LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Community Led Driver Recommendations-GeForce FX Go 5xxx Series

Bill

GeForce FX Go 5xxx series community led driver recommendations.

Well for those of you that haven't noticed, moderator led driver recommendation topics are bad ideas, so I think something else is in order.

In these topics YOU will post what drivers work good on YOUR graphics card(s). (Yes, some of us have the whole nvidia collection going)

How does this work you ask?

Well in this topic those of you who have tested drivers on a GeForce FX Go 5xxx series card, will post the driver version first that you have tried and that works well. You can also post one to avoid.

Next you should tell us what graphics card you have, and the make and model of your laptop, ect, or brand of graphics card.

Then last but not least you should post some notes about performance and quality.

Example: "This driver has really good performance in UT3." or "This driver has better quality than xx.xx in these games. (insert game list here)"

You should also post 3Dmark scores, ect if you have them in the "notes" section of your post.

If you do post 3Dmark scores, please tell us what version of 3Dmark you are talking about. (If you don't I will whack you with the mod stick)

Remember this is a community led recommendation topic, you have to post what works well for you, for the GeForce FX Go 5xxx series.

If no one posts no one will have driver recommendations.

Even if you point out one good or bad driver for you card, you will have helped the community and will receive a nice thumbs up. :)

Well enough talk, let the posting began!

Edited by ®®®

My Toshiba Portege M200 has a GeForce FX Go5200 with 32MB of RAM.

I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit.

The best driver so far for me is the one released by Toshiba, version 97.59.

It allows all the tablet's features such as rotation and screen brightness.

Sadly I cannot get stable Aero in Vista, because of the lack of RAM. Apparently nvidia will release new drivers in the future that increase the amount of shared RAM, perhaps allowing me to use Aero. The screen also never fully turns off through power saving (the backlight is always on). Apparently this is a bug and perhaps one day will also be fixed.

For now, I would recommend avoiding any "Forceware X" drivers over version 100 - they all (so far) cause varying degrees of garbage on screen.

I have an FX Go5200 in a Toshiba M30. Vista Ultimate 32 bit is the OS.

So far, 97.59 have worked the best for me as noted above for the M200.

The only issues I have are screen flashing during boot as the desktop loads and failure to come out of standby with a display (which requires using the input selector to choose the external input then back to the internal display to get it back).

Other than that, Aero is functional and it shows 524MB of shared memory + what's native (32MB).

Edited by Netman66

Guest diecdrom

Hi,

i have the Geforce FX 5600go with 64 Mb RAM in my notebook. I use the recommended driver 96.85 with a modified inf.

The huge problem with all drivers I tried is that the hardware acceleration is not supported so the CPU has do do most of the work when I watch DVD´s or movies.

So it would be great if someone could recommend a driver for FX cards that supports the hardware acceleration or give an advice how to activate it in the driver.

Thanks

Im have a Geforce FX 5500 agp. And using Windows Vista. And a driver who is working just fine for me is 98.02. Anything over the 100 series freaks out the display and the tv out.

Acer 1520 with GeForceGO 5700, 64Megs of RAM (Athlon64 3200+, 1Gig Ram)

running 165.01 right now with no problems so far (decent 3D performance, all features supported)

..but as I'm almost the last Windows 2000 user out there, that may not be the case for those of you who go for the kind of Mircrosoft OS with the flashy graphics 'n stuff :)

(I had a lot of trouble since the 9X.XX series to get the overlay to work without VMR - this is one that works for me)

At least for me it does...

But given the twisted ways Nvidia (and the guys who build... errr sold our books) handles the support for our cards there is no telling how the combination of your OS / driver / hardware combination might affect that. Most of the time one driver appears to work fine you're just about to find out that its overheating your card after more than 1h of gaming or dropping your Pixel-Shader support back to 1.x. Given the age of the FX series I recommend finding a stable driver for your system and to stick with it. The newer versions have almost no effect on performance and just give you a lot of trouble.

Guest FluffyChicken

Toshiba Tecra M2

GeForce-FX Go 5200 32/64 64Mb (tosh34sf)

WinXP-SP2

ForceWare 93.71

old control panel only works well. iirc build using the builder from this site to enable the toshiba screen blanking problem.

Works fine with everything so far. PowerMizer as well :)

• 2 weeks later...

Toshiba Tecra M2

GeForce-FX Go 5200 64Mb

Vista Bussiness

165.01 doesn't work for me. Desktop cannot be displayed.

Hi,

the 165.01 driver doesn´t work for me too, i get vertical green bars on the log-in screen. I returned to XP because it seems that the FX cards are not fully supported in Vista.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I recommecnd 98.13 for NVIDIA go5650 on Windows Vista 32. My system is a Dell Inspiron 8600. I had to install it manually (manual device selection in device manager and with "have disk")

Reasons: I tried about ten recent drivers from 96.x, 98.x, 156.x, 158.x, 16x.x (left out 100 series though).

