LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Alienware Alienware Aurora� m9700 vs Dell XPS m1710

swatch

Hello, as the time has come to change my old Compaq Go6400 64MB to something that would actually play games and be a little bit more of a desktop replacement I came across very tough decission.

Im having a limited budget of 1300pounds , perhaps a bit more, and Im thinking of 2 laptops now :

Dell XPS m1710 Core2Duo with Geforce 7950 GTX 512MB and Alienware Aurora? m9700 with dual 7900gs 256MB each (AMD Turion 64 Mobile ML34 1.8GHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache ).

Which of theese 2 would be faster (better) as I couldnt find any webpage comparing them. I know that Alienware is around 1200, Dell is 1380 pounds, but that wouldnt make that much of a diference if its really better.

Just to let you know it will be a desktop replacement, used for gaming, watching Dvd's and I dont are about battery life, etc.

Thank you very much for your help, and really sorry if its been discussed already, just couldnt find anything. :) :) :P :P :rofl: but Im just a bit lost, and really want to buy a better laptop that would last a bit ....

CHEERS :thumbsup:

What CPU does the Dell have, what RAM do both systems have? What screen res?

GPU is a start, but there's more to the machine :)

Guest swatch

Hiya thanks for an answer :) here's some more details:

Alienware

AMD Turion 64 Mobile ML34 1.8GHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache , 1MB RAM, Geforce 7900GS SLI (2x 256MB)

Dell

Intel® Core? 2 Duo T7200 Processor (2.0GHz,667MHz,4MB L2 cache) with 1MB of Ram, Geforce 7950 512 MB

Bothe have same displays 1920x1200 TFT or something as its basically same company and Id buy them both with Windows Vista.

The fact is Alienware is 150 pounds cheaper, but Id rather go for Core2Duo than AMD Turion, I just dont know how would the graphic cards compare.

Really tough one ....

Hiya thanks for an answer :) here's some more details:

Alienware

AMD Turion 64 Mobile ML34 1.8GHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache , 1MB RAM, Geforce 7900GS SLI (2x 256MB)

Dell

Intel® Core? 2 Duo T7200 Processor (2.0GHz,667MHz,4MB L2 cache) with 1MB of Ram, Geforce 7950 512 MB

Bothe have same displays 1920x1200 TFT or something as its basically same company and Id buy them both with Windows Vista.

The fact is Alienware is 150 pounds cheaper, but Id rather go for Core2Duo than AMD Turion, I just dont know how would the graphic cards compare.

Really tough one ....

Hey, how are ya?

being an m9700 owner, my opinion may be a bit biased, but don't if you have patience...wait my friend. there is an m9750 coming out which will have intel core 2 duos and probably 2x 7950 SLi'd or even the 8 series...not sure...but if you must get something right now, i'll let you know my 64-bit 2.4 ghz turion hasn't let me down. sure it may not be a amd X2 which i regret but i'm ok with it. it's all up to you. also, I have the 2x512mb versions of the 7900 GS, better for larger maps in games more texture processing.

just note the battery life for each and the weight, they'll be a big factor when you're lugging them around. good luck to ya :-)

Hey, how are ya?

being an m9700 owner, my opinion may be a bit biased, but don't if you have patience...wait my friend. there is an m9750 coming out which will have intel core 2 duos and probably 2x 7950 SLi'd or even the 8 series...not sure...but if you must get something right now, i'll let you know my 64-bit 2.4 ghz turion hasn't let me down. sure it may not be a amd X2 which i regret but i'm ok with it. it's all up to you. also, I have the 2x512mb versions of the 7900 GS, better for larger maps in games more texture processing.

just note the battery life for each and the weight, they'll be a big factor when you're lugging them around. good luck to ya :-)

Thanks mate.

See the thing is I really dont care about battery life and weight as I use my laptop mostly as a desktop replacement, the only reason I need a laptop is that sometimes I travel (4 - 5 times a year) and I like to have my computer with me :)

I just convinced my girlfriend that we really need another laptop so I have to buy it quick before she will change her mind :) How long do u think I'd have to wait for new alienware ?

Anyways, If i'd buy something now, should Id rather go for 7950gtx or dual 256 7900gs ... ?

I've found some reviews... (albeit with faster processors) of sli 7900GS 512Mb vs 7950GTX 512Mb and they come out very very close. To be honest I think the different CPU's etc would make more of a difference than the GPU in this case.

