LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problems Booting to 6600 go 128mb

crsk8andsno56

I have the alienware m5500 and just recently installed the 6600 go 128mb verseion video card. When i try to boot the computer it either

1, gets past the windows vista loading page then goes black and shuts down

2. just boots iwth the installed intel crappy graphics

How do I get past this problem? Ive tried going through bios menu to see if i can set the video card ahead of the intel but there is nothing about video cards in the bios menu...

Help is appreciated!!!

Caleb

Edited by crsk8andsno56

anyone? 18 views and no comments :-( :) :) :P

This is a hybrid graphics system so I am using the switch but it does nothing different....

installed the 6600 go 128mb verseion video card.
What does this mean? Installed a totally new card (does Alienware offer upgradeable cards) or a new driver?

this means i installed a totally new card. It is not listed on alienwares upgrade options(only 2 cards are) but i know that it is possible to upgrade to this as ive seen in the past that it works on other peoples computers.... Now i am able to get past the login page and then it shuts down.........

Sounds like overheating to me. What are you using as thermal interface? WHat about your heatsink? IS it well in place?

yes my heatsink is in place. It is screwed in through the video card holes. I also places the thermal "matting" in between the heatsink and the "square with the nvidia logo on it"

If it is overheating is there any other way of fixing it? Limiting the volatage etc?

Also overheating is probably right since if i let it cool down for a bit it boots for longer

I'd say you need to make sure the thermal interface is ok. Sure the thermal pad is in place? No components blocking the heatsink? etc etc.. Then you try to get into windows and use Rivatuner to check on temps.

Possible ways to get into windows without crashing: open up the back and set room ventilator to blow on it.

I actually once put my notebook in the fridge for benchmarking :)

im not even sure thuogh if the 6600 go is working properly because it doesnt show as the go 6600 in system.. It just shows as standard vga adapter. Also its not any faster then the intel graphics in games... Wont even play games even though i know it should. It should be connected properly as the screws all fit perfectly and it doesnt appear damaged. Also what should i use as heatpads? It came with the sticky blue substance on the card but its only on what spot. Where should i position them? do these cards run with vista? (i hate it gonna go to xp soon)

It sounds like you are on integrated or at least not running the proper drivers...

Have you checked with any tool? NERD, Everest, Rivatuner or something to ee what they report?

Have you tried booting with the Hybrid switch in the other position?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest crsk8andsno56

well i got it to show up but now it crashes im assuming because of overheating every time i play css.

What im doing now is dual booting xp and vista. I will play games on xp and reg stuff on vista... Ive heard the xp drivers are alot more stable and dont cause over heating as much... Any suggs ice tea?

Check the temperature off coarse :)

Use Rivatuner. Game a bit, alt-tab out of the game and check the graoh.

NvidiaTempLogger is another option, it writes a log, shows a graph and temp (but causes some slowdown).