LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600M GT cannot update drivers in VISTA 32 bit

Varos

So here comes the story. I order a new 1520 inspiron from dell and receive it about 20 days. I start it up and decide to test the 8600m gt with a quick installation of BF2 and see the fps on max settings, however bf2 never started. It just ran the autorun loading screen and then the screen turned black as if it was going to load but disappeared and I was back at my desktop. I figured it must be old drivers and I need to install some new ones. I hop on NVIDIA and download the new version 162.22 for windows vista 32bit and tried to install it. An error popped up saying that this driver is for windows vista 32 bit OS only and it?s not detecting mine. Afterwards I tried a variety of drivers from rivatuner but all came with the same error.

After a lengthy conversation with dell tech support I was stuck where I started. They left me hanging with a "We will contact you back"... I knew at that moment that I should have just came to these forums to ask for help as you guys/gals know a lot more then those tech supports. I mean she was asking me about the game and whether or not I had the system requirements for it...the game just showed I had a problem, the problem is I can?t update my drivers! Why is she talking about the game???

I read up on the modded INF's and I hope it will work (currently at work so I can?t test it right now) but if anyone has any solutions or specific drivers that work with this card please reply. Thank you for reading :)

My system specs are

Genuine Windows Vista? Home Premium Edition, English 32bit

Intel® Core? 2 Duo T7100 (2MB cache/1.8GHz/800Mhz FSB), English

2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 Dimm

160G 5400RPM SATA HDD

256MB NVIDIA ®GeForce?8600M GT

Edited by Varos

Grab driver 163.16 from this site, replace the INF with the one provided on this site, then reinstall. Read the FAQ for instructions.

Grab driver 163.16 from this site, replace the INF with the one provided on this site, then reinstall. Read the FAQ for instructions.

Thank you very much for the reply I will let you know how things go once i get home.

I have a vostro 1500 and BF2 with the same problem...Im gunna try the 156.10 driver right now and Ill report back, but please report your successes 9or failures) with this one.

Guest Mibbles
So here comes the story. I order a new 1520 inspiron from dell and receive it about 20 days. I start it up and decide to test the 8600m gt with a quick installation of BF2 and see the fps on max settings, however bf2 never started. It just ran the autorun loading screen and then the screen turned black as if it was going to load but disappeared and I was back at my desktop. I figured it must be old drivers and I need to install some new ones. I hop on NVIDIA and download the new version 162.22 for windows vista 32bit and tried to install it. An error popped up saying that this driver is for windows vista 32 bit OS only and it?s not detecting mine. Afterwards I tried a variety of drivers from rivatuner but all came with the same error.

After a lengthy conversation with dell tech support I was stuck where I started. They left me hanging with a "We will contact you back"... I knew at that moment that I should have just came to these forums to ask for help as you guys/gals know a lot more then those tech supports. I mean she was asking me about the game and whether or not I had the system requirements for it...the game just showed I had a problem, the problem is I can?t update my drivers! Why is she talking about the game???

I read up on the modded INF's and I hope it will work (currently at work so I can?t test it right now) but if anyone has any solutions or specific drivers that work with this card please reply. Thank you for reading :)

My system specs are

Genuine Windows Vista? Home Premium Edition, English 32bit

Intel® Core? 2 Duo T7100 (2MB cache/1.8GHz/800Mhz FSB), English

2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 Dimm

160G 5400RPM SATA HDD

256MB NVIDIA ®GeForce?8600M GT

Let me know how this went, I have the same specs (almost...) and was going to install 163.44 drivers to play bioshock, because it hasn't worked on the drivers provided by HP. Let me know if it works for you!

Guest jblack15

Yea, I have an Inspiron 1520 w/ a T7300, 2 gigs of 667, 160gb 7200rpm, and the 8600M GT and mine is having the same issues... but with ALL drivers. I updated the drivers in Vista, and Aero artifacts. I re-updated drivers again from laptopvideo2go, and it got rid of the artifacting in GAMES, but it still occurs on the desktop. Thing is, XP runs fine and dandy. Ubuntu completely goes ape nuts and shuts off, but the only problem all around with vista and xp is that my system will boot up, but it will sometimes shut the screen off. This is kinda off topic, but I was wondering since you guys use Dells also.

Guest Michael
I have a vostro 1500 and BF2 with the same problem...Im gunna try the 156.10 driver right now and Ill report back, but please report your successes 9or failures) with this one.

yeah i just gota dell vostro 1500 too with a 32bit vista basic and 8600m gt. i had that same problem with bf2142. im dling 163.16 driver right now. hopefully itll work.

• 5 months later...
Guest nubecake

I've had the exact same problem with my laptop, I hav a Acer 5920 with similar specs as yours. I've tried all the 8600 drivers i can get my hands on cause I figured its time to update since I've had this laptop since August 2007. All of them said that they incompatible with my version of vista, (i hav 32bit) and i got the 32bit drivers. Intense/fast paced 3d games like TF2 somtimes hang when theres lots of effects, must be drivers so i need new ones ! nobody can help me and there isnt any info other then complaints about this subject.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey .. i have a similar setup to those that are posting in this tread .. vista x86 home preimeum, 2.2ghz T7500 Gefore 8600M GT 256 ..

Is anyone here using winamp and the AVS music visulizations? Go into options and enable "Desktop overlay" ... no matter what color I try I cannot get the desktop to overlay ..... Is anyone else having this problem? Already tried the newest drivers available , 174 .. but cant get it to work.

Do anyone of you have "overlay" options in the nVidia control panel ?? I have absoutely no mention of anything .. I thought more features would unlock if i used the newest driver but i guess not ..

Guest don_peugot

Same Topic: I have an Inspiron 1520 with Nvidia 8600M GT. Is the 163.16 Driver still the best?

I've tried many of the actual drivers, the all result in extremly high temperatures and my fan going at full speed all the time, i don't think this is healthy ;-)

Anyone suggests for Inspiron 1520 / 8600M GT?

Thank you :)

Same Topic: I have an Inspiron 1520 with Nvidia 8600M GT. Is the 163.16 Driver still the best?

I've tried many of the actual drivers, the all result in extremly high temperatures and my fan going at full speed all the time, i don't think this is healthy ;-)

Anyone suggests for Inspiron 1520 / 8600M GT?

Thank you :)

Hi, you're looking at a several month old thread. The latest driver is now v169.61