I'd go the Dell, but only because it is Intel.. who are still far ahead in the mobile space (Alienware really need to get over the whole AMD=gaming thing).

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, how are ya?

I buy and sell lot of gaming laptop, From a technician point of view M9700 was nicely build great hardware amazing under the hood and nice car paint too was so impress till i power it on. After play with it for a week and it is such garbage worst gaming laptop i ever had (own alienware 5750, sager 5760 before that) even on something basic like battlefield 2420 which they advertise on....take more then 15 min first time loading no joke 15 min!!! @#$%#$^$#^ then i try to play some mp3, speak and "claim" to have a woofer but sound is crap like a 399 laptop from wal mart then i try the webcam that just turn to blue screen of death right after, 2 hours later i find my self post this junk on ebay and i have this piece of crap for total of 2 weeks worst time of my life! slowest fat laptop that even my GF's little MACBOOK is faster then my $2500 junk. never had such negative experience on any laptop before while my GF was laughing at me.

after that i got my self a M1710 with 7900GTX 512MB then on the battlefield 2420 the first time load time is 2 minutes and 47 second compare to 15 min with m9700 im extremely happy then when i try the media player i really feel like i hit the jack pot the music is crystal clear!! and loud too, about 100 time better then M9700's 99 cent speaker. next thing i notice is M9700 last 57 min to 1 HR 12 Min guess how long is M1710? 2 hours 48 min!! (if disable bluetooth, light and all the junk that you dont need)

over all i really like how alienware looks but AMD is really slow and don't work well with lot of the apps plus some cheap 99 cent store speaker is really horrible consider the price tag. i dont even think M9700 is worth to compare to M1710 dell XPS is by far way better then M9700 and this is not a advertisement helping dell, I'm a alienware lover that own Area 51, 5750 and M9700 before i finally giveup alienware. oh not to mention alienware have a very high rate of blue screen out of nowhere. After purchase XPS M1710 i finally notice my years of suffering

with the stupid alien head logo is a joke i should of giveup long time ago.

• 3 weeks later...
I buy and sell lot of gaming laptop, From a technician point of view M9700 was nicely build great hardware amazing under the hood and nice car paint too was so impress till i power it on. After play with it for a week and it is such garbage worst gaming laptop i ever had (own alienware 5750, sager 5760 before that) even on something basic like battlefield 2420 which they advertise on....take more then 15 min first time loading no joke 15 min!!! @#$%#$^$#^ then i try to play some mp3, speak and "claim" to have a woofer but sound is crap like a 399 laptop from wal mart then i try the webcam that just turn to blue screen of death right after, 2 hours later i find my self post this junk on ebay and i have this piece of crap for total of 2 weeks worst time of my life! slowest fat laptop that even my GF's little MACBOOK is faster then my $2500 junk. never had such negative experience on any laptop before while my GF was laughing at me.

after that i got my self a M1710 with 7900GTX 512MB then on the battlefield 2420 the first time load time is 2 minutes and 47 second compare to 15 min with m9700 im extremely happy then when i try the media player i really feel like i hit the jack pot the music is crystal clear!! and loud too, about 100 time better then M9700's 99 cent speaker. next thing i notice is M9700 last 57 min to 1 HR 12 Min guess how long is M1710? 2 hours 48 min!! (if disable bluetooth, light and all the junk that you dont need)

over all i really like how alienware looks but AMD is really slow and don't work well with lot of the apps plus some cheap 99 cent store speaker is really horrible consider the price tag. i dont even think M9700 is worth to compare to M1710 dell XPS is by far way better then M9700 and this is not a advertisement helping dell, I'm a alienware lover that own Area 51, 5750 and M9700 before i finally giveup alienware. oh not to mention alienware have a very high rate of blue screen out of nowhere. After purchase XPS M1710 i finally notice my years of suffering

with the stupid alien head logo is a joke i should of giveup long time ago.

Hey sorry for the late response, but the BF games usually take forever, but never 15mins for me...max I had to wait for a bit over a few mins. check the amd driver, it may be out of date.

the only problem ive had to run these games is in vista...which i never use anymore...pos OS.

anyhow, let me know what how your purchase went

My experience with my M1710 thus far has been crap. I wouldn't recommend it.