LaptopVideo2Go Forums

BSoD with any Driver

WinVistaRocks

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and have a big problem. So I've got a GeForce FX5200 :) and Vista RTM Ultimate. And till now I have used the new nvidia driver (97.54) with the modded .inf. I haven't any problem. But now, when I try to restart my PC there's a black screen for about 5 minutes and then the whole thing crashes with a BSod caused the nvlddmkm.sys. I've tried to deinstall in save mode and reinstall -> doesn't work. Then I've tried the drivers available over WindowsUpdate -> doesn't work. Any Driver I tried doesn't work. And till now I haven't any problem, with beta builds too, no problem. But now...

When anyone can help me, plese do. :)

~WinVistaRocks

• 4 weeks later...

Yup, I have the exact same problem, except with 96.85. BTW, how do you mod the .inf for 97.54 (which I assume does not actually and theoretically support the 5200)?

Eric

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and have a big problem. So I've got a GeForce FX5200 :) and Vista RTM Ultimate. And till now I have used the new nvidia driver (97.54) with the modded .inf. I haven't any problem. But now, when I try to restart my PC there's a black screen for about 5 minutes and then the whole thing crashes with a BSod caused the nvlddmkm.sys. I've tried to deinstall in save mode and reinstall -> doesn't work. Then I've tried the drivers available over WindowsUpdate -> doesn't work. Any Driver I tried doesn't work. And till now I haven't any problem, with beta builds too, no problem. But now...

When anyone can help me, plese do. :)

~WinVistaRocks

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem. I can use the standard vga driver but if i try to use an Nvidia driver then the system locks up during boot up. funny thing is if i delete that file the system still boots up into windows. I have Vista Basic, and only bought it a week ago. I have an Nvidia Quadro FX 1000 go and it has no support from Alienware (51-M 766) since 05. on XP I used the Quadro FX 1000 drivers and it worked fine. I can't seem to find a version for vista that doesn't crash during boot-up so i assume there's a support issue in the drivers themselves. I've been tinkering with it for weeks. the modded inf files let me do a successful install but it didn't change the fact that system crashed on reboot. this isn't a minor issue I've seen it all over the net. One solution one person suggested was change the file itself to a different version and that's what i've been working on lately. I probably should download a driver uninstall utility and clean out all the nvidia files. try them one version at a time. I can get no support from alienware and I have not tried asking Nvidia yet. Maybe I should.....

The File in question is nvlddmkm.sys.

Edited by pitfrog21b