LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Community Led Driver Recommendations-GeForce 8xxxM Series

Bill

NVIDIA GeForce 8xxxM Series Driver Recommendation.

• GPUs:
  • G84_DEV_0407=GeForce 8600M GT
  • G84_DEV_0408=GeForce 8600M GTS
  • G84_DEV_0409=GeForce 8700M GT
  • G84_DEV_040B=Quadro NVS 320M
  • G84_DEV_040C=Quadro FX 570M
  • G84_DEV_040D=Quadro FX 1600M
  • G86_DEV_0425=GeForce 8600M GS
  • G86_DEV_0426=GeForce 8400M GT
  • G86_DEV_0427=GeForce 8400M GS
  • G86_DEV_0428=GeForce 8400M G
  • G86_DEV_0429=Quadro NVS 140M
  • G86_DEV_042A=Quadro NVS 130M
  • G86_DEV_042B=Quadro NVS 135M
  • G86_DEV_042D=Quadro FX 360M

UPDATES

2007-09-25: added 158.45 for Poll

2007-09-16: changed layout

RECOMMENDED DRIVER AS OF 2007-09-16:

Please vote instead of us counting the recommendations :)

WHY AND HOW TO POST

We figured that a moderator led driver recommendation topic is difficult to maintain as we don't have the time and means to test the mobile features plus additionally benchmark the speed for each game of every released driver on all kind of existant NVIDIA GPUs. That's where you come in charge.

In this thread you can post what driver(s) works predominantly bugfree with your NVIDIA-driven laptop. Bugfree for the majority means proper TV-Out and Video Playback, no Standby or Resume from Hibernation issues (no Black Screen), no Lid-closing anomalies, no missing Control Panel, working PowerMizer or a low-level PowerSaving feature (use RivaTuner to check). If this is given, a benchmark comparison between those working drivers is a welcome plus.

As for games: minor Image Quality, low performance (FPS), texture misalignment or other general issues with certain games do NOT prevent a Driver Recommendation, but certainly should be mentioned.

Be specific as possible when describing your recommendation as that's the important part for readers:

1. Laptop:
    make and model
  2. OS:
    XP, VISTA; 32bit (x86) or 64bit
  3. DEV_ID & Name:
    What card you use? See list above.
  4. Driver_Version_Recommended:
    What mobile features you use does work? Is performance great?. Example: "This driver has really good performance in UT3." or "This driver has better quality than xx.xx in game XXX."
  5. Driver_Version_Avoid:
    Installation fails pityful, BSOD, missing Control Panel etc.

Additional information about Benchmark results and OverClocking ability:

• A. Benchmarks:
    with bugfree drivers only; also tell the reader what version of 3DMark you use. HERE's a suggestion of how a nice post layout for your comprehensive benchmarks can look like.
    Please do NOT post benchmarks only. Use the given benchmark threads, open up a new one (with at least 21 compared drivers) or generally use the benchmark section of this forum.
  • B. OC:
    Overclocking results might also be interesting.

Even if you point out one good or bad driver for your card, you have helped the community.

Well enough talk, let the posting began!

Edited by ®®®

Test System

===========

Intel C2D 2.4@3.4

Mushkin 2G of 800@1066

Asus 8800GTX 768MB/wc w/OC

Tested Drivers

==============

163.14 Stock

163.14 LaptopVideo2Go

163.14 XTreme-G

165.01 Stock

165.01 LaptopVideo2Go

Comments

========

FEAR over all only saw a max 3 fps difference from any other driver tested (nothing really ever changes FEAR benchmarks much).

As far as 163.14 drivers go, the XTreme-G drivers gave the best 3DMark06 performance when compared to 163.14 stock drivers and 163.14 LaptopVideo2Go modded drivers.

If 165.01 drivers are also considered... stock 165.01 drivers gave the highest min. and avg. fps in FEAR (by only 2 frames over 163.14_XTreme-G, nothing significant) and provided a superiour 3DMark06 score over all other 163.14 drivers (by only 55 points, again nothing significant).

Screenshot comparison between all drivers included 2 different shots from each 3DMark run and 2 different screens from each driver where compared in Dark Messiah, Gothic 3, FEAR and Titan Quest ( a total of 12 screenshots per driver tested).

