LaptopVideo2Go Forums

MXM Type IV

jessi3k3

According to my contact at nVidia, "MXM IV" is something that does not exist or is at least not something cooked u pby nVidia. They are still supporting Type I through III. Type IV is probably something cooked up by Clevo to make their notebooks sound more upgradeable or more advanced than 'mere' Type III notebooks.

I dont know Ice but it kind of makes sense. The 8800 platform seems to be very powerhungry and bound to produce alot of heat.

All I can say is that nVidia is not aware of a MXM Type IV.

As for power and heat: I don't see how power is a problem, especially not with the never used Type HE in the spec. And seeing how Clevo plans to put two of these cards in a notebook, I don't see how they would need a formfactor that can handle 70W per card or something..

Actually, it would make sense that nVidia does their absolute best to keep power consumption acceptable. This would also explain why there is such a hughe gap between desktop and mobile launch.

• 1 month later...

Talking about the whole 8800 do you have any idea if your going to get any in stock, if ever? I am itching for Direct X 10

I have heard there will be an 8800M until september as NVIDIA since it that is when the .65 parts come out.

Bob

As Bob says, these parts are not released yet, so it' hard to comment on availability.

But the "Type IV" Clevo mentions seems to be Type HE. I ordered one and will let you guys know if it's compatible.

Bob, I need to get in touch with you guys. The time difference is making it different to call. I'll just reply to your last email instead for the time being..

Well I am looking into buying a Clevo D900C and I thought I would share some good sites that I found R&J Tech is good if you want to get a barebone laptop and Xotic PC is good if you want to have them build it for you and both of the sites have the Clevo M570RU

As Bob says, these parts are not released yet, so it' hard to comment on availability.

But the "Type IV" Clevo mentions seems to be Type HE. I ordered one and will let you guys know if it's compatible.

Bob, I need to get in touch with you guys. The time difference is making it different to call. I'll just reply to your last email instead for the time being..

Does someone think that it'll be possible to cram one of these babies into an Amilo xi 1546 when the card will be released? I'm planning to buy the laptop, and any comments on its upgradeability would be very appreciated.

The most frightening thing is the thermal envelope of the 8800m. We all know what happened to the desktop version. Because chassis mods are always possible if needed, but cooling solution mods aren't as easy to come by.

Not to mention any voiding of the warranty... :)

Edited by TheGovernator

I plan to do some testing on "Type IV" shortly. I'll post my findings.-

• 3 weeks later...

Found one on Ebay, look at the price! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/7950GTX-512MB-SLI-Read...VQQcmdZViewItem

And i think you need no sli-bridge, like you don't need one on some crossfire setups, just to save space or something.

Edited by gusIII

Kris, pls. create a news post about this wonderful event!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Taiman89

Hmm, so according to Ice Tea's article, the D900C and M570RU both sport this new MXM IV, and thus the best bet for compatibility with 8800 would be with those models? I would like to wait for 8800 to come out, but Im under a lot of pressure to purchase a laptop very soon, so I'm trying to find the best possibility for future upgrading to an 8800. If Nvidia now acknowledges this MXM IV, then most likely it should allow for the most options in future gpu upgrades?

It has not even been confimed there will be a m8800...

If there will ever be one, chances are Clevo will put it on their Type IV card. Whether it will be compatible is another story. Whether they will sell and support it is anybody's guess :)

What kind of power supplies do laptops with 7950 GTX's SLI sport? Because at the moment laptops sport a 180w power supply (toshiba x205) or a 200w power supply (Upcoming Dell XPS) and that's only for one 8700m GT.

Edited by jessi3k3

My D901C with 2x7950GTX's has a 220W power supply brick. (And by brick, I mean brick!) lol