LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Geforce Go 6800 Ultra - Vista - SVIDEO help :

speed24

CARD: Geforce Go 6800 Ultra

COMPUTER: Dell Inspiron 9300

Problem: Ever since I upgraded to Vista Ultimate, I cannot watch movies through S-Video Out and have it be displayed on my TV. I've searched numerous forums - I've even called NVIDIA and DELL, and they just tag teamed my arse telling me to call the other place for help.

Please any help will surely be appreciated :)

I think vista disables these sorts of features because of the DRM bull****.

Just another reason to stick to XP, you probably won't see TV out working in vista for a while.

That vista disk sure would make a nice coaster...

I think vista disables these sorts of features because of the DRM bull****.

Just another reason to stick to XP, you probably won't see TV out working in vista for a while.

That vista disk sure would make a nice coaster...

Well, I guess that's a good sign not to get Vista...butt there isn't a work around?

I tried dling the newest nvidia drivers...but my card isn't included in them.

Ok, since there is no work around...What do you suggest I tell Dell when I call them tomorrow...They have to offer me something since I cannot get my S-Video to work on their laptop.

Ok, since there is no work around...What do you suggest I tell Dell when I call them tomorrow...They have to offer me something since I cannot get my S-Video to work on their laptop.

I doubt Dell will help since the 9300 was not bought with Vista installed.

You are probably right; So there is probably a fix coming - when do you think it will be availiable?

I called Dell technical support today, and after talking to a guy for 40 minutes, he had me install a driver (which i had already installed)...I install the driver let him take over my computer - he realizes the driver does not fix the S-Video issue. He then connects me to another department of dell where the "smarter" people must work since he could not solve the issue.

I get on the phone with another douchebag and he after spending 20 minutes on the phone with him says he will have to charge me $40 for a driver that will fix my problem...I tell him I have already downloaded a driver...he asks me what is the file name - I tell him the file (the FREE driver offered on the dell website) - and He says nevermind, that was the file I was going to have you download. He then connects me to another support line where the "smarter smarter" people work.

The guy reads my case and tells me I will need to pay $130 for the phone call, I ask him if I can pay after the problem is fixed, he tells me they will resolve the problem no matter what. I ask him, how he will solve the problem when the other two douchebags could not solve the problem. He tells me he will try his hardest... I then say I don't think it is worth $130 to watch a movie through my s-video output onto my TV. - He hangs up.

WHY CAN"T DELL F(&^*** RESOLVE THE PROBLEM!?!?!?

Edited by speed24

Dell's support has literally hit rock bottom. Since they bought out Alienware they just passed the support over to Dell and now it's only gotten worse. My advice. Dump Dell and go HP/Compaq or someone else with real support. Nvidia was right to send you to Dell though. They made the card so it's their baby.

As for getting the S-Video enabled...

First connect the TV to the PC and turn it on. Next go into Personalize > Display settings, right click monitor 2 and see if it's Activated. Next go into the Nvidia Control Panel and under Setup Multiple Displays, select your TV and select what method of output you want.

Note that some laptops with S-Video out REQUIRE the S-Video In/Out Adapter.

As for Dell, send a notice to the Better Business Bureau about what they told you and a receipt for any charges made to you also ask Dell for a transcript of the call you made and the lack of help they offered.

Do me a favor and I'll help you out with something...

Post a copy of your INF from the latest Dell driver. I can probably edit it to include support from the 165.01 drivers to really help you out. and best off I'll do it for a costless/free "thank you".

Edited by whitetigerx7

Thank You

Thank you for the notes on how to get the s-video enabled (haven't tried it yet, but I will once I install 165.01 driver)

Here is a link to the .inf file of the nvidia drivers I got off of the dell website: http://www.mediafire.com/?7dclpfnddyd

I assume the 165.01 is the Vista 32 Bit latest nvidia driver?

About reporting Dell to the Better Business Bureau - I have my case number, I talked with 3 separate people, but forgot to take down names and numbers (next time I will)...But if I call back and ask for information about who accessed the case and when, I should be able to get all that information from a supervisor right?

I really want to report them - because I know I was treated like they thought I was a "fool" - maybe I am, but I'm not dumb enough to shell out $40 for a free driver or to hand them $130 for information that should be free to fix my problem.

If I can find the timestamp on the calls, I really want to report caller #2 and #3 along with Dell.

*EDIT*

I called dell up, they could not provide me with a transcript, all i have written down is one persons # and extension (i believe caller #2's)...Then when i was ending the conversation with the supervisor (who i was talking to 5 minutes ago) - I asked him if he had a transcript of the current call, he said it was confiential, so i bluffed and said it's ok, i'm recording the call anyway, bye Seal (the supervisors name).

nvdm.inf

Edited by speed24

• 3 weeks later...