LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Major INF reworks

mobilenvidia

The first INF mods I've done in sometime and way over due.

I've remade the 4 INFs for WinXP x86/x64 and Vista x86/x64

WinXP has a tidy up in the tweaks and I've added Powermizer and Core/Mem clock slowdown modes, this applies to Mobile GPU's only.

Vista also get the Powermizer enable and Core/Mem clock slowdown modes

I've seperated out the Mobile GPU's from the Desktop GPU's at install.

Now the Mobile GPU's have their own set of tweaks.

Powermizer page is not enabled and the settings are default, but now at least the GPU will switch power modes.

The Coremem/powermizer tweaks work great as it slows the GPU down when idle or just in the desktop.

A Go7900 GS runs at 100/100 down from 300/200 this will save a lot of heat and power use for those on the go.

The GPU will switch back to full speed when underload.

I need you guys to give this a go and supply some feedback, to possobly fine tune this.

163.15 is the only driver so far with these ehancements.

Bring on the feedback be it good or bad, although good is prefered :)

My go7900GS will now run at these speeds in Vista x64 Ultimate:

375/506Mhz when anything 3D is running

199/300Mhz when going to first idle mode and also best it does without tweaks.

100/100Mhz when after about a minut of being idle.

I would recommend you download nTune 5.05.47.00 as this will alow you to have a look at the Perfomance Monitor to see if Powermizer is working.

This version fianally run on Vista x64 :)

All you need to do is:

Open nVidia Control panel

Open the Performance page

Run NVMonitor

Now keep an eye on the core/mem speeds.

Goto 3DSettings Page

Run Adjust image settings with preview

Once the spinning logo starts the speeds should jump up to max and if you close that page they should drop back down in 2 stages (depending on what GPU you have)

The above should work with any Core/Mem clock monitor app, like ATI tool etc.

Driver with new Tweaks:

163.16 WinXP x86 and x64, Vista x86 and x64

163.11 Vista x86 and x64

162.50 Vista x86 and x64

Powermizer doesnt' work with:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• ®®®

• envydyauser

• Mchart

A Go7900 GS runs at 100/100 down from 300/200 this will save a lot of heat and power use for those on the go.

The GPU will switch back to full speed when underload.

I need you guys to give this a go and supply some feedback, to possobly fine tune this.

163.15 is the only driver so far with these ehancements.

Bring on the feedback be it good or bad, although good is prefered :)

I would love to give you some feed back, but the inf only supports the GO 7600. I tried installing it on a GO 7900GTX but I couldn't. Is it possable to support the GO 7900 GTX? Thank you.

At least the XP32 INF I looked at has about 95 lines of different cards including 7900 GTX - perhaps your card has a different ID?

Powermizer page is not enabled and the settings are default, but now at least the GPU will switch power modes.
This is for the newer generation of drivers only. As NVIDIA seems to have introduced again new settings and values for the latest release of drivers (150s & 160s). Older drivers are not affected by this.

Guest Izzy from Miami

The new 163.15 drivers BSOD'd my Toshiba X205 the first time I ran 3DMark05 (specifically on the module nv4_mini.sys) on VISTA Ultimate 32-bit.

Just FYI. When I rolled back to 163.11, 3DMark05 worked fine.

Please let me know once a final version of this new INF comes out. Based on your description of the additions I'm very excited and looking forward to future versions with this INF for my GeForce 8600M GS.

My Bad :)

The above post should have read 163.16, it was getting very late when I got all the drivers versions modded then tested to make sure it worked as it should.

I would love to give you some feed back, but the inf only supports the GO 7600. I tried installing it on a GO 7900GTX but I couldn't. Is it possable to support the GO 7900 GTX? Thank you.

Your GPU is supported in the modded INFs, remember to REPLACE the orignal INF with modded one

NVIDIA_G71.DEV_0297.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX" I'm looking at it now

My Apologies.

Guest doubleblack

In the 163.16 topic, there is a link the the INF enhancer...do you need to do anything with that, or are all of these tweaks in the modded INF already? Because the INF enhancer doesn't have 163.16 as an option - thanks!

Guest doubeblack

BTW, the reason I ask is I have an Inspiron 1420 w/ 8400GS and my clock speeds are locked at 500/400 and do not decrease despite leaving the computer idle with nothing but WinAmp playing (both plugged in and on battery). Also, I know this is totally unrelated...but is there anyway you can tweak the INF for 163.16 to allow overclocking? Not a huge deal, just wondering, I'm more interested as to why mine won't step down!

A good amount of Laptop Graphic Cards are hardware locked so that you cannot overclock them. This may also prevent them from downclocking, I'm not 100% sure on that statement.

As far as your 8400 clock speeds not decreasing, I believe that feature only works on Vista so if you are running XP I'm not 100% sure if its supported.

As far as the tweaks, they should all be included in the Modded INF, there is no need to go into INF Enhancer.

Hope That Helps!

The above post should have read 163.16, it was getting very late when I got all the drivers versions modded then tested to make sure it worked as it should.

Your GPU is supported in the modded INFs, remember to REPLACE the orignal INF with modded one

My Apologies.

Are you able to run these drivers without corruption on the desktop, particularly after gaming? I had tons of trouble with the 162's and early 163. Tried to install these with the inital INF which caused issues.

Guest doubleblack

It is hardware locked, yes...but you can use nTune to change the clock frequencies using other versions of drivers other than 16x.xx

I am using Vista, not XP...after leaving all my Windows up, and walking away for 5-8 minutes to make it go idle...NVMonitor still shows 500/400 :)

My Apologies.

I sorry, forgot to mention I was using Vista 64.

