enhancement.

4. Hide BIOS setting menu item "CPU Overclock Support" if processor

does not support overclock feature.

5. Updated message prompt for unmatched adapter & battery.

6. Updated Computrace ROM to support under Vista.

As i always knewn it was a kind of heat problem, i changed bios back to A03 and ... all is working fine now! (And my CG at full charge is 3°C less !) :)

Previously i had 1 crash per day while playing World of Warcraft, since a week and even if i launch 2 World of warcraft windows (in 1680x1050 windowed mode) , no more crashes ! :P

If you got M1710 ... you should give it a try :)

Downloaded A03 driver on dell support website :

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downl...p;fileid=181597

Hope this helps!

Edited by Sky-Dexter

• 1 year later...
Guest dell fails
Hey I have a Dell XPS M170 with 2 GB Ram and a 7900GTX. I get the same crash when running demanding games such as Counter Strike Source or Company of Heroes. The screen used to give me the "Hardware Malfunction" page now it just gets digitized and crashes. (The screen looks like static on a Television screen except in color). This error happens more and more frequently, and downloading new drivers only helps for a day or two. I am lead to believe that this is video related or somehow related to the processor (Crashes happen most often when playing games online). This really makes me angry as my warranty expired a few months ago, and I would like not to replace any hardware. Any ideas or similar situations?

Yes guys this problem is video card related. The problem is due to the laptop overheating the memory on the video card has been damaged so whenever your laptop wants to try to use graphic card memory you get the blue screen. only way to resolve this is to replace the graphics card entirely. If u want to run a test to prove its a video card memory problem run a custom test in diagnostics and run a video memory test and watch and take note of the errors u get and call dell.

• 9 years later...

YES! This is the problem I have been having recently too - This is why I have downloaded new drivers and a program to control my fans in my laptop because I thought it had to do with my Graphics Card when I going for print something by Dell printer its shows an 0x803c010b  error, can anyone assist me about this how to remove Dell Printer Error 0x803c010b.