LaptopVideo2Go Forums

To the site admins re: SLI

Guyver1

from another post i made over at nvnews.

the site admin there made a statement that SLI is only natively supported on nForce chipsets.

is this true?

Alienware m9750 (using the Go 7950 GTX in SLI) uses the Intel i945PM chipset (82801GHM (ICH7-M DH) southbridge).

IF SLI is only natively supported on nForce chipsets, then does this mean that Alienware drivers are 'special' to allow SLI to work, and thus the reason why all the drivers on this site dont work on my laptop (when i say dont work i mean the SLI part).

UPDATE:

heres the spec page: http://www.alienware.co.uk/product_detail_...rce=408#pdp-nav

says it uses the nforce 100 chipset for SLI models, info here - http://extremeoverclock.org/new-nforce-100...el-chipset.html

cheers

Leon.

Edited by Guyver1

Hi Leon,

I have tested a lot of drivers on my SLi (nforce4) system but there are only a few supporting the SLi Mode even when they are build for my mobile GPUs. Just try the 94.23. (XP) driver. Your GPU is listed in the inf.

[DEV_0297&SUBSYS_2052161F] NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX

When it works in SLi Mode you dont have to use the Alienware driver for your chipset. There are a lot of newer versions but the 94.23. runs fine on my go7800 SLi system.

best regards

Steve

( sorry, I have to improve my english...... :) )

Im using the 94.23, yes they work fine, but they dont have the bug fixes.game fixes, performance inprovements that later driver revisions have.

I want the same freedom to choose my driver version that everyone else has (both desktop users and single GPU mobile users via this sites modded INF packages)

while your 7800 SLI setup may have more choice with drivers this is because there appears to be 'issues' on the 7950 GTX that dont appear on earlier GPU's (the 7800, 7900 etc) in SLI mode.

these issues could be related to the nforce 100 chip that interacts with the intel 945PM chipset, it could be that the drivers require some code mofifications to allow SLI on the Go 7950 GTX. I dont know, its a hunch, but what i do know is this, so far, after MANY attempts, and many faliures the only drivers i can get SLI working on 2x Go 7950 GTX's is with the default Alienware 94.23 drivers... and that just doesnt make sense.

Edited by Guyver1

http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,co...45936/catid,10/

seems the admin over there seems to think that the SLI issues on the Go 7950 GTX ARE due to the nForce 100 chip solution for the Intel i945PM chipset. It looks like the Alienware drivers need some special nForce 100 code requirements to get SLI working.

Can this be written into the modded INF's on this website ???

I can supply the Alienware 94.23 drivers so you can check for any differences

just as an example, here are some obvious differences between a laptopvideo2go inf and the Alienware inf:

laptopvideo2go inf (xp 32bit v163.44)

%NVIDIA_G71.DEV_0297.1% = nv4_mobile, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0297

Alienware v94.23

%NVIDIA_G71.DEV_0297.1% = nv4_W830_SLI, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0297&SUBSYS_2052161F

is the &SUBSYS_2052161F the nForce 100 chip???

the Alienware inf then has extra section specific to the nv4_W830_SLI that arent present in the laptopvideo2go inf files:

[nv4_W830]
CopyFiles	= nv4.Miniport, nv.Display, nv4.icd, nv.Panel, nv.Help
DelFiles	 = nv.oldrm, nv.delete.systemfiles
RegisterDLLs = nv.RegisterCPL

[nv4_W830.CoInstallers]
CopyFiles = nv.CoInstaller
AddReg	= nv_CoInstaller_AddReg_NoKey
AddReg	= nv_CoInstaller_NVAppsXML_AddReg

[nv4_W830.SoftwareSettings]
AddReg = nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_W830
AddReg = nv4_icdSoftwareSettings
AddReg = nv_ControlPanelSettings
AddReg = NvCplTvFormatDefaultToGeoID_1_AddReg
AddReg = AdaptiveClkEnable_AddReg
DelReg = nv_ClearRegistrySwitches