All of them had one or another bug, like UAC confirmation window won't show (window will flicker shortly but you don't see the confirmation messages) or the driver just won't work.

96.85 was working fine also, and I think this one is better optimized for this old card. But I have to do presentations and 98.13 is my choice because it is stable, decent heat and noise (I use I8kfangui to control my cpu fan, it also shows the gpu heat) and like said before the external monitor is working fine.

Ben

I have GeForce FX Go 5600 in my HP Pavilion ZD7000 (Vista Ultimate) with 97.54 works perfect...........

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have a Sony laptop (GRT896HP) with FX Go5600 (128MB) and I wonder what is the latest forceware for XP (SP2) to use with this card? Can somebody help me because I can`t find this information anywhere...the current driver I have is 7.1.2.2. dated 9.12.2004!!

Toshiba Satellite M30 here,

I "used to use" the 66.67 driver (known as simply the best for my fx go 5200), but it seems that the 96.89 really gave me an smoother framerate in Doom3.

So the 96.89 suits me great for now.

Hope it could help. :)

• 2 months later...

I'm using the FX Go5650 in my D800 and I currently have just a 1.6Ghz M CPU. I'm on Windows XP SP3 with the most recent DirectX SDK updates.

I tested with 3dMark05 the following:

90 3d Marks CPU 843 78.11

322 3d Marks CPU 2098 101.19

247 3d Marks CPU 1916 156.57

316 3d Marks CPU 2150 165.01

318 3d Marks CPU 2046 165.01

326 3d Marks CPU 2094 167.58

The Half Life 2 demo played well with 101.19, 165.01, and 167.58. There was some sticking with the 16x, and I consider the 3d marks to be basically identicle between the 3 drivers. I will probably continue to use 167.58 until I encounter some kind of problem with it.

78.11 are the Dell drivers recommended for the card. Don't even bother with these. The ones automatically downloaded by Microsoft are 66.xx and are better.

With 156.57 the screen was dim. I didn't even bother with HL2

• 2 weeks later...

As of today, April 23, 2008, would you still recommend 97.59 to be he best choice for the Nvidia Ge Force Go5200. I am using a Toshiba Satellite P25-S609 with 2GB System RAM and I am running dual monitors. My OS is Vista 32 bit Ultimate.

Thanks,

Hal

I have an FX Go5200 in a Toshiba M30. Vista Ultimate 32 bit is the OS.

So far, 97.59 have worked the best for me as noted above for the M200.

The only issues I have are screen flashing during boot as the desktop loads and failure to come out of standby with a display (which requires using the input selector to choose the external input then back to the internal display to get it back).

Other than that, Aero is functional and it shows 524MB of shared memory + what's native (32MB).

• 1 month later...
Guest still8600

I tried the 98.13 from the archives forum but it gives me a dialog asking for a missing nv4_mini.sys when i tried updating from the dell drivers and doesn't allow me to update it. It's listed as a vista driver, are these the same as the drivers you tried?

Thanks

Hi,

I recommecnd 98.13 for NVIDIA go5650 on Windows Vista 32. My system is a Dell Inspiron 8600. I had to install it manually (manual device selection in device manager and with "have disk")

Reasons: I tried about ten recent drivers from 96.x, 98.x, 156.x, 158.x, 16x.x (left out 100 series though).

All of them had one or another bug, like UAC confirmation window won't show (window will flicker shortly but you don't see the confirmation messages) or the driver just won't work.

96.85 was working fine also, and I think this one is better optimized for this old card. But I have to do presentations and 98.13 is my choice because it is stable, decent heat and noise (I use I8kfangui to control my cpu fan, it also shows the gpu heat) and like said before the external monitor is working fine.

Ben

Guest ol1v33r

Tried 96.85 on Toshiba satellite pro m30 with a geforce go fx5200 running vista 32bit. Doesn't install properly but can be got around. Does work to an extent but not fully functioning. Display change doesn't work and the video card is not correctly labelled in device manager.

Guest Nick
Hi, I have a Sony laptop (GRT896HP) with FX Go5600 (128MB) and I wonder what is the latest forceware for XP (SP2) to use with this card? Can somebody help me because I can`t find this information anywhere...the current driver I have is 7.1.2.2. dated 9.12.2004!!

Hi there I have an itc laptop with the same FX Go5600 with 128mb di you ever get the best driver as the site where my laptop come from doesnt suport the card any more nore do navida.

• 1 month later...

why dont you guys try out 1169.09 driver? worked great on my 8400m gs and i can play crysis on high except low objects quality at a reasonable 5 fps XD

Hmmm I have the desktop version of this card and the driver that performed best for me would be 101.xx but it will probably be different for laptops