LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Powermizer INF control

zzpulp

Ok so I cannot post this in "Software Tools, Utilities & Customized INFs" where I think it belongs but oh well.

I just wanted to let you know that the section of your inf containing

;These lines should help go6600 and go6800 with speed reduction
;HKR,, RMPowerSupplyCapacity,[tab][/tab]    %REG_DWORD%,	2
;HKR,, PerfLevelSrc,[tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab]   %REG_DWORD%,	0x3333
;HKR,, AllowMaxPerf,[tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab]   %REG_DWORD%,	2

has some repercussions. It seems to disable the ability to overclock the card through software. This is the case at least on the Dell series in which you have to unlock your card via the bios. These lines do enable powermizer but seem to enforce some kind of software lock on the card. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that only the last two lines are necessary. This enables powermizer and keeps the card unlocked provided its already been unlocked via the bios (even though I havent tried it out with a locked bios). I have some other reg entries that may help as well but this is the key issue. The abridged commands I spoke of earlier seem to have ill-effects as well however but it will not matter to you unless you underclock your card on battery or you demand decent video horsepower on battery. The lines seem to keep the card in 2d mode only on battery and do not allow the throttle (low level 3d) clocks to be used. As is usual, it does not allow the 3d clocks to be used as well. So in battery mode you are forced to use one performance level which happens to be the lowest.

do you have a fix for the dell 7900 gs locking up when using modded drivers. I can only use the ones dell has or my card freezes on windows boot, or if it does finish booting gives me very bad performance.

Ok so I cannot post this in "Software Tools, Utilities & Customized INFs" where I think it belongs but oh well.

I just wanted to let you know that the section of your inf containing

;These lines should help go6600 and go6800 with speed reduction
;HKR,, RMPowerSupplyCapacity,[tab][/tab]    %REG_DWORD%,	2
;HKR,, PerfLevelSrc,[tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab]   %REG_DWORD%,	0x3333
;HKR,, AllowMaxPerf,[tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab]   %REG_DWORD%,	2

has some repercussions. It seems to disable the ability to overclock the card through software. This is the case at least on the Dell series in which you have to unlock your card via the bios. These lines do enable powermizer but seem to enforce some kind of software lock on the card. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that only the last two lines are necessary. This enables powermizer and keeps the card unlocked provided its already been unlocked via the bios (even though I havent tried it out with a locked bios). I have some other reg entries that may help as well but this is the key issue. The abridged commands I spoke of earlier seem to have ill-effects as well however but it will not matter to you unless you underclock your card on battery or you demand decent video horsepower on battery. The lines seem to keep the card in 2d mode only on battery and do not allow the throttle (low level 3d) clocks to be used. As is usual, it does not allow the 3d clocks to be used as well. So in battery mode you are forced to use one performance level which happens to be the lowest.

I can probably remove this from the INFs all together now as it no longer really applies, drivers had issues when the go6600 first came out, the drivers now have the fix build in to them.

do you have a fix for the dell 7900 gs locking up when using modded drivers. I can only use the ones dell has or my card freezes on windows boot, or if it does finish booting gives me very bad performance.

Thats is odd, as I too have a go7900 and the modded INFs work fine for me.

I do have my card modified with the gtx mod with the ratings of 550core and 800clock on a rev1 7900 gs to gtx dell. I also can use the default dell drivers with no problems with this overclock. It only locks when I use regular nvidia drivers with the modded inf.

Edited by jznomoney

I do have my card modified with the gtx mod with the ratings of 550core and 800clock on a rev1 7900 gs to gtx dell. I also can use the default dell drivers with no problems with this overclock. It only locks when I use regular nvidia drivers with the modded inf.

By lock do you mean a BSOD? Because I get those too often when I boot into XP on my 7900 go gs using stock nvidia drivers with modded infs,

The settings above are not enabled by default, you have to manually remove the ';' from in front of each line then reinstall.

Sometimes my laptop will bsod or sometimes it will finish a boot but 3d games fps dramatically drop.

Yeah, didn't mean to cause a scare here. The normal user would not experience these particular problems because they wouldn't change any lines in pieter's inf prior to installing. I have seen a case where using geforcetony's inf versus pieter's has caused a card to enforce a driver lock. I am still looking into that, however, as I can only go by what the guy has told me.

And I agree with you pieter. It seems like first generation powermizer cards (I'm assuming 6 series was the first it was implemented on) are pretty finicky. I don't think you need to take the lines out of your inf though as it makes it easier for me to tell people how to enable different performance levels on their cards. Maybe just add to the comment to use only the last two lines if you are using an unlocked (dell) bios.

As for the others. General reboots are typically caused by your core clock being set too high (or temperature). Hard Lockups and BSOD's are typically memory clocks from my experience although lockups can be caused by the core clock as well.

@jznomoney - You need to be more specific as you said you had a rev1 GS with the GTX bios which is impossible as far as I know. Only rev0's can use the GTX bios because the rev0 and rev1 have different bios sizes and memory chips (rev0 memory is better). It seems like you may have your card pushed too far, likely the memory clock. Its on the edge of its stability so that it works with one driver but fails with another. Reduce your memory clock to say 780 or 790.

@jessi - Are you sure the BSOD's are caused by the drivers? There is still a kind of unsolved mystery regarding some of the dell's and BSOD sometimes caused by the wireless card other times by assorted drivers and what have you.

I am sorry to post so late but sometimes I forget that I am a member of this site. I will try to answer any questions.