[nv4_W830.Services]
AddService = nv,	0x00000002, nv4_Generic_Service_Inst, nv4_EventLog_Inst
AddService = NVSvc, 0x00000000, nv_NVSVC_Inst
DelService = nvarch
DelService = nvgfx

[nv4_W830.GeneralConfigData]
MaximumDeviceMemoryConfiguration = 80
MaximumNumberOfDevices[tab][/tab][tab][/tab] = 2

[nv4_W830_SLI]
CopyFiles	= nv4.Miniport, nv.Display, nv4.icd, nv.Panel, nv.Help
DelFiles	 = nv.oldrm, nv.delete.systemfiles
RegisterDLLs = nv.RegisterCPL

[nv4_W830_SLI.CoInstallers]
CopyFiles = nv.CoInstaller
AddReg	= nv_CoInstaller_AddReg_NoKey
AddReg	= nv_CoInstaller_NVAppsXML_AddReg

[nv4_W830_SLI.SoftwareSettings]
AddReg = nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_W830
AddReg = nv4_icdSoftwareSettings
AddReg = nv_ControlPanelSettings, FilterResolutions_AddReg 
AddReg = NvCplTvFormatDefaultToGeoID_1_AddReg
AddReg = SLIEnable_AddReg
AddReg = AdaptiveClkEnable_AddReg
DelReg = nv_ClearRegistrySwitches

[nv4_W830_SLI.Services]
AddService = nv,	0x00000002, nv4_Generic_Service_Inst, nv4_EventLog_Inst
AddService = NVSvc, 0x00000000, nv_NVSVC_Inst
DelService = nvarch
DelService = nvgfx

[nv4_W830_SLI.GeneralConfigData]
MaximumDeviceMemoryConfiguration = 80
MaximumNumberOfDevices[tab][/tab][tab][/tab] = 2

all this leads me to believe that the people who write the modded inf's for us ( i hope your reading this :) ) have overlooked some special coding requirements for the nforce 100 chip for the Go 7950 GTX cards.

Once again I can supply the Alienware 94.23 driver package so you can dissect the inf.

cheers

Edited by Guyver1

What do I write into the code ?

nV probably write something into the driver its self for Clevo that has the nv100 fix.

All the INFs have the SLi enabled code added to them this is applied to all GPU's wether they be SLi or not.

This is the code from Desktops and Mobile GPU's

There is not much more I can do, it's upto Clevo to get this sorted with nV

• 2 months later...
from another post i made over at nvnews.

the site admin there made a statement that SLI is only natively supported on nForce chipsets.

is this true?

Alienware m9750 (using the Go 7950 GTX in SLI) uses the Intel i945PM chipset (82801GHM (ICH7-M DH) southbridge).

IF SLI is only natively supported on nForce chipsets, then does this mean that Alienware drivers are 'special' to allow SLI to work, and thus the reason why all the drivers on this site dont work on my laptop (when i say dont work i mean the SLI part).

UPDATE:

heres the spec page: <a href="http://www.alienware.co.uk/product_detail_...rce=408#pdp-nav" target="_blank">http://www.alienware.co.uk/product_detail_...rce=408#pdp-nav</a>

says it uses the nforce 100 chipset for SLI models, info here - <a href="http://extremeoverclock.org/new-nforce-100...el-chipset.html" target="_blank">http://extremeoverclock.org/new-nforce-100...el-chipset.html</a>

cheers

Leon.

Leon,

SLI only works on nForce based chipsets, that is why all the SLI-enabled laptops include a nForce 100 chip. Its function is to split one PCI Express x16 lane into two x8 lanes. Even the upcoming Intel's Skulltrap platform will include a nForce 100 chip for exactly that reason. There is probably hope for better drivers when that is released (which should be in November), as drivers that support SLI on that will probably work with SLI laptops as well.