LaptopVideo2Go Forums

No links available...sorry, gonna have to kill a kitten

Sheilynn

OK, here's the situation. I've been to gobs of posts here, and decided to update my GeForce4 440 Go driver from 61.76 to a newer one. I tried 93.50 because, if I remember correctly, my video card was listed as being supported.

After multiple errors and tweaks, I ended up getting a window that said the driver couldn't be installed. No problem...the back-up idea was to install 77.79 that was listed on the "recommendation list" posted by Fabrice (Great list, by the way...easy to read).

Problem.

As far as I can tell (after traversing over multiple areas of this forum), the downloads for the archived series are no longer available.

Second possible problem.

I f***ed up and accidentally pressed the wrong button that reverted me to the latest version from Microsoft (or Dell?)...unfortunately, this was version 5.4something. I attempted to do the "roll back driver", but am not sure it worked (haven't rebooted yet).

At this point, I don't know what to do, or where to go. So, as stated in the title of this post, I'm going to have to kill a kitten and ask for a recommendation on which driver would be best to upgrade to, considering the only ones that look like they are available are the 80+ series.

I just hope that the kitten I killed isn't my own.

Thanks for any assistance!

Yes, many of our links have been lost since our server hard drive crashed a few weeks ago. In the meantime, try 84.69. It's an excellent all-purpose driver that works well with most laptops.

Thanks LSudlow!

That's the one I chose last night...or should I say, early, early this morning.

Given that I had to crash as soon as I installed it, I haven't been able to test it out on the game (Scratches) that instigated the update. It installed great, but cross your fingers that it will work properly.

Thank you again.

P.S. I would love to see a pinned (non-respondable) post like Fabrice Roux's, which lists the best drivers for specific video cards, that is constantly updated. The only reason I hesitated on updating to 84.69 was because it was listed with known problems (but not what those problems were). Anyway, just a suggestion - it's just an idea I thought would keep people from killing more kittens.

post-8421-1173792064_thumb.jpg

post-8421-1173792211_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sheilynn

Yes, once we solve our crash problems, maybe we can get him to update that page. We certainly don't want to be responsible for any more kitten deaths!

:)

With the 84.69 and 440GO - do you have full powermizer support?

MAT

I don't have PowerMizer support with my Go5200, so I suspect it's the same for the 440Go as well.

The most recent driver to provide PowerMizer support for older GPUs is 71.44. The highest version number with PowerMizer support (though six months older) is 72.14.

THx guys - that couple of sentences saved me about 20hours and 150 power cycles. :)

MAT