LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Asus V1S MXM?

maati

A very interesting one is the Asus V1S. As it's sold with both the GF 8400M and the 8600M i think there is a good chance it uses MXM.

I will get it tomorrow, perhaps i can find out but i don't know if i will be able to open it.

If it would use MXM like the Asus C90 it would be possible to upgrade it with the cards provided for the C90. With a bit of luck, there could be a 9600M (or whatever it will be called) next year.

To answer your quest, I don't know, but I suspect the same thing. Now to rant about this notebook.

I was thinking the same thing and if I hadn't bought a C90S I would of bought a V1S-A1 which is the one with the 8600M GT the same 512MB one as the C90s. I hope ASUS is moving toward a standard in MXM card!

While the V1S looks like a business oriented notebook its looking more and more like the greatest LAN notebook ever!!! Portable, powerful and spillproof! Heck I'm temped to dip into my savings to pick it up.

On a down note, it seems that the 512MB version of the 8600M isn't as powerful as the 256MB version. The 256MB version is 450Mhz GPU by 700Mhz(1.4Ghz effective) memory, while the 512MB version is 450Mhz GPU by 400Mhz(800Mhz effective). Some also say that the 512MB version uses GDDR2 versus GDDR3 which the 256MB version has, but mine says GDDR3 in RivaTuner (512MB version). I overclocked mine with RivaTuner to 550/450 (any high and preformence suffers) and it handles my games great! Does anyone else have input on this?

Edited by RangerXML

RivaTuner isn't currently able to show the right type of memory. It's definitely DDR2 with 400MHz on both the 256MB and the 512MB card in the C90S/V1S.

The only Asus Notebook to use GDDR3 is the G1S, it has 700MHz memclock.

Looking forward to my V1S... 4 hours to go!!!

I waited for the Dell Inspiron 1520 for a long time, when i saw the V1S i did a quick shot and canceled my Dell and ordered the V1S by DHL express shipping.

If the V1S was upgradeable with the cards provided for the C90S this would be the greatest thing ever! Well, anyways, it IS the greatest LAN notebook ever! :)

Hey, I'm confused by your comment. Did you see 512MB of DDR2 in your V1S or do you still have 4 hours to wait before to get your unit ?

Anyway, it seems that some European V1Ss has 256MB GDDR3: http://www.nexus13.com/productcart/pc/view...;idproduct=1155

Concerning the 512MB version (Europe or US) nobody knows for now whether it is GDDR3 or DDR2. Right?

It is definitely DDR2, nothing else.

Now I opened the Asus V1S. It is the easyest thing in the world to take out the graphics card. Just like removing the Ram modules...

Have a look at what turned out:

1.JPG

2.JPG

It is some kind of reverse MXM that Asus used already before, e.g. in the A8. This means the A8 could be upgradeable with this Card and this means:

If Asus continues using this form factor in their notebooks, the V1S could easily be upgradeable!

But this also means: It is not a standard MXM card which means obtaining an upgrade card could de difficult.

:) Thanks for the info :)

This so rocks, real and simple upgradeable notebooks are here and the V1S is everything I hoped it would be! Also by the looks of it the C90S compared to the V1S video cooling is overkill which I hope, wish and prey only means more powerful units for the C90S to come :)

• 9 months later...

Hey guys,

Quick question regarding the 8600-GT MXM Type II video card/module.

My friend purchased the X100 shuttle computer and would like to put this card in: http://www.rkcomputer.net/rkcnotebooks/ind...detail&p=58

Do you all think this would be possible?

Let me know what you all think!

Thanks!

John

• 1 month later...
A very interesting one is the Asus V1S. As it's sold with both the GF 8400M and the 8600M i think there is a good chance it uses MXM.

I will get it tomorrow, perhaps i can find out but i don't know if i will be able to open it.

If it would use MXM like the Asus C90 it would be possible to upgrade it with the cards provided for the C90. With a bit of luck, there could be a 9600M (or whatever it will be called) next year.

my ASUS Z99SC graphic card also same like type ASUS V1S.

i want upgrade my graphic card,anyone know where i can buy it same type like V1S? my asus laptop now is nvidia 8400 g. i want change it to NVIDIA 8800m gtx or 7950gtx, but can't find it or where i can buy it?

i already buy a nvidia 7950gtx from alienware but cannot fix into my asus z99sc because the gold finger is start from right to left. if compare a ASUS V1S or ASUS Z99SC[same A8 series] to another type graphic card, the ASUS V1S and ASUS Z99SC; gold finger is start from left to right. you can see the picture, you will know what i want to say. left is asus z99sc graphic card and right is alienware 7950gtx 512mb[sEE GOLD FINGER].

Edited by stlkelvin

i want upgrade my graphic card,anyone know where i can buy it same type like V1S? my asus laptop now is nvidia 8400 g. i want change it to NVIDIA 8800m gtx or 7950gtx, but can't find it or where i can buy it?

i already buy a nvidia 7950gtx from alienware but cannot fix into my asus z99sc because the gold finger is start from right to left. if compare a ASUS V1S or ASUS Z99SC[same A8 series] to another type graphic card, the ASUS V1S and ASUS Z99SC; gold finger is start from left to right. you can see the picture, you will know what i want to say. left is asus z99sc graphic card and right is alienware 7950gtx 512mb[sEE GOLD FINGER].

Edited by stlkelvin

It is definitely DDR2, nothing else.

Now I opened the Asus V1S. It is the easyest thing in the world to take out the graphics card. Just like removing the Ram modules...

Have a look at what turned out:

1.JPG

2.JPG

It is some kind of reverse MXM that Asus used already before, e.g. in the A8. This means the A8 could be upgradeable with this Card and this means:

If Asus continues using this form factor in their notebooks, the V1S could easily be upgradeable!

But this also means: It is not a standard MXM card which means obtaining an upgrade card could de difficult.

• 2 months later...