LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600M GDR3 or DDR2?

smax

Apple says my computer has GDDR3 memory, but how would you tell what kind of video memory you have installed in a computer? I just did a quick search and didn't find anything... So how can you find out?

Dxdiag won't have anything about video ram type. Let me check though, just to be sure...

Yep, nothing.

Edited by smax

If there's one program that may include the distinction between GDDR2 and 3, it's Everest. Nothing else comes to mind.

It was always a problem to get a defenitive answer for the used RAM type on graphic cards as long as you can't easily on the RAM chups and google for the printed numbers on the chips. Mostly it's samsung and they have a heap of datasheets available so then it's easy to find out.

Normally Rivatuner would, but it doesn't seem to work to well with the newer cards (8x00) and drivers.

Still worth a try.

Its just RivaTuner tells me my 8600M GT has 512MB of DDR3, when its pretty much common knowledge that my card only has DDR2 on it.

Hmm... So Rivatuner does report it correctly. "128-bit G84 (A2,32sp) with 128MB DDR3"

• 4 weeks later...

In Dell Vostro 1500 there is DDR2 version, RivaTuner is wrong. Check the clockspeed and you will se that memory is running on 400Mhz (DDR2, DDR3 has 700MHz).

I seem to be having trouble getting a definitive answer from programs. RivaTuner tells me my 8600m GS is DDR3, while Everest says its DDR2. I am pretty sure it is DDR2 because of the clocks.

As a rough rule of thumb, the 8600 GT DDR2 version is getting aroud 3200-3300 in 3dmark06 and the DDR3 version around the high 3000's i think, like 3800.

This is a rough guide only (I dont have both verison infront of me to compare exactly, so dont flame me :) )...I suggest using to 3dmark06 and if your getting low 3000s you've got the ddr2.

In real world tests (i.e fps in games) I think you would notice little diff.

• 2 weeks later...

All the 8600M GT are the same and they have DDR3, the only problem is they came in three versions, the 128 MB DDR3 w/ TurboCache 128 MB (System Memory now a days is DDR2), the 256 MB DDR3 (I have heard of someone putting turbo cache on to support 512 MB), and the 512 MB DDR3. The 512 MB DDR3 is only found in 17" laptops or bigger. I believe its MXM Type 3 they are called. Now, if you have the 8600M GS - sorry but you only have 128 and 256 mb flavors and they are in DDR2.

The GT IS available in both DDR2 and GDDR3... it's up to the manufacturer to determine which to use.