LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v158.45 VISTA 32bit |

mobilenvidia

I don't know about you guys, but this driver release has certainly been a + for me...

One peculiar thing I've noticed is that the 'Total Available Graphics Memory' reported has increased from 399 MB (driver version 97.55; default driver supplied by Acer, ancient, I know :P :) ) to a whopping 623 MB (driver version 158.45)!! 'Dedicated Video Memory' still remains the same, at 128 MB.

However, whether or not it uses the additional memory still remains as an unanswered question... :)

I know that the Powermizer page still won't show up, after all, it's been stated in the nVIDIA Control Panel Help file that the Powermizer page will not be accessible in Vista... But one thing I definitely appreciate - the inclusion of Flat Panel scaling :P (I'm sick of people looking fat and short in games like BF2 and BF2142)

Your mileage may vary...

Cheers,

V-X2

(F.Y.I. I have an Acer TravelMate 3274WXMi with an nVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 TurboCache; gets slaughtered brutally by BioShock, lol)

I also have a 7300 go with total of 399mb graphics memory and 128mb dedicated,, I have installed the 163.71 driver with a massive boost of 895mb total graphics memory,, although i have not tried the 158.45, yet.

just thought you 7300 owners might appreciate the tip.

... I have installed the 163.71 driver with a massive boost of 895mb total graphics memory...

Holy ****, and I actually thought that 623 MBs was huge!! Wow, 895 MBs of 'Total Available Graphics Memory', almost a full GB of video memory!! Now, that's what I call massive!! But then, that may have a negative impact on Windows performance since a large part of the system RAM is reserved for use as VRAM. So if you have 2 GBs RAM, this effectively brings you down to about 1.23 GBs of RAM left. It may seem like a large number, but I assure you, systems with slightly over 1 GB of RAM have difficulty coping with games in Vista. I have experienced that first-hand.

just thought you 7300 owners might appreciate the tip.

Well, Mitch, I sure do appreciate the heads-up! :) :) Thanks a lot!! :P

Weird, though, don't you think? I always thought that the amount of system RAM to allocate as VRAM was controlled by the graphics card's BIOS. But with a mere 64-bit memory interface, I don't think that the large amount of VRAM will improve performance much, especially non-local RAM that runs a lot slower... :P I remember reading somewhere that the official info about the Go 7300 was that it maxes out at 512 MB total memory, so this surplus VRAM (about 383 MBs in your case) may actually go to waste!! I could be wrong though (and I certainly hope so!!)...

Cheers,

V-X2

• 1 month later...
It run perfectly with the HP DV2000 Geforce go 7200.

Glad to see that it works great for you too! :P

Cheers,

V-X2

Btw, I've moved on to the 163.75 drivers now, but they don't seem too stable on my notebook... I got myself a BSOD after accessing the Display Settings page in the Personalization window... Weird... The error was something about the display adapter not recovering (I remember the screen blacked out for 1-2 seconds before the BSOD in the same way as the normal Display adapter recovery thing... Well, now I know what happens if it doesn't recover - BSOD :) ) Well, I guess I gotta bear with it since I want to play Gears of War for Windows... :P (damn I wasted so much system RAM - my total graphics memory is now 895 MB... Not exactly a good thing... :) )

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to see that it works great for you too! :rofl:

Cheers,

V-X2

Btw, I've moved on to the 163.75 drivers now, but they don't seem too stable on my notebook... I got myself a BSOD after accessing the Display Settings page in the Personalization window... Weird... The error was something about the display adapter not recovering (I remember the screen blacked out for 1-2 seconds before the BSOD in the same way as the normal Display adapter recovery thing... Well, now I know what happens if it doesn't recover - BSOD :P ) Well, I guess I gotta bear with it since I want to play Gears of War for Windows... :P (damn I wasted so much system RAM - my total graphics memory is now 895 MB... Not exactly a good thing... :) )

i got a total of 1279mb ofgraphics memory :) running the threads driver

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest callum

hi :)

In my W.E.Index, my Aero grpahics where originally 3.6 and my Gaming graphics were 4.3. :P

I have Vista home premium. HP DV9567.2GB ram and Nvdia 8400M GS 128mb dedicated,expandable to 1/2Gb apparently.

I have experienced that NVKLMD [whatever it is] crash&recover several times-Only AFTER playing Sims2. :)

So I tried the 158.45 drivers and they lowered my W,E,I Areo&Gaming graphics to just 1 =/

Is that normal? Or was it a bad installation?

:P

In my W.E.Index, my Aero grpahics where originally 3.6 and my Gaming graphics were 4.3. :(

Heck, nice scores!! :P What was your initial driver version before you installed this ForceWare version?