Conclusion

==========

ABSOLUTLEY NO DIFFERENCE IN EITHER COLOR OR IQ WAS EVIDENT AMONG ANY SCREENSHOTS.

Best 163.14 driver ---> XTreme-G drivers.

Best Overall Driver ---> Laptop 165.01 Modded beats all the 163.14 series.

(*given the insignificant differences among driver benchmarks, no 1 driver really provides any real boost in performance or IQ over any other driver in this test)

Benchmark and Screenshot Information

====================================

3DMark06 - Default Benchmark Settings - 1920x1200 Screenshots @ Max settings

FEAR Benchmark - 1600x1200 All Settings Maxed (soft shadows disabled)

Screenshot comparisons - All games had all settings maxed @ 1920x1200

############

163.14 Stock

############

3DMark06

========

SM2.0:5593

HDR/SM3.0:5508

CPU:3060

SCORE:12365

FEAR

====

Min:47

Max:231

Avg:94

#############

163.14 Laptop

#############

3DMark06

========

SM2.0:5586 ************WORST OVER ALL

HDR/SM3.0:5507

CPU:3058

SCORE:12357 ***********WORST OVER ALL

FEAR

====

Max:233

Avg:95 ****************BEST OVER ALL

##########

163.14 XTG

##########

3DMark06

========

SM2.0:5602 ************BEST 163.14

HDR/SM3.0:5510 ********BEST 163.14

CPU:3059

SCORE:12375 ***********BEST 163.14

FEAR

====

Min:46 ****************WORST OVER ALL

Max:237 ***************BEST OVER ALL

Avg:95 ****************BEST OVER ALL

############

165.01 Stock

############

3DMark06

========

SM2.0:5618

HDR/SM3.0:5520

CPU:3059

SCORE:12397

FEAR

====

Min:48 ****************BEST OVERALL

Max:229

Avg:95 ****************BEST OVERALL

#############

165.01 Laptop

#############

3DMark06

========

SM2.0:5631 ************BEST OVERALL

HDR/SM3.0:5527 ********BEST OVERALL

CPU:3056

SCORE:12412 ***********BEST OVERALL

FEAR

====

Max:234

Avg:94

:)

One suggestion though: it would be nice to have a post layout for your comprehensive benchmarks like HERE.

Guest Necromas

Ooh, can't wait for someone to post their results with the 256MB 8600M GT I'm gonna get with my new inspiron 1520.

I suppose if none are made by the time I get mine (~august 25th) I could do the testing myself and make my own.

I know the newer drivers don't allow overclocking, so what about comparing overclocked cards with older drivers with the non-overclockable newer drivers?

Overclocking results might be interesting... for drivers that in a wholesome work bugfree with a certain card. Bugfree for the majority means proper TV-Out, no Standby or resume from Hibernation issues (no Black Screen), no missing Control Panel, working PowerMizer or low-level PowerSaving feature (use RivaTuner to check). This is what a recommendation is about. If this is given benchmark comparisons between those working drivers is a welcome plus.

For benchmarks only please use the given benchmark threads, open up a new one (with at least 21 compared drivers) or generally use the benchmark section of this forum.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 8600M GT and I have found that it runs best with the 163.44 drivers. I tried the new 165.01 drivers but they do drop my 3dmark scores just a bit. I'm getting 3373 in 3dmark06 and 5751 in 3dmarko5. Runs very well with counter strike source (100 FPS x4AA X16AF) and removes the distance fog problem the 8600M has. Downside is no overclocking :) which I really want to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Updated.

Please post your recommendations according to the guidelines in the first post of this thread.

163.44 currently works best for my set up. The latest 165.01 drivers are a step backwards, so I went back to 163.44.

I have an HP Pavilion Notebook dv9535nr running Vista on the 8600m gs Nvidia card. I have been trying to improve the performance while playing EQ2 (lots of stutter and hitching in game) and this is the best I have found so far.

I get some stutter, but it's not nearly as bad as it was.

I guess jacko87 came to the same conclusion with a slightly different set up.

Good luck!

I must say that, without a doubt, the 158.45 drivers are by far the best for the 8600M GS in my laptop (see below) and what I want from drivers. This set of drivers is the only one I've been able to find that allows both automatic underclocking (I believe that was originally called Powermizer?) for power saving (and it's just quieter when not in use and keeps the laptop cooler) as well as overclocking. All other drivers I've tried have all had either one of the two possibilities or neither (a few 100 series, 156's, 158.36 and the 160's).