Guest john fong

Anyone else on Vista 32-bit have issues with the NVMonitor where the window size is small and doesn't display everything but theres no way to increase the size? Heres a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

nvmonitorpx1.th.jpg

Anyone else on Vista 32-bit have issues with the NVMonitor where the window size is small and doesn't display everything but theres no way to increase the size? Heres a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

nvmonitorpx1.th.jpg

Have you changed the DPI settings in Windows ?

This could be the issue.

Not missing much anyway unless your lappy is based on a nV Motherboard.

Intel based MB's will just display nothing for those voltages.

Main thing is the Mem/Core speeds to keep an eye on and the tempurature.

It is hardware locked, yes...but you can use nTune to change the clock frequencies using other versions of drivers other than 16x.xx

I am using Vista, not XP...after leaving all my Windows up, and walking away for 5-8 minutes to make it go idle...NVMonitor still shows 500/400 :)

Powermizer can still change the clocks even though they might be locked.

It will mean that locked BIOS's will still not be able to go faster than what they are programmed to.

BTW, the reason I ask is I have an Inspiron 1420 w/ 8400GS and my clock speeds are locked at 500/400 and do not decrease despite leaving the computer idle with nothing but WinAmp playing (both plugged in and on battery). Also, I know this is totally unrelated...but is there anyway you can tweak the INF for 163.16 to allow overclocking? Not a huge deal, just wondering, I'm more interested as to why mine won't step down!

BIOS is locked, you need a BIOS hack to fix your ability to Overclock, the INF cannot do this.

I'm interested if you have tried the modded INF and wether it then lowers the clocks when idle.

Remember guys you need to replace the original INF with modded one and actually reinstall the driver (probably best via driver update method)

I'll work on 163.11 next as the ones after are giving me issues with screen corruption in 1920x1200 when the GPU goes in the the 2nd power downstate (also does this without modded INF)

I'll do future INFs as it takes ages to remake INFs with all these changes, so don't expect every driver to be done.

I can do a select few that are popular (I can check which drivers are downloaded most)

I really need to know who it's working for, was it worth the effort, do I add actual powermizer settings to the default INFs ?

Bring on the feedback.

Greetings.

Worked fine with me.

Using a 7900Gs on a Toshiba Laptop. (With winXP sp2)

Using the 163.15. Checked the clock speeds using ATITool. With the nvPanel the clocks would always stick at 100Mhz.

The clocks went up to 375mhz Core, 500mhz Mems. After closing the 3d window, they went down to 200mhz/300mhz and a while to 100/100.

If there's anything else you fellas want me to check, please just ask.

Cheers.

Edited by Phantasia

Guest john fong

Hmm...the Powermizer doesn't seem to be working for me. I have a Sager NP2090/Compal IFL-90 with a 8600M GT video card on Vista 32-bit. When its idle its running at 475 GPU, 400 Mem and when I'm running Oblivion its still the same. Downloaded the 163.16 drivers.

Hmmm, your the 2nd 8x00M person to say this, wonder if the 8000M series has powermizer support yet in the drivers.

162.50 also screen corruption @ 1920x1200, nV must be upto something with these 16x.00 drivers.

May need to test 15x.00 drivers to see if any more luck here.

I am using 163.16 on a fx 570m and my card clocks down without the new modded inf. It does it in 2 steps with the lowest at 168/100.

I was using a 8600M GT on vista and there was not powermizer support through the nvidia console. I've switched back to XP and there is powermizer. That wasn't the reason I went back to Vista, but just a heads up.

Hmmm, your the 2nd 8x00M person to say this, wonder if the 8000M series has powermizer support yet in the drivers.

162.50 also screen corruption @ 1920x1200, nV must be upto something with these 16x.00 drivers.

May need to test 15x.00 drivers to see if any more luck here.

Guest doubleblack
Have you changed the DPI settings in Windows ?

This could be the issue.

Not missing much anyway unless your lappy is based on a nV Motherboard.

Intel based MB's will just display nothing for those voltages.

Main thing is the Mem/Core speeds to keep an eye on and the tempurature.

Powermizer can still change the clocks even though they might be locked.

It will mean that locked BIOS's will still not be able to go faster than what they are programmed to.

BIOS is locked, you need a BIOS hack to fix your ability to Overclock, the INF cannot do this.

I'm interested if you have tried the modded INF and wether it then lowers the clocks when idle.

Remember guys you need to replace the original INF with modded one and actually reinstall the driver (probably best via driver update method)

Well I have been able to overclock using just the drivers with all other versions other than 16x.xx but like I said, that's not a huge deal...

The modded INF does NOT lower the clocks when idle, as previously noted. Again, I am using the 8400GS on a Inspiron 1420 :)

Using driver 163.16 and the newly modded inf this is how things run on my go 7900 gs.

In power saver, both battery and AC, my clocks are 200 core/300 mem.

In Balanced,both battery and AC, my clocks are 375 core/ 500 mem.

In High performance, both battery and AC, my clocks are 375 core/500mem.

I'm using RivaTuner to measure my clocks because ATI Tool always reports as 375/500 reguardless of what setting. These drivers STILL do not fix my 3-second stuttering problem in Vista. Any game/app I run using 3d accel will still stutter every 3 seconds (With these drivers it seems like it stutters every second, the problem got worse with these drivers).

It also seems that my Aero does not turn off automatically anymore when I go into Power Saver mode. It used to switch to Aero Basic whenever I was in Power Saver but it stays in 3d Aero now all the time.

Though in XP I'm using 97.92 and all works fine with those (of course). Doing nothing for a while drops the clocks to 100/300, doing small 3d stuff goes to 200/300, gaming goes 375/500.

Edited by jessi3k3