LaptopVideo2Go Forums

FileHippo Software Update Checker

®®®

This recovered item was posted on 2007-04-05

What the InstallShield Update Manager was intended to be (but development was aborted as far from what i followed) is now finally here - bloat-free and working:

The FileHippo Update Checker v1.010 (BETA), 108kb one file .EXE freeware. Put it on your desktop, run it once a week, follow the download link the result page will offer after analysing, download, install and you're all set.

The Update Checker will scan your computer for installed software, check the versions and then send this information to FileHippo to see if there are any newer releases. These are then neatly displayed in your browser for you to download.

Obviously this tool can only scan for software which FileHippo has listed in their database. But to our relief their database consists of the most wanted and needed freeware tools currently existant and is updated a few times a day. Highly specialized software like 3DMax, Photoshop, VISUM or the like you'll not find there for obvious reasons.

Have a look at their site to get a view of what they offer. They also have older versions available for download (like OldVersion.com)

FileHippo Update Checker

One detail... their latest version can crash if you changed the default digital separator in your regional settings.

In France it's the comma "," but for compatibility reason with crappy programs I need to use the dot ".". So if I want to use the program I need to revert to the comma.

It's comma in german too, i think only US uses a dot :)