LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Vista Display Driver Problem

darkrlm

Laptop: Acer Aspire 9304WSMi

Turionx2 tl-56

GeForce go 6100

2GB DDR2 Ram

Vista Home Premium

I installed the 163.44 drivers with the modified inf, however the installation hung and my display then turned itself off, now when I boot vista the display turns itself off when it should get to the welcome screen. I booted into safe mode and rolled back the driver to the previous one, but the problem persists. This one is version 98.08 I believe. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong and hownto fix it. Should I attempt to install an older driver or what? Please help.

I installed the 163.44 drivers with the modified inf, however the installation hung and my display then turned itself off, now when I boot vista the display turns itself off when it should get to the welcome screen. I booted into safe mode and rolled back the driver to the previous one, but the problem persists. This one is version 98.08 I believe. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong and hownto fix it. Should I attempt to install an older driver or what? Please help.

I've got the same problem. Laptop:

Compaq Presario v6065ea

X2 TL-52

1 GB RAM

Go6150

Vista x64 Ultimate

I managed to get Vista to start in the safe mode and changed the display driver to VGA. Now I'm able to boot into Vista, but after installation of ANY NVIDIA driver I end up in the same situation - display turns itself off after boot.

But once, after every clean installation I get a BSOD and system restarts itself. Checked the event log - BSOD code 0a or 1e. Every next restart is just like I explained above.

What to do guys? I don't fancy another OS reinstall :- (

What did you mean by putting the driver in vga mode and how would I do that

Start OS in Safe Mode. Fire up Device Manager, find your Geforce, hit properties, go to Update Driver and if you choose to manually select the driver, You'll be able to load "Standard VGA Card" (perhaps worded differently, got Vista in Polish on board :) ). Just restart your OS and it will boot up in 800x600 with no acceleration/advanced features available at all. But it will start nonetheless..

Funny thing... I installed 158.34 x64 drivers and they are actually working/booting up correctly! But my Aero WEI score has gone down from 3.2 to 2.9 :/ Not that it matters, no :-) Installed from the normal mode, not safe one.

Try it guys, maybe it will help You too.

Can anyone post a link to a guide to uninstalling and removing all traces of display drivers, so I can reinstall the default acer ones please?

EDIT: Just managed to do it, and it's fixed, anyone else have this problem with an acer, official drivers are available from their site

Edited by darkrlm

• 4 weeks later...

I got this problem today. I was trying to install the 163.69 . To solve the problem:

Reinstall original driver from HP

On Safe mode uninstall driver from Device manager.

Again on normal mode reinstall orginal driver.

Everything is fine now.

Sorry my very bad "engrish"

Guest StandsOnToes

I have the exact problem i've posted it on here b4 but noone has replied so i'll jsut copy past it::

First off heres my system specs:

Toshiba Satellite p-100 pspadc-ma605c

WinVista 32 bit

Nvidia 7600 go series

Intel duo core T7200 @ 2.0 ghz

okay heres my problem and i think it has to do with my graphics card and/or Vista

When ever i run games like Oblivion, Half-life 2 ( even half life 1) , Flight simulator X , and also occasionally when watching DVD's in windows media center or any dvd playing app. my computer will have a hard shut down ( crash) it won't close any programs or nothing , screen just goes blank and system (power) shuts off. Then when booting back up it will (sometimes) have another hard crash before it reaches the vista log in screen. I have installed the latest nvidia driver for vista 32bit from this site and the problem still persists.

Also from looking in these forums i've experienced other problems other users are having such as : The dvd play back stutter , and very low fps on games, although since i downloaded the latest forceware my Fps has become alot better my test program i'm using is oblivion since i did a system restore to try and fix these problems.

This is my first laptop and i've heard they get quite hot could this be a over heating issue? i'm not sure how warm a laptop should normally get could anyone give me an example?

anyways thanks for any suggestions in advance or if anyone can point me to a post or site that has a solution ( i've searched forever but found nothing)

yeah so through all my searches it seems the general sensus is that vista BLOWS and it can't handle these graphics cards i think i might just install xp in a couple more weeks of trying to solve this

... my computer will have a hard shut down ( crash) it won't close any programs or nothing , screen just goes blank and system (power) shuts off.

