LaptopVideo2Go Forums

powermizer problem go7600

HchorionicGT

I have the lv2go 84.21 driver/forceware suite for my Go 7600, but powermizer doesn't recognize when i'm on battery mode. it perpetually says that the current power source is "AC outlet" even though i'm clearly on battery. This is annoying because my power profile is max battery saving for battery and max performance for ac outlet, and i have to end up toggling my ac power profile to max battery when i'm on battery instead of having powermizer recognizing the battery and switching to battery profile. is there a fix for this?

thanks in advance

The first thing to check is whether it's a driver problem or whether something is wrong with Windows or your hardware. When you disconnect the A/C jack, what happens in the system notification tray on your taskbar? You should see a battery icon appear.

If it doesn't appear, then the problem is with Windows or (more likely) with your hardware.

If it appears correctly, drop back to driver 71.44 and test that. PowerMizer was changed after the 71.xx series and stopped working correctly on many laptops. This will tell us if that's the problem or if there's a problem with that specific driver.

thanks for the input LSudlow.

1. i do get a battery icon. In fact, i use RM clock and my RM clock battery meter appears after the AC is unplugged.

2. If powermizer stopped working incorrectly for many laptops, i think that mine is probably just one of those laptops then. Is there anything bad about running a driver with a bad powermizer? I switched to this driver from my manufacturer's stock 83.90 drivers and i have noticed that my battery life has dropped about 30 minutes, even on battery saving mode. This of course, comes with a benefit (and is probably a direct result of the loss in battery life) as my GPU now idles at about 49 C instead of 59 C. It seemed like the GPU fan didn't kick in until the idling temp of the card shot up to 68 C on the 83.90s and turned off at 58 C whereas the highest i get now is about 53 C momentarily before it goes back down to 49-50 C. I'm guessing my loss in battery life is the fan running more.

anyhow, when i get a chance, i'll try the 71.xx suite and see what happens, but i probably shouldn'tkeep it since it is so outdated.

You're right - nothing bad will happen other than your battery running down a bit faster. However, the shorter battery life is mostly due to your GPU clock not stepping down when you unplug (which is also why your fan is running more).

In a way, you're lucky. For many with the problem, the GPU clock does step down to minimum when the laptop is unplugged, but then fails to return to normal when the laptop returns to A/C power, so at least you're keeping your performance.

The 7600 was made much later than the 71.xx series of drivers.... would that really be such a good idea to try that?

i read in the 84.21 driver discussion that this was a common problem. Someone noted that the inf v31.61 added a tweak for powersource detection, but no one ever reported back on whether or not it worked.

i'm still a novice in dealing with this situation, so can someone tell me where to find this v31.61 inf file and how i can go about using it with the 84.21 drivers? do i need to just get the 31.61 file and replace the inf file in the driver and reinstall it completely or is there something simpler?

edit: now i see that the 84.25s are the latest generally recommended drivers. should i just get that with the latest inf version possible and reinstall?

Edited by HchorionicGT

It won't hurt to try. Pieter's inv version numbers are at the top of each inf.

But the 7 series of chip introduced a ton of new stuff... I don't think the drivers would support SM 3.0 or anything else new on the Go 7 series.

smax, I agree the 7x drivers would be out of date, but just wanted to see if PowerMizer worked or not.

follow up: i updated the 84.21 drivers with the v31.68 inf file and did a complete driver reinstall and so far everything is great :) Idle temps are 10 C lower than before and the powersource is being correctly recognized :-D. I just played bf2 for an hour straight and everything was great. Thanks you guys!

Edited by HchorionicGT

That's great! Thanks for letting us know!

:)

That's great! Thanks for letting us know!

:)

Sorry to piggyback on this thread, but do you have any suggestions about this PowerMizer problem (using the manufacturer's drivers -- I tried some older HP drivers too with no effect):

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=12558

I asked on the nVidia and HP-support forums also, but got no responses there either. Am I just stuck with whatever the driver installation gives me?

if your quadro is supported by the laptopvideo2go drivers, try giving them a try after some rsearch intoexactly what you need