LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Toshiba Tecra M4 notebook monitor errors after Vista install

kyazh

Ok so heres a log of everything that happend in the last week

BEFORE VISTA INSTALL..

Vista told me to remove Nero and some other software so I did.

Then I installed vista, and everything went smoothly...

AFTER VISTA INSTALL

I checked the toshiba website and they had a list of stuff I needed to download in order to get vista running properly,

- one of these things was a bios update. I did the "within windows" update of the bios.

- then they had a bunch of drivers to install, so I did that too

- updated graphics card drivers and got windows aero working too. Great!

1 week later

- Take a nap, wake up and monitor looks funny

- I re-install nvidia GeForce Go 6200 64mb drivers, and the LCD works fine momentarily,

then the laptop restarts and it's messed up again ...

- I plug in my desktops LCD monitor to my laptops vga output to see if that works

normally, and NO it doesn't, the desktops LCD is skrewed up too.

- I assume either the driver is screwed up, or the video card is screwed up

- I reinstall VISTA.... but no luck :P wonderful!

- I still have the laptops original "recovery" partition, so I use that, which should get it

working. I'm now back at windows XP... but the display is still messed up.

- I reinstall the video drivers and the display works fine, momentarily and gets messed up

again... whoopty do :)

- I download the bios update, once again, this time I do a CD-Boot install...

- Restart... and no luck again....

- Download Win XP driver from toshiba, install... restart .... no luck ... :P

Here is some photography of my screen in its current state...

As you can see, it is almost as if every other vertical line is not working or something to that effect...

001ny4.jpg

002wx4.jpg

003id8.jpg

fellow members... what would you recommend as a next step? My last step would be to call Toshiba, but I wanted your opinions before I waste a good day of my life on Hold :)

Well, Ill be damned, it randly started working, normally again .... Is my graphics card dying?

nevermind it crapped out again... after I did a restart :)

Edited by kyazh

Does the casing get excessively hot, even when not under GPU load? The mag alloy chassis is great (saved my M2 about 3 times over) but it does disperse heat in all the wrong places, and can cause trouble if the laptop isn't kept on a hard surface so that the feet keep the bottom of the laptop off the desk etc. Using it on a soft surface will stop if from releasing heat through the bottom, and it can cause problems.

If it does do this... your GPU is probably on the way out... I hope it's under warranty :) (M4 got a 3 year warranty standard in some places).

• 2 weeks later...

I have lots of problems with my Tecra M4 video, however, I'm writing just to tell you about my experience related to the symptoms you're experiencing.

Last fall, at the 1 year old point, my M4 showed video symptoms similar to yours. The problem was intermittent, but got worse over time until I couldn't use the PC anymore. It was under warranty so I took it to a local depot. After a week they sent it back with a new motherboard saying that the video controller had fried.

Withing a couple of weeks, it happened again. This time I sent it in to Toshiba's depot. They kept it for A MONTH. When I finally got on the phone with a manager, he said that they didn't stock parts because M4's don't break :) --can you believe that a major corporation could say something that stupid.

Anyway, I got it back in December and that problem hasn't reoccurred. I'm surprised it hasn't with the heat these things generate.

Good luck,

--Jim

Ok so heres a log of everything that happend in the last week

BEFORE VISTA INSTALL..

Vista told me to remove Nero and some other software so I did.

Then I installed vista, and everything went smoothly...

AFTER VISTA INSTALL

I checked the toshiba website and they had a list of stuff I needed to download in order to get vista running properly,

- one of these things was a bios update. I did the "within windows" update of the bios.

- then they had a bunch of drivers to install, so I did that too

- updated graphics card drivers and got windows aero working too. Great!

1 week later

- Take a nap, wake up and monitor looks funny

- I re-install nvidia GeForce Go 6200 64mb drivers, and the LCD works fine momentarily,

then the laptop restarts and it's messed up again ...

- I plug in my desktops LCD monitor to my laptops vga output to see if that works

normally, and NO it doesn't, the desktops LCD is skrewed up too.

- I assume either the driver is screwed up, or the video card is screwed up

- I reinstall VISTA.... but no luck :P wonderful!

- I still have the laptops original "recovery" partition, so I use that, which should get it

working. I'm now back at windows XP... but the display is still messed up.

- I reinstall the video drivers and the display works fine, momentarily and gets messed up

again... whoopty do :)

- I download the bios update, once again, this time I do a CD-Boot install...

- Restart... and no luck again....

- Download Win XP driver from toshiba, install... restart .... no luck ... :rofl:

Here is some photography of my screen in its current state...

As you can see, it is almost as if every other vertical line is not working or something to that effect...

001ny4.jpg

002wx4.jpg

003id8.jpg

fellow members... what would you recommend as a next step? My last step would be to call Toshiba, but I wanted your opinions before I waste a good day of my life on Hold :P

• 3 months later...