LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GeForce Go 7950 GTX SLI Owners (Alienware, DELL, Clevo etc.)

Guyver1

Hi guys... I was wondering if someone can help me here.

I just got my alienware m9750

Alienware m9750

1920x1200 (WUXGA)

GeForce Go 7950 GTX SLI

VRAM: 1024MB

Windows Vista Home 32bit

Whenever I run any videos, video games, and even my NVidia control panel, I see little lines or spots even. Ive tried several drivers and I still get the same result. 163.69, 163.71, 101.29, 163.44, 163.74... After I try each one I uninstall the previous driver and run driver cleaner pro before I install a new driver. I came across another person who is having the same exact problem as I am and he has a Dell XPS with one 7950 Go GTX card.

Anyone else having this issue? If so, what driver or what did you do to fix it?

Thx

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Guyver1

• ATI ---> Nvidia SLI

• Grey728

• mobilenvidia

sounds like an overheating problem, when cards overheat they produce what are called 'artifacts' which are coloured dots/lines. Sounds to me like your cards and heatsinks arent sitting properly. Phone Alienware support asap.

updated opening post with email correspondance with Alienware tech support regarding gfx drivers.

will keep this updated when i get another response.

Guest got haggis?

I have the Alienware m9750 with dual GeForce Go7950s. I used the most recent drivers from this site, with the modified inf file, and they installed with no problem. I also have the option to enable sli, which I did, and set the scene rendering to Split Frame. So it appears to work now? It doesn't look too great though because I can actually see the split frames being rendered. (line going across the screen)

Guest Adon Malik
I have the Alienware m9750 with dual GeForce Go7950s. I used the most recent drivers from this site, with the modified inf file, and they installed with no problem. I also have the option to enable sli, which I did, and set the scene rendering to Split Frame. So it appears to work now? It doesn't look too great though because I can actually see the split frames being rendered. (line going across the screen)

I just tried this out with 163.76 and it worked for me too :) . However my Guild Wars problems came back which is kind of odd since I was able to fix them with the profile hack detailed earlier :) . I'm going to try a combination of the two in the morning and see what I get from that. I'll post my results when I know more.

just tried installing the 163.76 XP drivers on my SLI m9750 and got black screen on install and reboot.

removed the coolbits entry quoted as being a 'fix' for this and still get a black screen every boot.

had to go back to the Alienware 94.23's once again :)

Guest blasphemy

Getting major peformance increase using the 163.76 XP/ 163.75 Vista drivers (dual boot), compared to the only stable drivers i have had to persist with: 94.22 XP (official Dell)/ 101.19 Vista (Dell).

On my Dell XPS M1710 - Go 7950 gtx.

The Black Screen issue

My brother has the same BSOD problem. His notebook is the same as mine and he can't even use the 94.23. driver because his videocard bios is different (older).

After installing he can use the driver in single card mode. After switching to Sli mode its getting dark...

What are your bios versions (m9750 user). Different Bios Version could be the problem...

For all SINGLE CARD USER

As you can read in the previous posts : THIS IS A SLI and XP 32 TOPIC

Please don't tell us how much perfomance increase you get on one single card and under vista, because its no help for us....and it hurts... :)

THX

my mainboard bios: (taken from cpu-z)

DMI BIOS

--------

vendor American Megatrends Inc.

version W8350F02

date 05/03/2007

My GPU bios (taken from GPU-Z v0.0.8)

also dont mistake BSOD with black screen

BSOD is a windows crash, black screen is a display driver error

some disturbing news (i think personally)

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/XPS-M1730-Al...view-29685.html

Page 4:

Likely chosen for its low power consumption and low heat output, Dell’s motherboard is based on Intel’s mobile P965 Express chipset. But unlike most other Intel chipset systems, the M1730 uses an SLI pair of mobile graphics chips for increased gaming performance. This presents something of a conundrum for desktop users who’ve found that SLI "doesn’t work" with Intel chipsets.

The magic is in the graphics driver: Nvidia simply refuses to let "competing brand" desktop chipsets use SLI mode because doing so would eat into its SLI chipset sales. In fact, Nvidia even "disables" SLI on some of its own chipsets so it can boost prices on those bearing the SLI label. Yet the company doesn’t produce an adequately power-efficient notebook chipset, so it allows (begrudgingly we assume) SLI mode on competing-brand notebook chipsets.

That the PM965 Express is nothing other than Intel’s desktop P965 Express with a few power-optimized features is further proof that Intel chipsets really are SLI capable, and that Nvidia is using graphics driver "locks" as a way to force desktop users to buy motherboards using its chipsets. This strong-arm tactic leaves desktop SLI users with the single hope that Nvidia will improve its chipsets to meet Intel’s technological challenge, while buyers of gaming notebooks such as the M1730 get the best of both worlds - SLI and an efficient Intel chipset - but only if they’re willing to accept the lower-performance of Nvidia’s mobile graphics processors.

This would explain alot.

1. it would explain why no other drivers work on SLI notebooks other than offical 'vendor' drivers.

2. It explains why vendors often stonewall email complaints about SLI drivers. How can you admit to a customer who bought a £2000+ GAMING laptop that they wont be updating drivers for the newest games until nVidia decide to 'begrudginly' release new 'unlocked' drivers to the vendors.

