LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Major INF reworks

mobilenvidia

I am mostly refering to Vista which has no Powermizer settings to adjust.

So the INF tweaks are the onyl way to enable Powermizer at all.

Now a delema after installing 158.36 Powermizer no longer works at all now :)

The GPU is stuck at full speed at all times now, curse it.

Will need to completely remove the NV registry tree and reinstall the drivers and nTune to see if this fixes it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• ®®®

• envydyauser

• Mchart

I am mostly refering to Vista which has no Powermizer settings to adjust.

So the INF tweaks are the onyl way to enable Powermizer at all.

Now a delema after installing 158.36 Powermizer no longer works at all now :P

The GPU is stuck at full speed at all times now, curse it.

Will need to completely remove the NV registry tree and reinstall the drivers and nTune to see if this fixes it.

Hi there. I have been testing the 2d/3d modes on xp and vista since i've got the Asus G1s around 2 mounths ago.

On xp when that happens (after messing around with several driver versions) using rivatuner option to "set drivers defaults" usually solves your problem. On vista i know that the option is not there but it seems that if you remove the driver and clean the registry the problem goes away. Try it like you said :)

Just for notice, on vista i use the basic theme for testing because with AERO theme the gpu usually stays at 3d low clocks.

I can share with you that EVERY driver i tested did the 2d/3d switch BUT i did not use the infs you provided. I simply added my card to the original inf of every driver ( 8600M GT ) since some of your inf asked for files when installing or overclock in some cases didn't work.

I can also say that the 101.63 or 101.45 drivers DID the 2d/3d switch in about 25 seconds, almost like xp. All of the newer drivers takes much longer and that sucks lol. I have found that the latest 162.xx or 163.xx clocks down the gpu but the memory clock stays. I seems to me that Nvidia are doing some changes to the 2d/3d mode and their not ready, i hope.

The 160.0x drivers are the last ones to overclock on Vista. The newer drivers (16x.xx) do not overclock the 3D mode ONLY. With riva tuner / atitool you can change the 2d /3d low clocks but not the 3d.

If you need someone to help you test just ask, i like this stuff LLOOLL

Cheers :P :)

Guest john fong
Hi there. I have been testing the 2d/3d modes on xp and vista since i've got the Asus G1s around 2 mounths ago.

On xp when that happens (after messing around with several driver versions) using rivatuner option to "set drivers defaults" usually solves your problem. On vista i know that the option is not there but it seems that if you remove the driver and clean the registry the problem goes away. Try it like you said :)

Just for notice, on vista i use the basic theme for testing because with AERO theme the gpu usually stays at 3d low clocks.

I can share with you that EVERY driver i tested did the 2d/3d switch BUT i did not use the infs you provided. I simply added my card to the original inf of every driver ( 8600M GT ) since some of your inf asked for files when installing or overclock in some cases didn't work.

I can also say that the 101.63 or 101.45 drivers DID the 2d/3d switch in about 25 seconds, almost like xp. All of the newer drivers takes much longer and that sucks lol. I have found that the latest 162.xx or 163.xx clocks down the gpu but the memory clock stays. I seems to me that Nvidia are doing some changes to the 2d/3d mode and their not ready, i hope.

The 160.0x drivers are the last ones to overclock on Vista. The newer drivers (16x.xx) do not overclock the 3D mode ONLY. With riva tuner / atitool you can change the 2d /3d low clocks but not the 3d.

If you need someone to help you test just ask, i like this stuff LLOOLL

Cheers :P :)

How do you add the 8600M GT to the original inf of the driver? I opened up one of the modified infs and looked inside and I think I found the 8x series but I couldnt tell which one was for the 8600M GT.

8600M GT is in there. I have it running on my computer (XP 32 bit) and I can't really see any difference in the two drivers performancewise or behaviorwise. Under stress they both clock up to 466MHz core/632MHz memory, then down in steps to 375/504, 283/297,and 168/100. Benchmarks are very similar too.

I'm going to run another set of benchmarks in 163.16 then reload 163.15 and check again though.

Guest tritium
Hmmm, your the 2nd 8x00M person to say this, wonder if the 8000M series has powermizer support yet in the drivers.

