LaptopVideo2Go Forums

TouchPad Help

vRS

Hi, i have got two Advent 8111 laptops and they are running fine apart from one small problem with one of the laptops.

The touchpad wasnt very good when i bought the laptops, and was originally installed as Standard pointing device on PS/2 Port 3.

I then installed the latest synaptics drivers on both laptops, but only one of them works properly.

I can change different settings on one, and can use the vertical scrolling, but on the other i cant change anything or do the vertical scrolling.

After installing the latest drivers, one of the touchpads is detected as Synaptics TouchPad V6.2 (the one with scrolling working), and the other is still Standard Pointing Device (the one that doesnt work).

Here are some pics to explain what is happening.

The first laptop where the scrolling and the drivers are working,

Laptop1Pic1.gif

Laptop1Pic2.gif

The second laptop where the scrolling isnt working.

laptop2pic1.jpg

laptop2pic2.jpg

In the device manager the touchpad is now coming up as Synaptics PS/2 Port Pointing Device, and when i go to 'mouse properties' on the 'buttons' tab under devices it says Synaptics TouchPad V6.2 on PS/2 Port 3, and also it says the same on the 'Device Settings' tab.

Then i did the same thing on the second laptop using the same drivers, but this time i get the little icon on the tray, but still cant use the vertical scrolling feature.

In the device manager the mouse is listed the same as on the first laptop, Synaptics PS/2 Port Pointing Device.

But when i go into 'mouse properties' on the 'buttons' tab under devices on the second laptop it says Standard Pointing Device on PS/2 Port 3, and also it says the same on the 'Device Settings' tab, whereas on the first laptop it says Synaptics TouchPad V6.2 on PS/2 Port 3.

Also when i click on settings i cant see any options apart from 'Overview' and 'Buttons', whereas on the first laptop i can change other settings such as 'Tapping', 'Virtual Scrolling', 'Pointer Motion' and also 'Sensitivity'.

I dont understand why it is working fine on one laptop and not on the other. They are identical laptops with the same hardware, and i have used the same latest drivers from the Synaptics website, but still cant get the mouse to work properly on the second laptop.

Also the touchpad on the second is pretty bad, and gets annoying after a while as it highlights, drags stuff when you just try and move the mouse normally.

Am i doing something wrong somewhere?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Well, I have no idea but to blame;

1-Hardware

2-Some software on other laptop.

Have you tried clean install ..? Also please post your NERD log so we can see the devices on both of the laptops.

• 11 months later...

Hi thanks for your reply, yes i have tried a clean install many times.

I also took the laptop back and replaced it for a new one. And it still has the same problem.

Here are the NERD files for both.

The only thing that i have spotted in the logs are this part

ACPI\SYN0804\4&38462492&0

Thanks

NERD_Log_of_working_Touchpad.zip

NERD_Log_of_Touchpad_not_working.zip

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Any suggestions? I have the same problem with my Acer ASPIRE 7720G.

Uninstall all Synaptics driver.

Apply Generic Remove Phantom Device Procedure (see link in my signature).

Go to Safe Mode and remove all phantom devices. Aslo have a search for all "syn*" files and directories and delete them (only delete Synaptics files, don#t delete files which also start with Syn.... needs manual/visual doublechecking on your side). Enter the registry (regedit) and delete everything Synaptics related. Reboot to standard mode.

Download latest Synaptics drivers (don#t use the manufacturers CD). Install drivers. Reboot. Works :)

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem

45330911rh2.jpg

Tried installing many different versions of Synaptics drivers. No luck.

Tried to remove all invisible hardware from device manager, - same, no luck.

Deleted all synaptics related keys from registry, no any changes.

The hardware ID is *SYN070B.

Operating System is: Vista X64.

PS: with an alps driver , scroll feature works, but cursor movement is smoothless and scrolling smoothless too.

I still have the same problem. Never managed to find a fix for it.

I have tried lots of clean installs and everything, but still doesnt scroll with the Synaptics touchpad drivers.

The same happens as you said above with the alps, i can scroll but the alps drivers are not as good as the Synaptics ones.

• 2 weeks later...
I still have the same problem. Never managed to find a fix for it.

I have tried lots of clean installs and everything, but still doesnt scroll with the Synaptics touchpad drivers.

The same happens as you said above with the alps, i can scroll but the alps drivers are not as good as the Synaptics ones.

As I can understand no any solution available from Synaptics? :-/

• 9 months later...

I found a solution!

Thanks to Dell company.

I have downloaded from their ftp an alps drivers *7.0.101.224* (http://ftp.us.dell.com/input/R197183.exe) and movement changed to smooth!

Not so good as synaptics, but better than was!

68985936vj4.jpg

68985936vj4.jpg

w754.png

Nice try, but It doesn't seem to work with the SYN0804 device under windows 7.... anyone else found something to make virtual scrolling available?? thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest radhika

After I upgraded from XP to Windows 7, I had the same problem as vRS: the mouse would show up as a Standard Pointing Device, so I lost the virtual scrolling option. I tried Synaptics drivers; didn't work. I'd even tried ALPS drivers; that didn't work either.

Eventually, what worked was this (might sound ridiculously simple, but try it): I just installed the driver that came with the drivers CD from my HP laptop. Turned out that my laptop has ALPS, not Synaptics. The driver from the CD solved the problem.

Hope that helps!

• 1 year later...

Nice try, but It doesn't seem to work with the SYN0804 device under windows 7.... anyone else found something to make virtual scrolling available?? thanks!

I have the same thing going on , it happened after download of webroot's new upgrade and can't fix it . Also other thing have stopped working .

WebRoot was trying to help but they stop replying . I think the problem is in the new WebRoot upgrade .