Using 158.45 with RivaTuner 2.04 on Win Vista 32 (haven't checked WinXP yet), it's possible for me to set each separate clock level independently, which are 2D (low load), low power 3D (high load but running on battery or medium load on adapter), and high power 3D (you guessed it, high load while plugged in). These are top-priority requirements for me, as I do travel a lot and try to get as much battery power as I can, but I enjoy heavy gaming when I get the chance.

As a side note, I haven't noticed any adverse effects of these drivers yet, but haven't formally tested frame-rates. Off the bat, it seems like BioShock got a major boost in frame-rates compared to 158.36 and 163.67 (running at a just-playable 20fps at 1024x768 with all settings on high) although FEAR might have gone down a bit from 30 - 60+ fps to 25 - 60+ fps (at 1680x1050 with all highest settings minus AA and soft-shadows). Also, I'd steer clear of 156.57 as those screwed up my system to the point that I was afraid I'd gotten myself into a horrifying reinstall-windows debacle. My windows profile was set back to all default settings and I was unable to run any programs or view folders, Control Panel etc. included. A few reboots, safe-mode and different drivers made all my troubles disappear, fortunately!

System: Asus F3sv-B1

Card: 8600M GS (with Asus' lame crippled clocks of 500/400) - ID=0425

OC: max stable settings of 663/530 (Core/Mem)

Recommended: 158.45 - no quirks discovered yet, allows power management/underclocking as well as overclocking. Sleep and hibernate also work fine.

Stay away from 156.57! Shot down Vista on my system but was fixed by a driver roll-back, uninstalling, and then installing different drivers.

I just thought I'd post my findings, since it was such a hassle to find drivers that support both power management and overclocking!

Edited by Smooshieus
corrected link

• 2 weeks later...
I must say that, without a doubt, the 158.45 drivers are by far the best for the 8600M GS in my laptop (see below) and what I want from drivers. This set of drivers is the only one I've been able to find that allows both automatic underclocking (I believe that was originally called Powermizer?) for power saving (and it's just quieter when not in use and keeps the laptop cooler) as well as overclocking. All other drivers I've tried have all had either one of the two possibilities or neither (a few 100 series, 156's, 158.36 and the 160's).

Using 158.45 with RivaTuner 2.04 on Win Vista 32 (haven't checked WinXP yet), it's possible for me to set each separate clock level independently, which are 2D (low load), low power 3D (high load but running on battery or medium load on adapter), and high power 3D (you guessed it, high load while plugged in). These are top-priority requirements for me, as I do travel a lot and try to get as much battery power as I can, but I enjoy heavy gaming when I get the chance.

As a side note, I haven't noticed any adverse effects of these drivers yet, but haven't formally tested frame-rates. Off the bat, it seems like BioShock got a major boost in frame-rates compared to 158.36 and 163.67 (running at a just-playable 20fps at 1024x768 with all settings on high) although FEAR might have gone down a bit from 30 - 60+ fps to 25 - 60+ fps (at 1680x1050 with all highest settings minus AA and soft-shadows). Also, I'd steer clear of 156.57 as those screwed up my system to the point that I was afraid I'd gotten myself into a horrifying reinstall-windows debacle. My windows profile was set back to all default settings and I was unable to run any programs or view folders, Control Panel etc. included. A few reboots, safe-mode and different drivers made all my troubles disappear, fortunately!

System: Asus F3sv-B1

Card: 8600M GS (with Asus' lame crippled clocks of 500/400) - ID=0425

OC: max stable settings of 663/530 (Core/Mem)

Recommended: 158.45 - no quirks discovered yet, allows power management/underclocking as well as overclocking. Sleep and hibernate also work fine.

Stay away from 156.57! Shot down Vista on my system but was fixed by a driver roll-back, uninstalling, and then installing different drivers.

