LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Aerofoil - reduce GPU usage when on battery

Guest Benjamin

Guest Benjamin

Hi,

I'm just posting to say I've written a small utility that will automatically disable Vista's Aero Glass when running on battery (and renable it when on AC or application exit).

This should hopefully reduce power and memory usage and extend battery life. All I ask is that you read the short associated blog entry before downloading it (yes I'm karma whoring to make my blog a little more popular) :)

I ask that you don't print the direct link to the zip download here please, although I can't stop you.

http://silentdevelopment.blogspot.com/2007...e-aeros_06.html

Cheers,

Benjamin (aka Silent Development/Software)

Uhhh, Vista does this automatically already :)

Guest Benjamin

Can you tell me what powersave option I need to switch on for it to do this? I've not seen this in any of the advanced powersave options, hence why I wrote the app, but if it already does it.... :)

Cheers,

Benjamin

Uhhh, Vista does this automatically already :)

Actually, whenever I switch to Powersaver mode my theme changes to Vista Basic. Whenever I change my power setting to Balanced or High Performance my theme changes bac to Aero. The thing is that it does not differentiate whether it is plugged in or not. I can have my laptop plugged in while in power saver but still in Aero Basic. I can be unplugged while in High performance yet Aero is turned on. You catch my drift. I havent checked my advanced power options because I cannot find an option for that. It just does it automatically. I have a Toshiba by the way.

Guest Benjamin

I've just done some digging in the options and it looks like power saver is the only mode that will disable Aero when the AC is out (it switches Aero on for me when on AC). There doesn't seem to be a specific "Switch aero off when not on AC" option - it's just tied to the power saver plan. I guess in this respect the utility is still useful if you have your own balanced plan and need aero to be disabled when not on AC.

Benjamin

Actually, whenever I switch to Powersaver mode my theme changes to Vista Basic. Whenever I change my power setting to Balanced or High Performance my theme changes bac to Aero. The thing is that it does not differentiate whether it is plugged in or not. I can have my laptop plugged in while in power saver but still in Aero Basic. I can be unplugged while in High performance yet Aero is turned on. You catch my drift. I havent checked my advanced power options because I cannot find an option for that. It just does it automatically. I have a Toshiba by the way.