LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600m DUAL LINK DRIVERS!

CountLovE

Well.. I wondered why my New Dell 30'' monitor doesn't work on a Macbook Pro as primary. There are no 8600m drivers from apple that have Dual Link support for Vista.

This is sooo pissing me off.. I want to play games in Vista and I can't. Has anyone gotten video via DVI to work on this monster? I can't find any drivers that will install and have the support for Dual Link. If anyone can help out.. Please let me know.. I have written in over 10 forums..

thanks

-Count

Come on... Somebody!!!!! Please... I will pay you 50 bucks via Paypal if you help me find working drivers to get my 30 inch display to work in Vista....

Serious..

Have you tried the modded INFs from here.

Replace the orignal INF with modded one and you should have a working driver.

This is assuming that the your GPU doesn't have a special Apple PCI_ID that I don't have yet.

It would be nice to have the PCI_ID if it is different.

Your INF worked on mine... I don't know if dual link works though.

I have tried a few versions of the driver inf's from this site, with new driver posts for newer nvidia drivers. I am not having any luck. I feel like I am the only person in the world that has this configuration, and I am starting to think that no one from Nvidia, or Apple will ever hear my cry, and I will be unable to run my display in Vista.. Very fustrating. I also want to add that I ran driver sweeper before I installed the drivers. I had a systems guy at work look at my display, and he told me that when the image splits on the screen, that is because the dual link is not working. So I think it all comes down to Nvidia, or Apple. Though, I don't know why they wouldn't have dual link working properly on this chip.

I even install the Dell software drivers for Vista that come with the monitor, but the monitor management in Vista only show it as PNP Monitor via 8600m. And when I click on those PNP monitor drivers to update I don't get much luck either. It always bounces back to PNP no matter what directory I browse for the monitor drivers.

How do I find out about this PCI_ID you talk about? What do I need to do?

Thanks again..

I am looking forward to giving my money away.

This is remotely so i don't know if VITSA is exactly the same as in XP , but look in the Device Manager for 8600M, press properties, look in the details tab and there you go.

The Matching Device ID is

pci\ven_10de&dev_0407

Then there is Hardware Ids which there are 4 different values.. And there is also Compatible Ids which has 9 Entries.. Do you need to see all of them?

Here is more detailed information:

Hardware Ids

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_00A0106B&REV_A1

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_00A0106B

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&CC_0300

Compatible Ids

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&REV_A1

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407

PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0300

PCI\VEN_10DE

PCI\CC_030000&DT_0

PCI\CC_030000

PCI\CC_0300&DT_0

PCI\CC_0300

Driver Key

{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}00

Physicial Device Object Name:

\Device\NTPNP_PCI0019

Driver assembly version:

Thanks!

I checked the modded INF for 165.01 VISTA 32bit and the 8600M GT is listed:

NVIDIA_G84.DEV_0407.1 = NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

... which means it's a special setting that is missing and unknown to us so far :)

What i would be interested is the NERD tool logfile about the innards of your MAC, i need to work on it to make it Vista compatible.

Maybe the latest driver compiled by NVIDIA on 2007-08-18 (v163.44) has fixed this problem (165.01 was compiled 2007-04-12). Pls try it: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=14562

Here's NERD: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=756

i updated it run to within VISTA Final finally

Pls. download and post the first NVIDIA-driven-MAC NERD logfile :)

I ran Nerd. It couldn't run the last part though. Entering in Full Screen mode that is.. IT was hooked up to the 30 inch dispay... So I changed primary to the laptop.. I still get the msg:

Administrator: NERD

This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application

So here is what I got from it.

I am going to try the driver install for the one you recomended.

Thanks again for the help. I wrote to Nvidia, they never got back to me. And either than anyone from Apple, or any of the Apple forums.. or Any other forum on the internet. This means a lot to me!!! Thank you!

LaptopVideo2Go_LogFile_30display.rar

I uninstalled the old drivers. Ran that driver sweep program. Then installed drivers v163.44

Still no working 30'' Display. I just get 800x600, and 1024x768 mirrored twice with glitches.

:-( *sniffles*

The monitor attached has the following ID: APP9C69.

What about those 18 matching LCD devices in the VISTA hardware database? You had a DELL, a SAMSUNG, a VideoSonic, a ProView and at least 2 generic LCDs/Monitors attached to your MAC in the past :)

That's all i can say.

Have you read here to see how to setup correctly Multiple Outputs: http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvicompat/dvi.html

or the WIKI entry for general information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

[OFFTOPIC]

Some weird values in the log:

IRQ 190 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK

IRQ 4294967294 Mobile Intel® PM965/GM965/GL960 Express PCI Express Root Port - 2A01 OK

So virtual IRQs at it's maximum :)

MS has changed the msinfo32 commandline switches again, that's why the logfile is soo bloated. Sorry about that. Also i noticed the Memory readout isn't quite correct as MS obviously changed some WMIC commands too :P

I like that this Mac has the INTEL ICH8 Southbridge and not ICH6 or 7.

[/OFFTOPIC]

thanks smax. i see NERD works perfectly on a MAC running XP :)

The monitor attached has the following ID: APP9C69.

What about those 18 matching LCD devices in the VISTA hardware database? You had a DELL, a SAMSUNG, a VideoSonic, a ProView and at least 2 generic LCDs/Monitors attached to your MAC in the past :)

T

Yeah, those are monitors that have been hooked up, but at Primary... The 30'' displays that require Dual Link do not work in Vista. Thanks for those links, but they do nothing to help. Like I said.. I am in OSX right now with full glory.. But the drivers, or something else are stopping Vista from working. I wish I never installed Vista, but I paid for it, so I just have to wait until Nvidia, or Apple get's to a fix.

Thanks for trying.

Thanks though for bearing with us and participating. Hope it will work for you in the future. Enjoy.