That may well be the case. From the responses so far in this thread with 8x00M cards, it looks like it doesn't work in Vista but works in XP. For myself, with a 8400M G using 163.16 under Vista (32-bit), it's simply not working. If I set the system to Performance mode, it'll clock to 400/400 and stay there. If I set the system to Battery Saving mode, it'll be set to 275/200 and again it doesn't change regardless of system load. (These numbers are from nTune...ATI tool incorrectly reads it as 400/400 all the time, while RivaTuner shows 432/400 and 297/200 for Performance and Battery Saving modes respectively. I have no idea what to believe anymore!)

Thank you for this INF file!

This is the file i'm waiting for since i've my new notebook with vista.

Now i can use the powermizer and improve my mobility!

I'm using 163.15 with a Geforce Go 7400

nTune report this:

In power saver, both battery and AC, my clocks are 200 core/300 mem.

In Balanced,both battery and AC, my clocks are 445 core/ 445 mem.

In High performance, both battery and AC, my clocks are 445 core/ 445 mem.

At first, the control panel was not aviable, but then i started nvcplui.exe in the setup folder an my control panel appeared.

I'm inquisitive how my battery life time changes with the powermizer option...

hi there.

these new .ini files works great but i got a little problem. i experience desktop corruption of some art if i ex. play WoW, s.t.a.l.k.e.r etc. if i tab out while playing my desktop will get corrupted because the core and mem speeds drops and if i tab back into the game everything is working fine. now i got a solution for that problem wich is to disable the NVIDIA PowerMixer in the Nvidia controlpanel. well that just means that my gpu will have to run at max speed all the time. is there any other solutions?

this happens on my xps 1710 system with an 7900 gs 256 ram card / windows xp sp 3 beta

Edited by Mr_Ed

Thanks for working on this one! I´m wondering why NVIDIA keeps ignoring Powermizer in Vista for their previous generations of mobile GPU´s...

On Vista32 Home Premium with a 7600Go I experience the following with 163.16:

*Vista power plane High Performace or Balanced: frequency set for "3D performance" (which can be adjusted using Rivatuner/ATItool)

*Vista power plane Energy saving: frequency set for "low 3D"

The frequencies will not change depending on 3D load. Frequency set for 2D will never be set. Frequencies are shown correctly using NVIDIA monitor, but not in ATItool.

Still, it already is a great advance being able to change gpu clock via vista powerplanes! By the way: does "aero" influence powermizer levels?

hi there.

these new .ini files works great but i got a little problem. i experience desktop corruption of some art if i ex. play WoW, s.t.a.l.k.e.r etc. if i tab out while playing my desktop will get corrupted because the core and mem speeds drops and if i tab back into the game everything is working fine. now i got a solution for that problem wich is to disable the NVIDIA PowerMixer in the Nvidia controlpanel. well that just means that my gpu will have to run at max speed all the time. is there any other solutions?

this happens on my xps 1710 system with an 7900 gs 256 ram card / windows xp sp 3 beta

Same issue here. The inf file works fine, powermizer is enabled in vista.

The problem is, that every time the GPU reaches the lowest power level, the screen gets corrupted and divided into vertical stripes. After using win+tab in vista the GPU frequency rises again and the stripes disappear.

Probably the post here describes the same issue: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=12558

I'm wondering if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Is there a way to limit powermizer to use only "balanced" and "high power" settings? Using Vista's power plans didn't work for me. The frequency still drops.

My setup: HP NW9440, Quadro 1500M, Vista Buisiness, ForceWare 163.16

Thanks a lot for the great work!

I'm having the same issues with these higher versioned drivers, this happens regardless of the new tweaks.

I would think the 100 series drivers to be better suited to mobile GPU's as here this doesnt' happen.

I've got some more testing to do on this, to see if I can find a fix for it, or it could be a driver issue that no tweak can fix

I have to lower the resolution slightly, from 1920x1200 to 1680x1050 to fix it.

I got exactly the same problem on my dell m1710 / vista / go7900GS 256mo / 163.16 :)

Powermizer has stopped working for my machine altogether now with any driver other then LDDM one :)

I may need to reinstall Vista to get this working again for more testing.

It worked fine before with nTune installed :)

With 163.11 and the modded .inf using my 8700GT powermizer is working. Checked using nTune. Just wish they would give us back the powermizer and overclocking area in the contol panel. I dont know why they decided to take that stuff out.

