LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce4 440 Go 64M

TaGmAn

Ok, this may take a minute or two, but please be patient. I'll try and be thorough, but there is a lot I must say.

Ok, I want to play a game called SilkRoadOnline (SRO). It works, until the game has been loaded for about 30 seconds, then everything starts to 'repeat'. I can play other games that take up more video specs just fine, so this has me puzzled. As a techy I start my troubleshooting. The first thing I check is the driver version. Its one version out of date (see screenshot). Oh yes, before I forget, I am using the 'GeForce4 440 Go 64M'. Any other info you may need is in my profile. The latest version is 7.7.7.0 according to HERE. I am currently using driver version 6.14.10, I think >.>; SO my next step was obviously to update my driver. The problem is, the nVidia Driver Webpage has zero support for my GFx card. So, I go Googling. This leads me to many websites, most importantly 'here'. Now, as a forum wh0re I did some searching before I even considered this post.

Here are a few of the things I found:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=9243

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=614

While this is all well and good it makes very little sense. I just want a reliable driver that is performance based. If anyone could recommend one, I'll figure out how to install it. Also, this GFx card has support for dual monitors. I don't want one bit of this. My laptop monitor is plenty for me. The problem is, when I choose 'default monitor' in the drop-down menu, ad click apply, it always goes back. And its odd. The best way to explain it is to say that the settings are 'inverted'. The default is for two monitors, and the multiple is for one. I just want it to use as little of my video ram as possible. I have been satisfied with this GFx card since I purchased this laptop, even though its only 64M, its 100% dedicated, which is what I wanted.

driverwindows.jpg

settings.jpg

I am going find out how to update the two year old BIOS on this thing. SO if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it. Thanks =D

EDIT: I found THIS page and updated my BIOS and video driver. It improved my performance on all graphics tremendously! I can't believe I waited so long to upgrade! If there is an even better driver, please refer me =D

Edited by TaGmAn

I am currently using driver version 6.14.10, I think

That's 47.16, very old - about early 2004.

I'm not sure what the best driver for the 440 would be, but I would guess a 7 series driver. Go to the 7x.xx series driver forum and go to 71.84. Download the driver, download the INF file. Extract the driver and copy the INF you downloaded to the folder. Install. All of this is outlined in the first post you linked. :)

• 3 months later...