LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Switched Primary an Secondary monitor in Vista after standby

good_alias

When I have a secondary monitor (Dell 1280 by 1024) attached to the VGA port I want to use that one as a secondary monitor on the right side of the built in monitor, and at first Vista set it up like that automatically. But for a while when I resume from standby the monitors switch place. So I have to go in to display settings drag monitor 2 (the built in one) over to to the left side and check "This is my main monitor".

If I don't do this, my built in monitor is set as secondary monitor with the low resolution of the external monitor (1280 by 1024) instead of 1920 by 1200.

I believe that the built in screen was no.1 before and no Vista "names" it no.2, could this confusion be the cause of the problem? Any ideas of how I could reset this? Or any other ideas?

Dell XPS M1710

Graphics card GeForce Go 7900 GS

Driver 7.15.10.9754 same problem with 9747

I was looking for some Nvidia contral panel setting, this caused my to upgrade to the latest driver, but I had the same problem with the driver automatically installed by Vista (sorry don't know the version). But the NVidia Control Panel doesn't work.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking for this same problem and found the solution so I thought I'd share it.

I'm using a Dell Latitude 620 with Nvidia card and recently updated the Nvidia driver including Nvidia Control Panel. I started having the same problem whenever the computer was locked or went into sleep mode. I found that you have to configure your monitors to your preference using the NVidia control panel, not the windows display settings.

When I have a secondary monitor (Dell 1280 by 1024) attached to the VGA port I want to use that one as a secondary monitor on the right side of the built in monitor, and at first Vista set it up like that automatically. But for a while when I resume from standby the monitors switch place. So I have to go in to display settings drag monitor 2 (the built in one) over to to the left side and check "This is my main monitor".

If I don't do this, my built in monitor is set as secondary monitor with the low resolution of the external monitor (1280 by 1024) instead of 1920 by 1200.

I believe that the built in screen was no.1 before and no Vista "names" it no.2, could this confusion be the cause of the problem? Any ideas of how I could reset this? Or any other ideas?

Dell XPS M1710

Graphics card GeForce Go 7900 GS

Driver 7.15.10.9754 same problem with 9747

I was looking for some Nvidia contral panel setting, this caused my to upgrade to the latest driver, but I had the same problem with the driver automatically installed by Vista (sorry don't know the version). But the NVidia Control Panel doesn't work.

i too am having the same issue... exept that its a toshiba tecra m5 (worlds most unstable laptop, BTW - crap running xp, 2k3, linux and vista!... and i suspect its problems are rooted in half baked video drivers)... plus i like to stack my monitors one above the other, which isn't even an option on the nvidia control panel!... was bad enough that the previous drivers would reset it all after a reboot, but resetting it after every screen lock is making me want to throw this POS out the window! love the way nvidia knows best about what i want!

the 2nd screen flickers a lot now too...

i emailed nvidia about it... surprise, surprise, that was nearly as effective as the drivers... didn't even get an automated "thanks for complaining, your feedback helps us continue to make the worlds b-est grade products"

as i suspect is the case with many users equipped with these cards, i'm a business-ish user, i don't give a flying hoot about frame rates, i'd much rater a stable driver... if i could have found a laptop with all the spec i wanted, but say a crappy intel gma, or even a clunky old ati rage i'd have been far happier!

oh, and a way to stop it leaching half my system ram would be nice too! nice to know that it can waste 512mb on on rendering digital eylashes - but when my screen is full of text, and i have 30 windows open, i can think of other places that ram could be better used!