LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Sony Vaio cpu upgrade

laughingbuddha

Hi all,

First post here and a major cry of help please!!!

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-GRT916V laptop that I have had since new in 2004. I have upgraded the memory to 1Gb from the standard 512Mb, and the yesterday I did the hard drive from 60Gb standard to a spanky new 160Gb Hitachi with 8Mb cache and 5400rpm. This made some differnts to the performance.

Now I bought a mobile P4 3.20Ghz from ebay to replace the standard Mobile P4 2.8Ghz in the laptop. The processor upgrade went fine until I powered the laptop up to test it.

Now it turns out that Sony must have locked there bios to the default processor, because when I switch it on I get the boot screen with the nice Vaio logo, but that's where it stays. It won't boot to Windows and it doesn't post an error on the screen. It just sits there.

Is there some way of getting an unlock for the bios, or a bios from say the PCG-GRT996ZP which is the same range including motherboard from what I have read but with a 3.20Ghz instead of a 2.80Ghz.

Please help it would mean allot to me guys. I have a £60 cpu sitting here doing nothing.

Matt