LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Intel�s Extreme Processors Coming to Notebooks.

mobilenvidia

Found this over at XBit labs something for must have the fastest CPU to look forward to.

There is no news that some companies and individuals install mobile processors into desktops to make them quieter and keep power consumption low, while other are installing high-performance desktop chips into mobile computers in order to run demanding applications faster. Apparently, Intel wants to appeal both types of users with ?Extreme? editions of its Core 2 chips for notebooks.

Along with the new mobile platform code-named Santa Rosa, Intel is projected to introduce Core 2 Extreme processors for notebooks (code-named Merom XE), which will deliver higher clock-speeds compared to their brethren among Core 2 Duo lineup. In the second or the third quarter of 2007 Intel will unveil the Core 2 Extreme X7800 chip with 2.60GHz clock-speed, 4MB cache and 800MHz processor system bus (PSB), while in the fourth quarter the chipmaker will release Core 2 Extreme X7900, a 2.80GHz version of the Merom XE processor, a news-story at HKEPC web-site claims.

The new microprocessors will deliver enhanced performance to notebooks or desktop-class performance to small form-factor personal computers (PCs) with power envelope inline with mobile microprocessors. However, users seeking for premium-speed mobile chip will have to pay the price: the Core 2 Extreme X7800 is projected to cost $795 in 1000-unit quantities.

In fact, the world?s largest producer of x86 central processing units (CPUs) is already shipping special Intel Core 2 Duo T7600G processors with unlocked multiplier and processor system bus speeds to personal computer makers planning who want to offer their customers some additional performance by pre-overclocking the microprocessors in their notebooks. One of machines ? Area-51 m5790 Special Edition ? is available from Alienware right now. Moreover, in the past computer makers, such as Dell, even installed Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition processors into their laptops.

Intel Corp.?s officials did not comment on the news-story.

Forgive me, but hasn't this been possible since core2 duo came out. Or is this about a totally different processor. I was given the option to have core 2 duo when i bought this laptop, and i bought this way back in december of 05 :) . I know alienware for sure does have cuo 2 duo extremes in their systems, saw one over at gateway as well. I guess others are finally doing so as well :)