Overclocking is now in nTune, although for my Dell i9400 it's BIOS locked.

I get nothing in nTune. It just shows me basic stats, and the GPU/Mem clockspeed. I get nothing else.

Toshiba is known to have a BIOS tweak to stop the Overclock page being shown.

It looks like you machine has this BIOS block.

Good ol' Toshiba

I get nothing in nTune. It just shows me basic stats, and the GPU/Mem clockspeed. I get nothing else.

my specs : Toshiba Satellite A100 w/Go 7300, ForceWare 162.18 nTune 5.05.47

my results : I get the "Performance" and "System Stability" pages in the new Control Panel (when launched from the nTune icons)

From the Perf page I can overclock my GPU.

I noticed (after dozens of INF tweaks & ForceWare reinstalls -- for nothing) that these two pages DO NOT show up if the two services :

- NVIDIA Display Driver Service

- nTune Service

are stopped. Since most people disable the first one after boot because it eats up too much CPU, the "Performance" page doesnt show up.

Try, & report back : I'd love to have other people's experiences

cheers

envydyauser

Edited by envydyauser

I'm running 163.44 and am experiencing the same vertical striping that others are talking about when pulling the AC power and only running on battery. After a few seconds, the card clocks down to 100/100 core/mem and striping happens.

I've tried a bunch of different drivers and they're all the same......pull the AC plug and striping happens. The only version that works on battery the way I expect it to so far is 158.45. But Powermizer isn't enabled in that version I don't think.

Is there a way to *disable* powermizer in these newer drivers AFTER they've been installed??????????? I don't mind the higher clocks for the time being on battery as I'd prefer to run the later drivers for better "compatibility" with newer games.

Dell m1710 2.33C2D 3GBRAM - Vista32 w/Go 7950GTX

**EDIT***

Followup - After some more goofing around, I've noticed that 158.45 clocks up and down as expected (powermizer actually enabled?) instead of what I previously thought as it being clocked at only factory 575/600 core/mem. Pull the AC plug, it clocks down to 100/100 at idle but spins up to 275/300 when using flip3d etc. and with no striping at all like usual. Plug the AC back in and it spins all the way back up to factory 575/600 settings.

If 158.45 works, what broke in basically everything since?

Edited by dougxd

WinXP has a tidy up in the tweaks and I've added Powermizer and Core/Mem clock slowdown modes, this applies to Mobile GPU's only.

Powermizer page is not enabled and the settings are default, but now at least the GPU will switch power modes.

The Coremem/powermizer tweaks work great as it slows the GPU down when idle or just in the desktop.

The GPU will switch back to full speed when underload.

I need you guys to give this a go and supply some feedback, to possobly fine tune this.

163.15 is the only driver so far with these ehancements.

Bring on the feedback be it good or bad, although good is prefered :)

Hello , I completely forgot to give you my feedback on this.

I took your INF tweaks for the above and put them in my own 162.18 INF, and it works like a marvel (XP32bit) pull the plug, clocks go down, plug back, clocks move up.

NOTICE FOR OTHERS : this feat only works if the NVIDIA Service is running (nvsvc32).

One thing I have trouble with is all these "functionality enhancements". It's hard to tell - from forum postings - when a new function is *new to the driver* and when it is *added/modified in the INF file*.

I mean, PowerMizer's been around since (as far as I can tell, 9x, if not 8x) no ?

cheers

envydyauser

Enabling PowerMizer is one of the main goals since the very beginning of the modded INF in 2003. And ever since then, we are preaching not to disable the NVIDIA Driver Service as it's responsible for keeping up the integrity of some settings (color, Clock speed etc.) applied in the NV Control Panel. It's a vital service... why people are trying to disable (memory saving 2MB... come on) it, is beyond me.

Also PowerMizer settings are changing from series to series. Now with Vista out, jumping driver series from the 90s to 100s, 155s and 160s within 6 months and without having access to their driver documentation, it's almost impossible to tell what settings are needed to properly enable PowerMizer and other features within Vista or XP for those hundreds of Laptop models out there. Plus having hundreds of different OEM settings around it doesn't make it easier.

That's why it is so important to have people around who try out on their own what the settings do and post it like HERE, so we can apply those.

And yes nvsvc is sometimes acting weird, so for testing purposes only it's ok to turn it off ... but not in the long run and not as default.