LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Where to buy Gap Pads (thick ThermalPads)

wwteo

Hi,

I've recently made the mistake of opening my laptop to see if I can replace and improve the heating inside. After opening, I realised I had torn the thermal pad for the GPU inside. Replacing AS5 did not help at all. I'm looking for some high quality gap pads now as I know the gap is quite big between the heat sink and the video card inside the Pi 1556. CPU seems to be fine. Anywhere I can find in Europe? hopefully delivered to France. so a high quality gap pad for 40 euros should be fine for something that will last 2 years or more... I'm not sure if FSC will deliver me some spare thermal pads, but I'd like to see the video card last 2 years until I upgrade to a 8600/9600 from Ice-Tea.

I saw the Bergquist 3000s30 which was nice but I can't find it on sale anywhere.

Thanks for the tips guys.

W

Edited by wwteo

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, I've already got some samples of Chomerics Therm-a-gap F574, 974 and V-Therm. Which one is more suitable for go 6800 GPU and which one for the memories? And what about the thickness?

I have found that Bergquist 3000S30 does not have a high enough thermal transfer rating. Try to get something in the 5000S35 class. It has a rating of 5W/mK.

Bob

I just ordered a batch of 6W/mk material but I won't get it for another 7 weeks and I don't have enough to send out stuff now.

Sorry.

Chomerics V-Therm has 6W/m-k of thermal conductivity, I'm still waiting for a sample...

Anyone knows what's that sort of gauze on the left? It's a banal gauze or what else?

post-6-1078199629_thumb.jpg

post-8385-1178715282_thumb.jpg

Edited by Maxamilo

finally some bigger responses.

its too late i ordered the samples from bergquist

i guess i should have looked further to realise there were better gap pads out there!

at the moment i just cut parts of my old gap pad from the memory portions and attached it into the gpu part... then temperatures returned to normal...

as a last resort i bought a sheet of copper which ends up cheaper in fact... after i find someone to cut it into 3cm by 3cm by 1mm pieces and maybe stick thin thermal pads all over the place....

anyone see the new nvidia mobile cards? 8M is quite a strange name

Edited by wwteo

as a last resort i bought a sheet of copper which ends up cheaper in fact... after i cut it into 3cm by 3cm by 1mm pieces and stick thin thermal pads all over the place....

Did it work? Comment ça s'est passé?

Yeah, and it's supposed to be lovable! :)

finally some bigger responses.

its too late i ordered the samples from bergquist

i guess i should have looked further to realise there were better gap pads out there!

as a last resort i bought a sheet of copper which ends up cheaper in fact... after i cut it into 3cm by 3cm by 1mm pieces and stick thin thermal pads all over the place....

To WWTEO -You want to be real careful with that as there is a big chance of something shorting. The good thing about gap pads is that they are Heat conducting and electorally insulating.

To Ice-Tea - High thermal conductive gap pads are insanely expensive for the end user. You might want to consider selling kits with screws, nuts and a reasonable size gap pad square. You could make a good profit and the end user would still be getting a good deal.

Bob

Well, MXM Upgraders get them for free.

I don't have a problem selling patches to others, but prices would rise pretty fast. They are not cheap to start with, then there's shipping, I'd need to make something out of it, administration,...

If I'd do it, it would still be something like 10?/patch. Doesn't sound like a very good deal :)

Did it work? Comment ça s'est passé?

Yeah, and it's supposed to be lovable! :)

haven't dun it yet need to find someone who can cut the 1mm copper sheet into 1cm by 1.2cm piece

yeah bob i realised that now so i'm starting to think copper sheet is only for the gpu. the rest will be cheep gap pads

>>I don't have a problem selling patches to others, but prices would rise pretty fast. They are not cheap to start with, then there's shipping, I'd need to make something out of it, administration,...

If I'd do it, it would still be something like 10?/patch. Doesn't sound like a very good deal<<

Yeah but even at $14 bucks a shot it is worth it considering that a single sheet costs the end user many that much when the user can find them. Most companies do not want to sell just one sheet. In addition, companies that send out samples are going to get wise pretty soon and not send them out to end users as they are really meant to go to companies who maybe using them in production. The expectation here is that they will be receiving large order when device go into production.

Bob

Heh... Well, I may just offer it as an option in the store. Nobody'd be forced to buy it :)