I just thought I'd post my findings, since it was such a hassle to find drivers that support both power management and overclocking!

mate, i tried this driver and this really made my day!this driver is the best and i can say I DO RECOMMEND this one.having the same laptop as yours, i got 2174 from 3dmark06 (stock speeds)....BIG thanks to the modder of this driver and to you mate.will try for OC settings and update my score on this post only as to not flooding too much on this thread.

whew!for now i'm satisfied.i'll be waiting for your advice if you get any updates on new drivers...i know 160.xx version can't be overclocked yet so i'll make do with this for now.a Big Thanks again mates,i truly would recommend this one.

only problem i encountered was i can't play Company of Heroes on 1280x800 resolutions no AA and AF and medium settings....but on Armed Assault i can play it.seems likeit is on Company of Heroes only.

i tried OC'ing the old driver v 151.11 and i got 2807 but still can't play COH.why is that?

Here's my benchmarks on v 158.45

on default settings in 3dmark06 i got:

2174 (500/400) stock

2422 (561/461)

Edited by an2nymous

I prefer 158.45. Bioshock no longer crashes and overclocking is available. :)

158.45 is definitely a GO !

I've got an Inspiron 1520 with 8600M GT (475/400) and was able to overclock to 650/460 stable !

I also got 4028 3D Marks compared to 3342 on stock frequencies.

Games work well, thanks for the tip !

Edit: I've now achieved even greater overclocking by tweaking the frequencies with ATI Tool.

I am now stable @ 625 / 480 with a 3D Mark score of 4094 !

Edited by janvitos

Guest Das_Saint

Hi all! :)

Just wanted to post my experience with the 158.45 driver:

I've got an HP Pavilion DV9685 running on Vista with a 8600M GS card, and after I installed this driver, I got over a 100% fps increase in FEAR. Went from an average of 30 fps to an average of 65 fps after installing this driver. Mind you, both the numbers were after OC.

The driver is great for OC. The card was set on 500/400 stock, and I OC'ed it to a stable 650/510.

I also got a huge increase in the Vista Experience Index.

Everything else works fne - HMDI out is working, no bugs so far!

The only flaw could be that the fan on my laptop is working more now, even when I turn off the OC. But I can live with this, when the performance increase is so great. :P

Thanks for the good work you guys are doing! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm afraid this thread is useless if it is not updated more constantly.

The new 156.69 drivers are so far the ones most people using Vista 32bits like the best, but nobody can vote them.

I suggets you either change this thread or delete it altogether, as it will probably confuse users looking for new drivers (and surely, you're already getting a lot of those)

hi, i have an hp dv9640us with the 8600m gs, 2 gb ram etc... so far no games have really been playable, hellgate london has an unplayable fr, as does the witcher and the crysis demo, all on pretty much the lowest settings, is this normal, is the system THAT underpowered or is it a case of using diff drivers, im using the ones that came with it at the moment.

Guest Cyberstab

That is normal. the gpu drivers provided by hp is really outdated. I tried using 163.69 drivers and i can play this game relatively smoothly on medium setting! hmmm i would recommend that you go upgrade you drivers. i will go for 15x.xx drivers though. you can over clock with those. btw my laptop is really similar to yours

try 158.46. seems really good

I'm afraid this thread is useless if it is not updated more constantly.

The new 156.69 drivers are so far the ones most people using Vista 32bits like the best, but nobody can vote them.

I suggets you either change this thread or delete it altogether, as it will probably confuse users looking for new drivers (and surely, you're already getting a lot of those)

I agree, time to move to them to the archive :) It's just not possible time-wise to keep them all updated. Also adding more recent drivers would obviously void the poll :)

Any other ideas to keep these recommendation threads alive??

We could prune the topics every so often of outdated information, or I could just finish up the game recommendation topics and hopefully keep them updated.

Since people mostly just need newer drivers for gaming, maybe these topics are really just redundant.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree, but for the 8600m GT as well. I noticed a definite jump in 3D performance (sorry, no numbers :-( ) on my Windows XP x64 system after installing a 174.xx driver. The only problem is, these drivers can cause glitches in 2D (Windows) graphics, like black boxes behind alpha-transparent icons. However, the problem is XP x64 specific, so 32-bit and Vista users should be fine. The problem is fixed in 175.xx, without reducing 3D performance. I do not do overclocking, so I don't know how well, or if, it works.

• 1 month later...

lolz i didnt use any of these drivers, i just downloaded version 169.09 with the modded INF worked like a charm, improved fps in crysis greatly

best overall drivers i think are manufacturer drivers, somehow my 8400m gs drivers from hp are 130mb compared to the 31 mb 169.09 driver form nvidia any1 know why???

Because the drivers downloaded from this site are in a highly compressed 7-zip file format.