LaptopVideo2Go Forums

440 Go & aero

ForestCat

Hi guys (girls?),

First, yes I searched. The forums don't seem to support multiple keyword search, i.e. "440 aero" (no quotes) yields no results. So I searched 440 & browsed posts back to June '06. Doesn't seem like anyone ever got it to work. Before I waste a lot of bandwidth on technical particulars, do any of you folks know for certain that the 64m 440 Go can not/will not/never will support glass under Vista 32, even if I ever get past the Code 43 issue? If there's any hope, I'll persist. I'm not asking for fish, but a fishing rod, or even directions to one would be greatly appreciated at this point...

I have a trusty old i8100 that I transplanted the 440 Go into. It has this gorgeous UltraSharp UXGA panel that, frankly, spanks my 20" Syncmaster 204B. It has a _real_ RS-232 port, a 1.44 floppy, a removeable media bay w/ a 100g drive and the fact that the primary hard drive carrier (i have a few) pops in & out in seconds makes swapping hd's/os's a breeze. I like this thing, it's my workhorse, and if at all possible, I'd really like to get Vista & aero working. I don't care if the performance for games would be sluggish-nonexistant. It's a 2d machine, but I like eye-candy(ducking)...

Is there an aero-compatible video upgrade for the 8100 beyond the 440 Go? I couldn't find any.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks very much for any experiences/insight.

--=ForestCat==-

You will need to use your fishing rod to fish in Linux and Beryl if you want anything close to aero on a DX7 card. (I am not even sure if it supports D7, know it supports DX8)

Otherwise you need to shell out for a super fast PC to run all the aero stuff smoothly. Personally most of us mods would recommend that you stay away from Vista for the time being, especially with the content protection and lack of control over how you use your computer.

If you are curious about Beryl there are many videos on Youtube and Google video, just google it. It beats Vista's aero that doesn't work right half the time anyway.

Also google is a good way to search this forum.

The moderator Fabrice uses Beryl, so ask him about it.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showuser=3133

I haven't made the jump to Linux yet, so I can't help you with it.

You have to have DirectX 9.0c compliant and compatible video card to run the AeroGlass GUI. No exceptions. This means you MUST have a GeForce 5200 or ATi Radeon 9500 series at minimum to run it.

Just put a quick post in the news to try and get accross Vista's steep requirements.

OEM Laptop and Desktop manufacturers are rubbing their hands together, as Vista = upgrade if you own less than a 5x00 GPU

There are software that will transform your xp machine to look like vista, if all your after is the eyecandy.

Hey, Everyone,

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I'm sorry it took me so long to post back. 2 hell days at work.

A couple of things I want to comment on initially. What I know about Vista & h/w req.'s, I know only from having installed it from scratch on a spare 20g drive in my i8100. So I'm basically a day one noob. Having said that...

Please look here a minute. This is a 400k 1600x1200 screen grab from the same 8100 running XP Pro SP2 & a few tweaks ;-)

You'll need to view it full size to read the dxdiag output...

screengrab.jpg

Please note the DirectX version!

I might be missing something stupid here...

Anyhoo, I'm a big fan of Linux (CentOS 4.4 at the moment) & open source in general. I should have been a bit more specific re: eye candy. I need to run what comes out of Redmond, not because I have any great love for it, although recent incarnations are more likeable. As a hw/sw network consultant, I need to support these os's for my clients, who get them packaged on pc's they buy from dell, compusa, et al. I can't memorize everything, so I keep the laptop handy. Since I have to look at them (& use them for stuff like Dreamweaver 8, PS CS2 & a raft of plugins, etc that don't exist for linux, I like a certain amount of bling on my os's (see above)

As far as content management, DRM, etc., I figure there will be some "fixes' forthcoming. Any machine I have that has XP either:

A. Doesn't have anything on it I care about, including any personal info

B. Has bogus gateway & dns entries, and talks to my other machines through netbeui. They also have third party app firewalls, although I'm sure there are the ms equiv of rootkits in XP (and Vista) allowing the os to phone home around any software firewall in existence.

XP is chatty as hell. Don't trust it farther that I can reach. Vista is several orders of magnitude worse. Can you say Big Brother? Sure you can...

Well, thanks again & please do enlighten me on what this DirectX 9.0c that seems to be purring along nicely on my 440 Go means for any hope of Aero, even if doggy.

--==ForestCat==--

Well, thanks again & please do enlighten me on what this DirectX 9.0c that seems to be purring along nicely on my 440 Go means for any hope of Aero, even if doggy.

--==ForestCat==--

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the aero requirement is that the card is 9.0c compliant. This is independent of the Directx software, which will run on practically anything. I think our cards are only just barely directx 7 or maybe 8.0 compliant. No good for aero.

Anyway, who needs aero, it looks like you were able to get the shiny desktop you wanted without vista, so kudos on that!

Crap. Oh well. Is there any dx9 compatible video card that can be shoehorned into an i8100? Like I said, besides the fact that I don't have 2+ grand for a new uxga/wuxga laptop burning a hole in my wallet, I'm kind of used to my 8100 & its "personality modules" (quick-change hard drives).

This will probably get off topic, but do you know of any current vintage uxga/wuxga laptops with externally accessible drive carriers like the 8100/8200?