I feel cheated and sick.

I would advice anyone who owns a SLI laptop to email both their vendor and nvidia complaining about this situation. I will be pursuing other avenues over this weekend to get this issue more widely recognised.

Sorry Guyver,

of course its not the Blue Screen Of Death. Rather I mean the Black Screen Of Death. My mistake. The only way to solve my brothers problem is to hardreset his machine and boot in Windows Save mode to reinstall the old 84.whatever driver.

The article from Toms Hardware side you have mentioned is an interesting aspect. But it doesn't make sense for me and all Sli user with nforce4 chipsets in our rigs?!? I can install all the new drivers but the Sli option is disabled (locked).

It is so confusing....

By the way my GPU Bios Version is 5.70.02.40.03 and my brothers is 5.70.02.32.08. Probably you can't compare our bios versions (go7800) with yours. But it shows that there is a difference between the same hardware and this is the reason my brother can't even use the 'old' 94.23. driver. And this makes him very angry.

Hope this information is someway usefull for you.

(I will contact the nvidia e-mail support on there homepage. In the past I did this before and they answered within the same day. Guess it wont help but hope dies last.)

It is good to know i'm not the only one they have cheated.... :)

Steve

do you have 2 identical cards?

I was under the impression that nvidia SLI was VERY strict in that both cards had to be identical (im sure that even 2 cards of the same model but different vendors can disable SLI)

I got two identical cards in my notebook and my brother got two identical cards in his one. I can use 94.23., my brother not. Obviously we have the same hardware but the bios is different. His notebook is 4 month older than mine. So he got the older bios version and the manufactor doesn't change it, because the original driver 83.?? is working correctly and so.. blah blah they are not responsible..blah blah. I guess its everywhere the same s*** they told you, Dell, Alienware, Gericom.....

But one day we will got an new working driver....

Guyver would it help to post a short (or even long) summarized news post on the frontpage for wider audience reasons? If so pls. prepare a pertinent text (including a link to this thread) and open up a new thread and we'll then move it to the news.

Guest Got Haggis?

sorry for not stating earlier, but yes I have 2 cards in my laptop, and yes, I am using Windows XP. The newest drivers + modded .inf work for me and allow SLI to be enabled. I do not see a huge performance boost though (on the game I am testing on)

I had not tried modded drivers before until now. Just got the laptop about 1 month ago with default drivers from Alienware. Upgraded to most recent drivers /w modded inf, and they installed just fine, on xp professional, no bsod or blackscreen or anything like that.

what driver version did you use?

can you link direct to the driver download and the modded inf dowenload please so i can test, cheers

Having a closer look at the SLI problem now it's a frontpage new item :)

Does the nForce 100 chip install into the device manager ?

Does it need drivers, or is it a driverless, no resource taken device ?

This could be where the work is needed to get SLI to work.

lo m8, heres my Alienware m9750 device manager:

windows_devices.jpg

it appears to be driverless.

Also, if nvidia are deliberately 'lokcing' their drivers then i'd be suprised if a simple inf manipulation would 'unlock' them. I would be more inclined to think its a .dll file thats the culprit.

but any help you can provide will be gladly welcome!!!!! :)

Had to try :)

If there was a device number I could look this up in the driver files to see if this was hackable (ie compare the 2 driver files)

There is probably an override that nVidia and OEMs use for testing but arn't allowed to release to the people that pay their wages (the masses)

Does the i945 chipset use the n100 chip ?

I see in the news dated only last week a few posts that this chip is going to be used for Notebook SLI to hook it up to Intel Chipsets.

Are they already using it, or does the i945 have a interim chip ?

one thing you could do (that i started) is download the Alienware 94.23's and then compare to the nvidia 94.23's.

I did this to check if there were any differences between the inf files, they were exactly the same.

i did a quick scan of file sizes to, to see if there were any files that had a noticable discrepancy in file size indicating additonal code, but i couldnt see anything from a cursory look.

If its a .dll thats locked then perhaps if there is no file size difference then it could be something as simple as a switch? with the the return being either a 0 or a 1 (say for example nvidiaSLIhardwarelock=1)

Im just guessing, I aint no coder.

Drivers are normally not realeased with different dll for the same version.

The nV one will be identical to the AW one.

nV will make a driver specific for a fix or OEM.

Dell has one for example to fix the backlight not turning off when lid is closed and power settings set to do nothing

You,d think nV would make a setting that enables a certain fix that is OEM specific that can be involked in an INF

ie n100_slienabale = 1, and dell_backlight = 1

But no, we are stuck with ancient drivers to have all the fixes, but modern games etc aren't compatable.

Ho hum .....

Guest StarWalker

I am currently using the Xtreme-G Mobile 163.67 XP drivers with no problem enabling SLI on my Alienware m9750 laptop. You can download them at http://www.tweakforce.com/modules.php?name...load&cid=15 . They also have Vista drivers available too and can be downloaded from http://www.tweakforce.com/modules.php?name...load&cid=16 . Hope this helps you.

EDIT: Xtreme-G_Mobile_163.67_XP_32bit = black screen after second card installed, and then on every boot.