I have experienced that NVKLMD [whatever it is] crash&recover several times-Only AFTER playing Sims2. :rofl:

Ah, yes, the TDR issue that plagues everyone. Here's my fix for it: click HERE (detailed reasons for frequent blackouts can also be found there)

So I tried the 158.45 drivers and they lowered my W,E,I Areo&Gaming graphics to just 1 =/

What?? How's that possible?? :P :)

Is that normal? Or was it a bad installation?

:thumbsup:

Did you remember to remove your previous driver prior to installing this version? Certain performance problems can be caused by remnants of previous drivers in the system.

If you did, I'm afraid that your graphics card may not be compatible with this driver version. :thumbsup: You could try going back to your original driver version and trying my TDR fix (link to it is above). Most likely that blackouts issue is caused by the GPU not having enough time to respond while handling its workload. Vista misinterprets this and thinks that the GPU has hung and tries to solve the situation by recovering the GPU. This recovery process causes the screen to blank out. My fix extends the timeout duration so that the GPU has more time to respond. This leads to less blackouts. (for more details, follow the link above)

Sorry about not being able to help you much :) ,

V-X2

• 1 month later...

I can't download this driver. Help Please!

Ok, hang on in there, buddy, I'm zipping up this driver and uploading it for you. You'll need to have 7-Zip installed in order to open it since my hosting solution doesn't allow me to host .exe files. I'll be posting a new post here (yep, double posting) instead of editing this one because if I edit this one, you won't get any notifications through e-mail about the new *temp* link i'll be posting up here.

NOTE: While I know that my rig is virus-free (scanned by BitDefender 10 and AVG Free Edition), I still strongly recommend you to scan this archive's contents before you install it. Most people who spread viruses do so unknowingly since a virus will never pop up and say: "Hey, I want to infect another computer! Bring me to it!".

Cheers,

V-X2

Edit: Bah, damn that bookmarks bar, I accidentally clicked on one of the links, cancelling my upload :) . Now I've gotta upload from zero again... Uploading at approximately 26 KB/s... For a file 30 MBs large... That's gonna take a while...

Edited by V-X2

Ok, it's uploaded, grab it here:

[edit: LV2GO server is online again]

This link will only be valid until laptopvideo2go's servers have the files again.

Cheers (and good luck with the drivers, I hope they work wonders for you too!),

V-X2

Edited by ®®®

• 2 weeks later...

first of all i would like to thank this site and the kind people who make the moded .inf files...to show the difference my 3d mark05 scores:

1620(stock hp drivers 156.xx)

3620(158.45..after install and reboot)

5180(158.45..after oc to(550/450) from previous(500/400))

i only hv 1 problem..after i oc...if i reboot my laptop..my gpu clock return to their stock values..how do i make them permanent??..what am i doing wrong...i got my hp dv9704 a week back and dont want to experiment too much so i installed 158.45 even though i hear that for 8series 167.xx is best.

pros: much inc. in 3dmark score and my vista 3d and gaming went from 5.1 to 5.4 after installing these.

cons: after changing the clocks the test setting button is missing.

can someone please help me?? how do i save my oc settings permanentle??

if i reboot my laptop..my gpu clock return to their stock values..how do i make them permanent??..what am i doing wrong...

What program are you using to OC? nTune? RivaTuner? :)

Hmm... sounds more like RivaTuner to me... I haven't got it installed in my laptop yet since my last reformat a few days back... But I do remember reading something about the settings, lemme check...

Cheers,

V-X2

Edit: If you're using RivaTuner, you're right, there isn't a 'Test' button... Hmm... I never noticed that it was missing, I must have been blind or something to miss it :P

Well, (if you're using RivaTuner) did you check the 'Apply overclocking at Windows startup' box? If you did... Well, I'm afraid I can't help you further, as I haven't been overclocking/underclocking my GPU/VRAM... It's hot enough as it is - GPU: 79°C in D3D mode, 60°C in Idle... I guess that's because Acer used only ONE fan to cool BOTH the CPU and the GPU! :) :P (I saw it when they opened my notebook to replace the DVD drive)

Edited by V-X2

• 1 month later...
first of all i would like to thank this site and the kind people who make the moded .inf files...to show the difference my 3d mark05 scores:

1620(stock hp drivers 156.xx)

3620(158.45..after install and reboot)

5180(158.45..after oc to(550/450) from previous(500/400))

i only hv 1 problem..after i oc...if i reboot my laptop..my gpu clock return to their stock values..how do i make them permanent??..what am i doing wrong...i got my hp dv9704 a week back and dont want to experiment too much so i installed 158.45 even though i hear that for 8series 167.xx is best.

pros: much inc. in 3dmark score and my vista 3d and gaming went from 5.1 to 5.4 after installing these.

can someone please help me?? how do i save my oc settings permanentle??

You probably have resolved this by now judging by the age of the post. However, if you're using ntune, you have to load and save a profile with all the settings. If you want any more help doing this feel free to ask.

Edited by Andrew55