And thanks for the kudos on the desktop. I did that, like four years+ ago, I forgot how the hell I even did it. I got it mostly dialed in, then went on to other things, like installing Chief Architect 8 on the laptop, spending the next year designing a house (I'm not an architect, not for the faint-hearted...), the following two years building the house, and the rest of my life not ever being able to sit again due to the thorough shagging I took from the contractor involved. But I digress...

Actually, the _major_ issue is the CODE 43, and the fact that since I have _no_ hardware accel w/ a disabled video card or standard VGA driver, I can't even use any third part ui bling. What I'd really like is to learn how to hack .inf files from 2k/xp into a workable Vista format. I would think that if I've got a happy 440 Go running DXsomething (7/8?) on this machine w/ XP, it ought to at least run this well (without aero) under vista. So far, no dice. All pointers appreciated.

--==ForestCat==--

Edited by ForestCat

Vista needs Pixel Shader 2.0 and higher to enable AERO effects.

This was implemented on the 5x00 series GPU's.

MS decided to just not support GPU's below the 5x00, although I think some 4x00 (not 4x0) GPU can use Vista but not Vista.

The very early beta's of Vista did support all GPU's as my GF2go was working quite happily (no AERO ofcourse)

MS decided to just not support GPU's below the 5x00, although I think some 4x00 (not 4x0) GPU can use Vista but not Vista.

Vista but not Aero. :)

I discovered something further on this. Hoping someone here who really understands nVidia .inf files can shed some light:

An old i8200 XP driver actually installs under Vista, and shows up in Device Manager _without_ any exclamation points or error codes. Problem is that there is no nVidia advanced display property tab/sheet, no way to access acceleration/GL settings, etc, and nview is broken.

Installing the latest drivers from latest builds/mods yields error code 43, as before

Here's what's interesting.

The working 8200 driver Device Instance Path:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0174&SUBSYS_00D41028&REV_A3

The non-working Guru driver:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0174&SUBSYS_00E61028&REV_A3

Am I correct in assuming that the above is h/w specific, i.e. should be the same for any given card in any given slot?

I tried to do a search & replace in the registry, but some of the keys have system rights, as admin I can't take ownership of the keys, and psexec -i seems broken in Vista,

Am I barking up the right tree? I'd be content at this stage to have the 440 go working properly (acceleration, control panel) even without Aero, which I realize is a lost cause.

I started looking at new laptops, and it's depressing. The 17" models are huge. The only 15" WUXGA models I could find (Dell 820, precision, 15xx) have crappy video cards. I'm looking pretty hard at the Asus G1. I'd rather have the 7900, but the 7700 is still decent, I can probably learn to live with WSXGA. Not having a second internal hd or the ability to swap hd's as fast as pcmcia cards is something I'm gonna hate.

Thanks again for your help everyone. I'm grateful for all feedback.

ForestCat

Hello,

I discovered something further on this. Hoping someone here who really understands nVidia .inf files can shed some light:

An old i8200 XP driver actually installs under Vista, and shows up in Device Manager _without_ any exclamation points or error codes. Problem is that there is no nVidia advanced display property tab/sheet, no way to access acceleration/GL settings, etc, and nview is broken.

does that mean that you get the gForce4 440 working with Vista? I have the same '43' error. Which driver did you use? I'd like to use this card with Vista (even without Aero) but I allways get the error 43 and I have no real graphics card.

Thanks

Ronny

I have the same issue. Have tried every driver under the sun. The only one that works is the Microsoft Dell 8200 driver but that crashed when using ie7. Is there any driver in existence which will work with vista and a 440 go without causing issues?

• 3 months later...
Guest Guest

Hello,

I also desperately looking for a driver for my 440 on vista and.....Same problem of error 43...

Then windows put a simple VGA driver, thats pity.

Drivers for cards under the 5x00 series have been discontinued by Nvidia for Vista. ATi/AMD has done the same. They still have support for 2000/XP/2003 OSes.

The ONLY company supporting non-DirectX 9.0c devices is Intel with their on-board solutions which do NOT have Pixel Shader 2.0 support. This is the ONLY video chip series supported by Vista Home Basic.

My advice... upgrade. No other way around it.

Drivers for cards under the 5x00 series have been discontinued by Nvidia for Vista. ATi/AMD has done the same. They still have support for 2000/XP/2003 OSes.

The ONLY company supporting non-DirectX 9.0c devices is Intel with their on-board solutions which do NOT have Pixel Shader 2.0 support. This is the ONLY video chip series supported by Vista Home Basic.

My advice... upgrade. No other way around it.

Just to let you all know, I'm running Vista Enterprise 32 bit on my Toshiba 2455-S3001 with a GF4 420 Go. I've got full acceleration (excluding Aero, of course) using FMS NVidia drivers version 72.14. I used the INF mod to get Sleep to work properly, and now all the games and graphics that worked on XP work just as well (strangely, arguably better) on Vista. So, it is possible, without upgrading, just don't expect all the eye candy that's so strongly marketed with Vista.

• 1 month later...
Guest Greg K.

I have a toshiba 5200 with the Nvidia 460 Go graphics card. browsing these forums, from what i understand i might be able to get VISTA installed without AERO support (which is fine). I was wondering, there is a toshiba 5205-Sxx model that

comes with a NVIDIA 5600 Go, is this card compatible with AERO, and if it is, any possibilities to upgrade my existing 460Go to the 5600go ?