LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Upgrading my Amilo PI1536

Tekk

Hi all!

I'm having a hard time deciding on what to do with my laptop. It's a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo PI1536 with an ATI X1400 which has already been exchanged for a new one under warranty because the original overheated and damaged it's memory. Problem is, the laptop still gets very hot when gaming.

I'm seriously thinking about changing my graphics card so I don't have to worry about overheating anymore, plus some more performance would be a good thing :) but I would like to hear your advice on this, would my problem be solved? Is this overheating thing an issue of the X1400? Or is it that the cooling simply isn't enough and a more powerful graphics card would only make things worse?

Thanks in advance

post-12676-1186401488_thumb.jpg

Alienware has the same notebook and have released a new bios that changes the thresholds and keeps the notebook a bit cooler. Not sure if FSC has released it (yet).

The cooling solution is more than adequate. It runs a x1900. Gets hot like a (insert bad word here), but it works.

You won't find many cards consuming less power than the x1400.

If you want to cool her down, install NHC and throttle down the GPU in the ATI tab.

Yeah I tried NHC and it works, it's how i've been keeping it a bit cooler during the summer. I'm pretty scared of pushing my graphics too hard now since i've already melted one before just for playing Half Life 2 and B&W 2, my notebook keeps getting very warm and I feel i'm gonna melt this one too any moment...

That Alienware bios you mentioned, do you recommend using it? The idea of a x1900 is very tempting performance-wise but the heat...

Actually, no, I don't recommend it. There is still a risk. 99% it'l work but that still means you could brick your notebook.

Also: the x1900 is impressive, but not exactly a solution for heat problems. It also heats the power brick up a lot.

Hi, is Amilo PI1556 upgradable the same way ? Go 7600 is sometimes not enough.

Yes.

To be honnest, I wouldn't recommend running it on the 90W power supply, though..

Buying a 120W power brick. Kensington or Targus. There are probably cheaper alternatives but I don't know how much they're worth.

• 1 month later...