LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell XPS 1710 and nVidia drivers

terror_adagio

Hello,

I have an XPS 1710 notebook with a 7950 Go GTX. Running Vista 32-bit. It came with Dell 98.09 drivers. They run fine. But everytime I try to update to the latest of 158 nvidia driver series with modded infs, everything installs fine, but I am having problems with games crashing. Has Dell done something and only made it so you have to use their drivers? Or are the 158 drivers s***?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest XAKEP
Hello,

I have an XPS 1710 notebook with a 7950 Go GTX. Running Vista 32-bit. It came with Dell 98.09 drivers. They run fine. But everytime I try to update to the latest of 158 nvidia driver series with modded infs, everything installs fine, but I am having problems with games crashing. Has Dell done something and only made it so you have to use their drivers? Or are the 158 drivers s***?

Same thing here (same pc with same specs)

Anyone find any good drivers for this card? I have a dell laptop with the 7950 and the vista drivers on the dell website blow. I cant seem to find any that work properly. My framrates in wow have dropped by like half!

I've got the same problem, and out of the two days of searching, I've come up short. This is getting under my skin, because I didn't purchase a $4,000 system to deal with this kind of crap.

I've got the same problem, and out of the two days of searching, I've come up short. This is getting under my skin, because I didn't purchase a $4,000 system to deal with this kind of crap.

I have the same system and have the same problem in Windows Vista, but in Win XP it work just fine i have 7900GTX and upgrade to 7950GTX they both

have same problem in Vista.

Problem is in Windows Vista not in drivers

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Marucins

I have the same problem. Install any other driver on mod inf and ..... BSOD.

I only find "Download latest Dell Performance Driver (limited Dell Testing. Vendor version 101.19)" -> LINK

I have the same problem. Install any other driver on mod inf and ..... BSOD.

I only find "Download latest Dell Performance Driver (limited Dell Testing. Vendor version 101.19)" -> LINK

I have almost the identical machine, just a faster CPU (T7600G) and bigger hard drive. I have been having similar problems with Supreme Commander. Sometimes the game would just bail out and I would get the little Windows notification that the game has stopped responding. Other times it would just apparently freeze, and alt-tabbing out of it just makes a mess out of the display.

At first, it seemed to run all right. The problems started showing up after I tried installing the Dell Performance Driver that you mentioned. I tried rolling back the driver and ended up with a basic VGA instead, so I had to reinstall using Update Driver from the Device Manager.

Things got so bad that last night I did a full system restore from the restore partition. I've had the system less than two weeks, so I wasn't losing anything but some time reinstalling stuff.

And now this morning the whole thing took a dump. Black screen. After a half hour on the phone with Dell, we concluded that the 7950GTX was toast. I just got back from dropping off the machine at the repair depot.

Needless to say, I am not too impressed with Dell at the moment, and even less impressed with Microsoft for putting out Millennium Edition: The Sequel. Of course I blame myself partially for ordering the system with Wistful Vista in the first place. (Any old-time radio fans out there? You should understand where that comes from!) Three people I know tried Vista and trashed it in short order. I thought I was safe because they were installing it on older systems, and I was ordering a top-of-the-line, state-of-the-art system. What I ended up with was a $4600 brick!

But what what I REALLY want to know is this: Why is it that these companies, six months after Vista was released, STILL don't have drivers for some of their newer hardware???

:)

But what what I REALLY want to know is this: Why is it that these companies, six months after Vista was released, STILL don't have drivers for some of their newer hardware???

:)

It's called progress...

Guess if I shall buy a new notebook with Vista as OS during next months - a qualified no!

It's called progress...

Guess if I shall buy a new notebook with Vista as OS during next months - a qualified no!

More like regress... the best description of Windows Vista I have heard yet is "a pig with lipstick". You can pretty it up all you want, but underneath, it is still a pig.

:) - Bill Gates

:) - the Microsoft customer

Guest evolution_theory
More like regress... the best description of Windows Vista I have heard yet is "a pig with lipstick". You can pretty it up all you want, but underneath, it is still a pig.

:) - Bill Gates

:) - the Microsoft customer

You see dell just updated the drivers for vista?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest deade

hi i have the same system and smae problems with lots of games

ghost recon advanced war fighter 2 demo is working great but lost planet crashes

i think we just have to wait for better drivers from nvidia

Same config as 1:st poster. I´ve been trying out different drivers and so far the only drivers that seem to work OK are Dell Performance v101.19. The driver with version 158.24 also works with modified inf but I´ve been experiencing BSOD which I fear might be caused by those drivers.

After a clean install on the laptop using BIOS A07 and then installing drivers in the "correct" order:

Chipset

Smartcard

Ricoh

Graphics

Audio

Modem

Touchpad

Wi-Fi

Bluetooth

It now seems that the system is running stable. Also I did not give the laptop internet connection before installing the drivers to prevent it from fetching drivers from Windows Update. It seems that the Ricoh driver that is available on windows update might cause system instability.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Kind regards

Würlitzer

• 2 weeks later...

I can't seem to install any drivers other than dell official drivers without severe instability.

Its not as though I'm getting poor framerates, but I dislike the fact that I have no options, nothing to draw a comparison from - I am tied to Dell's own.

I have installed a few versions of the 16x.xx drivers, and every one has resulted in a long pause at startup, corrupt icons, and instability, coupled with texture corruption in games.

If anyone could help shed some light on this, i would be eternally grateful. I will post useful system information, hardware device IDs etc when i have a chance at home (posting from work).

Guest Austin

Sup guys. I also was having the same problem and was doing a lot of research on the issue to figure out how to install the new Nvidia drivers on my XPS 1710 vista 32 bit with Nividia Geforce Go 7900 GS, but i could not find anything but i was finally figured out how to install the n drivers. When i would try to install the drivers it would say something about no compatible components being found. This what you need to do:

Go to this link http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_download...betadriver.html

and pick the appropriate driver. Click on the setup file and once it extracts the files it will now say something like no compatible components where found on this device and exit.

Now go to device manager and click on your display drivers tab and now click on properties for you Nvidia card. Go to update and click on the option that allows you to MANUALLY Update your driver. And click on have disk. locate the folder (i should be something like c/NVIDIA/Drivers/Windows.......or something like that). It will update the driver for you after giving you some warnings about the driver not being signed.

PLEASE DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

People asked about help with installing the drivers and im proving the help, but unless you really know about this type of stuff i would probably advise you don't install the drivers and wait till Dell releases their version or a more stable version is released from Nvidia (NON BETA). Why do i say this? Well because i just installed the drives and now my computer is Xps 1710 is acting funny. While typing this message my screen went all HAZY and s*** (u know like when you turn a TV to an UN TUNNED CHANNEL..yea sorta like that but not as HAZY). Now im about to go see what i can do about this...and if i cannot make this thing stable i will just roll back my driver.

If any one install them using the method i just provided and is able to stabilize it please post here thanks.

As promised, please find below NERD GPU output:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

GPU details...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

AcceleratorCapabilities :

Compatibility : NVIDIA

AdapterDACType : Integrated RAMDAC

AdapterRAM : 536870912

CapabilityDescriptions :

Caption : NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX

ColorTableEntries :

ConfigManagerErrorCode : 0