Whoa, that sounds serious. The worst I've ever got was that TaskEng.exe choked my Core 2 Duo and froze my whole laptop (touch wood, lol). Did you encounter this problem only after you used the new drivers from this site? If so, it may be a driver compatibility issue with your system. Video playback relies on the GPU and its drivers, so if the driver's incompatible, it'll probably screw everything that depends on it, including the Aero interface and possibly the Logon screen.

My suggestion to you is to try out ForceWare v158.45 for Windows Vista 32bit. It has worked flawlessly for me for the most part. (Btw, that's one powerful GPU you've got there...)

This is my first laptop and i've heard they get quite hot could this be a over heating issue? i'm not sure how warm a laptop should normally get could anyone give me an example?

Mine hovers around 48-54 degrees Celcius (Idle) and maxes out at 71 degrees Celcuis (100% load), as reported by Core Temp.

... i've searched forever but found nothing...

Yeah, I know that feeling. It sucks... =/ :)

... i think i might just install xp in a couple more weeks of trying to solve this

I have attempted that on my laptop, unsuccessfully. Read about it HERE. (You'll probably recognize me by my avatar, lol)

Edited by V-X2

Guest StandsOnToes

yeah so i figured out at the time of my computer crashing it happens at a temperature of like 70-75 on each core so i guss its not a over heating issue cuase i read somewhere thats within limits it only staarts to get bad when u hit 85-90, i'll try rolling back to that 158.XX version of forceware and see what that does if it fixes it i'll post back but for somereason i don't think it will cuase i think i started of downloading that version first to try fix this problem , and with this newest version 165.XX that graphics are a hell of alot smoother and i can max things out.

Does anyone know where i can download the direct x version 10 ? i have v9.0c (i think) and i was thinking maybe becuase vista utilizes v10 that this could be cuaseing the problem, but i've alos read that this graphics card (7600 go) isn't compatible with direct x 10

Thanks for making me scared of putting xp on my system, becuase everyother forum says it saves the day as far as making s*** work. I don't know what i'm gonna do now i think i might have to resort to taking it to get serviced and then i can bend over and get raped by service charges.

thanks for the suggestions V-x2

Does anyone know where i can download the direct x version 10 ? i have v9.0c (i think) and i was thinking maybe becuase vista utilizes v10 that this could be cuaseing the problem, but i've alos read that this graphics card (7600 go) isn't compatible with direct x 10

You can't. It isn't a download that is available from Microsoft (or anywhere else, for the moment). DirectX 10 is bundled together with Vista (and there's no such option of not installing it). Btw, you don't have DirectX 9.0c for Vista. It's DirectX 9.0l (l for 'Legacy'). This is because DirectX 10 is a long way from DirectX 9.0, and those two just don't work well together. That DirectX 9.0 you have on your system (or any other system running Vista) is emulated. It's not actually DirectX 9.0c (although Microsoft has released a DirectX update for it as well; 'it' as in DX9.0l, not DX10!!). This is why there are strange visual artifacts in some games that utilize DirectX 9.0c.

Don't worry about your graphics card not being compatible with DirectX 10. It will not pose any problems at all. It's just that those fancy DirectX 10 features you see in those upcoming games (eg.: Crysis) can't be enabled on your system, essentially locking you in a DirectX 9.0 era (until you shell out that cash for an upgrade).

Thanks for making me scared of putting xp on my system, becuase everyother forum says it saves the day as far as making s*** work. I don't know what i'm gonna do now i think i might have to resort to taking it to get serviced and then i can bend over and get raped by service charges.

Lol, but I think I've figured out why I can't use my XP disc to install XP into my laptop, my disc is an OEM one supplied with my desktop computer from another company. Bugger. =/ :) Guess I'm gonna need to pay Microsoft some extra $$$ and buy another XP disc if I want to get XP on my laptop. :) :P :P

Cheers,

V-X2

Edited by V-X2