LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Video Overlay issue with non OEM drivers - Go 5650

ciper

I have a laptop with the Geforce FX Go 5650. I am currently running Windows XP with the latest patches. I tried version 97.44 back in december and had the same issue. Today I came back to try 97.92 hoping the issue was resolved but it is not. When I revert to the OLD OEM drivers the video overlay works properly. I usually use Mplayer but while troubleshooting I also tried Windows Media Player.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Regarding Mplayer, http://www.mplayerhq.hu/ is the homepage. I recommend all of you try it. It is the best media player I have found so far. It will even play corrupted or unsupported files with pretty good success.

Have you tried Overlay Fix in FAQ?

I searched the faq and found this link http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=9211 is this what you refer to? If so I will try to reinstall the drivers with an inf that has the modified settings. The link mentions that you can modify the INF using the enhancer but I don't see an option for it.

Ahh, I assume its the option named VMR Fix.

Edited by ciper

Yes, VMR fix that is. Try and see if it works after reinstalling the driver with fixed INF settings.

I have successfully installed the drivers and modified inf and I'm able to play videos. However there is a new issue. When playing videos they are now extremely dark and I can only the tips of the brightest objects as red dots. The same thing happens no matter the application.

I've found that the video will display properly if its the second video playing. For example I open one copy of the video and let it play then open a second instance of the application and open the same video. Does the second video use a different display method?

That's weird, anyway sorry but I don't have any idea. If you can't solve the problem only thing I can say is to use 71.89 which is a good driver for GFFX series. Your next bet would be finding "OverlayMode2", "OverlayMode3" , "OverlayMode4" settings in registry and change values. After each change be sure to open control panel settings to enable them. There might be several occurences of these keys in registry, you have to find which ones are valid and used.

I downloaded 7189 and used the INF optimizer to create an inf with the VMR setting. The video overlay is working and the image is normal. I would like to be able to use a newer driver but this will work for now.

Why do you really need to use a newer driver? The 6x.xx and 7x.xx are generally the best for the FX series.