LaptopVideo2Go Forums

97.92 Empty control panel, know why, but need help fixing!

tomb18

History:

I purchased a new video card, an 8800gtx. The install went fine (97.92 drivers on XP64), but it seemed that many of the options in the nvidia control panel were not right. For example, they seemed to be for a previous video card. I didn't think much about it and a couple of days later, i made some changes to the control panel settings and thought everything was ok. Well, upon the next reboot, i went to the control panel and it was empty!! It normally says " Select Catagory" and then gives icons for 3d settings, Display etc. They were now all gone.

Reinstalling the software, did not help.

I took a look at the System information in the control panel and I noticed that 4 DLL were missing and these DLL's were present on another computer that had a functioning control panel. (nvdisps.dll, nvgames.dll etc)

OK So I figure that I'll try loading them with regsvr32. Ok, this gives me an access denied.

So, I load up process monitor, and take a look at what is happening when I try to load the dll. It seems that there are several HKCR keys that this dll attemps to access, but cannot since I am loading it as administrator and the rights give system full control but not admin.

So, I proceed to give myself full control to these keys, one by one, and now the dll loads and my control panel is back.

However, this is tedious, I will still have to do this for 3 other categories in the control panel.

I have a number of questions I was hoping that someone could answer:

1) Obviously there is a bug in nvidia's installation routines and it is most likely taking the admistrator credentials to load the dll's at which point they fail. How can one assure that they are being loaded as system?

2) When are dll's loaded during system startup? Are then just called by the device driver?

3) Can anyone think of a way to fix this?

Thanks!