LaptopVideo2Go Forums

BSOD When Installing Drivers!

Muhaha

I am getting BSODs when I try to install any drivers... The problem started while I was playing a game and it crashed to the desktop. Then the screen went black and my laptop stopped responding so I manually rebooted. Upon reboot I see the centrino logo and the XP loading screen but there are weird graphical glitches like green vertical lines across the screen. Halfway through the XP loading screen I get a BSOD and the laptop restarts.

I go into safe mode and removed the drivers, reboot and this time it gets past the XP load screen. I use driver cleaner and try reinstalling the drivers but I get a BSOD during the installation :) .

I cannot select any resolution above 640x480 and 4bit color! Is my graphics card dead or could this be a software problem?

Upon loading into windows it detects my graphics card and tries to install drivers for it... Also is it possible to be writing this if my gpu is really dead?...Unless there is some kind of onboard graphics on my motherboard? I have a Z71V with geforce 6600. Does anyone know whats going on and can give me a hand?

What driver are you trying to install? You are definitely suffering from "mixed driver syndrome" and not hardware failure. If you're trying to install one of the 9x drivers, drop back to 84.25 and see if works better. Before you do that, uninstall your current driver in the Windows Control Panel and run the driver cleaner again. Reboot and give 84.25 a try when your GPU is detected - don't allow it to install automatically.

I am using XP and have tried 84.43 and 97.02 with modded inf. I also tried the official 83.00 drivers that were released by asus for this particular laptop but all yeild the same result. I also get these graphical glitches in the BIOS screen so this may be beyond corrupt or a conflict in drivers.

Unfortunately, you are right. The BIOS screen problem does indicate a hardware problem.

Can a video card still function even after it has "failed"? I'm typing this on the laptop right now, albeit in 4 bits of colour and a tiny resolution.

It can function under certain circumstances. For example, if you have a 128MB card and you have a bad memory chip at the high end of the address space, it might work until something tries to access that address. Or perhaps some of the low-level functions might work while the circuitry controlling some high-end function is fried. Or one of the clocks could be locked at a speed that's too high or low.