LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Newbee Questions about features of 72.14 or 77.77

Rothie

Hello,

I have searched the forums here for recommendations on what driver to download and it seems that for my GPU and Laptop that I should try installing the 72.14 or 77.77 drivers. But I have a question about whether those drivers offer the features Im looking for....

Mainly, I have a Samsung 20" widescreen monitor hooked up to my laptop via VGA and I want a driver that I can use to get the monitor's native resolution (1680x1050 - currently the closest thing I can get is 1600x1200), be able to watch DVDs on it without the image being stretched out of proportion (fixed aspect ratio), and be able to pivot the monitor when needed.

Can the 72.14 driver or 77.77 drivers do these things or should I look for something newer?

Mainly I will use the monitor to operate some audio recording programs. Nothing fancy.

My setup:

Toshiba 2435-S255

Nvidia4 420 Go 32MB

current driver: 32.30

Finally, I am only using SP1 on this laptop. Will that make a difference?

Thanks much,

Rothie

Edited by Rothie

84.25 can be troublesome for GF4Go. Give 77.77 a try for example. It's sure a lot better than stock drivers for your laptop (probably 40 series ..?).

84.25 can be troublesome for GF4Go. Give 77.77 a try for example. It's sure a lot better than stock drivers for your laptop (probably 40 series ..?).

Oh sorry,

I just edited my original post after doing some research here. Sn0wl, does the 77.77 have the features that I was looking for?

thanks

Rothie

Mostly yes, just update to 77.77 and you will see how much improved it is over your 32.30, trust me. I can't be sure if the custom resolution can be achieved out of the box but I've seen many people solving the troubles with that resolution. Just do a search and you will surely find lots of results on that.

Final word: Go for 77.77.

Guest Rothie (as a guest)
Mostly yes, just update to 77.77 and you will see how much improved it is over your 32.30, trust me. I can't be sure if the custom resolution can be achieved out of the box but I've seen many people solving the troubles with that resolution. Just do a search and you will surely find lots of results on that.

Final word: Go for 77.77.

Hi again, this is Rothie (but I have momentarily misplaced my password.)

I downloaded the 77.77 driver and the modded INF. Before I get started, I am wondering if I need to enhance the INF in order to avoid the "black bar" issue.

Also secondly, The BIOS has never been updated. I wonder if that will greatly add any benefit here. Would I go to the Toshiba website to see if there is an update for that?

Thanks much (looking forward to reporting back with the results of all of this)

Rothie

Firmware updates rarely give performance boost, they are for fixing issues. Be very careful while selecting the firmware and updating since you can ruin things pretty much if you got the firmware for a different model. Blackbar fix is for some older Toshiba's, you probably don't need them. And don't make a big deal out of driver, just update and if you are unhappy, install another one :)

Guest Rothie (as guest)

Will do.

By the way, I could swear that I saw a page here that had PDFs to download that were manuals for the NVIDIA control panels, classic and new styles. Cant find them anywhere now. Do you know where they are located?

Thanks again

Rothie

Success!

I installed the modded 67.66 and it seems to be working perfectly. No black bar or anything. I did encounter one abnomality though. When booting up, my screen goes blank twice for a second or two. Had me worried that it wouldnt come back on, but it did. Is there anything that can be done for that?

Anyways, the native resolution of my new widescreen 1680x1050 works wonderfully, and I can pivot it too! Just what I was looking for. Did not test DVD playing on it yet, but the programs I am hoping to use with it seem to work just fine.

Thanks again

Rothie