LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Geforce go 5200 32/64 problems

vancity_love

Problem: Whenever I install ANY driver (from toshiba.com, or from this website) the screen goes BLANK.

Safemode works, and once i delete display driver, i can boot into normal windows.

Here's what I've got:

Toshiba M35-S456 laptop

Geforce go 5200 32/64

What I've tried so far:

1) I've tried reformating computer a several times (with SP2, or modified versions). And using several different drivers for the graphic card, but nothing worked. The screen goes blank.

2) Also tried the Toshiba Recovery CD, but for some reason when i reboot the comp to use I get an error saying "This is not a Toshiba hardware" or something like that.

I also have particions on my hard drive, (ie. C: & D:) and I only format C to install windows and leave D where i have the drivers and other files saved.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Be very careful with Recovery CD/DVDs as they have/had the habit of destroying any data on by setting the system to the original disk state (repartitioning aka only the default partition is left).

Concerning the WRONG MACHINE message (i bet this is what you actually see by describing "This is not a Toshiab hardware") find the solution here: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=7011

Also i suspect that you forgot to replace the original INF file with our universal INF which fits for all laptops. I can only recommend to read the FAQ on how to do so.

Also i suspect that you forgot to replace the original INF file with our universal INF which fits for all laptops. I can only recommend to read the FAQ on how to do so.

I did in fact replace the INF file following the FAQ intructrions. The driver installs properly. It worked for awhile, but then the screen goes blank again. Same problem as before. I tried delete + re-installing the driver and even reformating the system a several times. It does not seem to be working.

Edited by vancity_love

When the screen goes blank, can you reboot and bring it back? Does the BIOS screen display properly when you boot? Check both of those and let us know what happens.

Also, check to be sure that you are in Single Display Mode, not DualView or Clone Mode.

All laptops come with a hotkey that lets you toggle between displays. (On Dell laptops, it's Fn+F8). The next time your laptop goes blank, try using your hotkey and see if that brings it back. (It may take several tries.)

When the screen goes blank, can you reboot and bring it back? Does the BIOS screen display properly when you boot? Check both of those and let us know what happens.

Also, check to be sure that you are in Single Display Mode, not DualView or Clone Mode.

All laptops come with a hotkey that lets you toggle between displays. (On Dell laptops, it's Fn+F8). The next time your laptop goes blank, try using your hotkey and see if that brings it back. (It may take several tries.)

reboot does not work. It goes thru that window with the blue bar at the start up. then it goes blank again before fully getting into windows. I do see the Toshiba Bios screen display if that's what you're talking about (with toshiba and please press F2 for whatever and F8 for something)

I've tried the Fn + F5 (F5 in my case). and it is in single view, not dual. (i do have a LCD monitor hooked up to it but whether i have it on or not it does the same thing with the laptop monitor)

Have you let it sit for a long time to see if it eventually starts up? My mom's computer does this thing where the XP loading screen comes up, goes black for about a minute, then starts.

Have you let it sit for a long time to see if it eventually starts up? My mom's computer does this thing where the XP loading screen comes up, goes black for about a minute, then starts.

Again, no. It does NOT eventually start up, it's not just a blank screen but almost like a system crash. I have to reboot. Whenever I re-install a different version of display driver, it seems to work for a bit, but if i turn on like a movie or play a game, the screen freazes and when i reboot, the screen goes blank again.

Can anybody please help?

Edited by vancity_love

From your description, I don't think it's a hardware problem. If you can get into the nvidia control panel (just after installing a new driver), go to the AGP Settings page and disable both FastWrites and Sideband Addressing. Also, check your clock speed to be sure it's at the default setting.

Also, is there any chance you have a rebuilt laptop? If the Toshiba recovery disk fails to recognize the laptop, there's a chance the components aren't the original ones, causing drivers to install incorrectly.

From your description, I don't think it's a hardware problem. If you can get into the nvidia control panel (just after installing a new driver), go to the AGP Settings page and disable both FastWrites and Sideband Addressing. Also, check your clock speed to be sure it's at the default setting.

Also, is there any chance you have a rebuilt laptop? If the Toshiba recovery disk fails to recognize the laptop, there's a chance the components aren't the original ones, causing drivers to install incorrectly.

As soon as i install the driver the monitor screen goes blank so it'll be hard to fix the AGP settings. The computer has the same components except the hard drive which i had gotten replaced once before.

Whenever I re-install a different version of display driver, it seems to work for a bit, but if i turn on like a movie or play a game, the screen freazes and when i reboot, the screen goes blank again.

Before you turn on a move or play a game, can you check your AGP settings first?

Before you turn on a move or play a game, can you check your AGP settings first?

I used to be able to do that. Now, if i reinstall the driver, as soon as setup finishes, the screen goes blank... and in safemode I don't think I can change agp settings, can I?

That's true. It sounds like it might be time to have a service person take a look at it.

Be very careful with Recovery CD/DVDs as they have/had the habit of destroying any data on by setting the system to the original disk state (repartitioning aka only the default partition is left).

Concerning the WRONG MACHINE message (i bet this is what you actually see by describing "This is not a Toshiab hardware") find the solution here: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=7011

i've tried the method on the link u gave me without any luck. i dont think it applies to my model.

• 3 weeks later...

I have this issue with Vista when resuming from Standby.

Your model should have 3 chrome buttons on the deck beside the left side of the keyboard.

Press the Video In (middle button) 2 or three times to see if it comes to life.

It seems to be a driver issue with mine (since there aren't any official Vista drivers for the Go5200 of any quality).