LaptopVideo2Go Forums

DVD playback issue

PvP

Ok here is my situation:

I have a laptop XXODD with TVtuner, T7200 @ 2145Mhz, 2GB DRRII @ 667Mhz, 120GB HD and a DVD RW. I got my standard drivers which are ForceWare 86.14 on which everything works fine. But lately I wanted to install and use new drivers for the newest games (bioshock for example)

I installed newer drivers like 97.xx up till the latest beta driver for bioshock (163.44). All the drivers have in common that they work perfectly ingame and during normal windows use, but when I insert a dvd or a mpg/avi file it simple crashes. My laptop will lockup and after 30sec the sound of the dvd/avi/mpg file will resume and finally I get a BSOD of a brief millisecond (so I can't possible read it) and then a reboot to finish my laptop off.

I was wondering if this is a more common problem and if there might be a solution to this irritatiing problem.

What have I tried so far:

- Uninstalled the old drivers and installed the 97.xx driver

- Reinstalled Windows XP SP 2 all over again with the newest drivers (97.xx up till 163.44), and yeah I got multiple reinstalls behind me :)

- Reinstalling the different codecs (I thought it might be a problem with the codecs because of the mpg/avi lockups)

- Now posting here :)

PeterPan

Edited by PvP

It's probably your codec causing your problems.

Did you try a DVD with no codecs just media player or another player ?

It's probably your codec causing your problems.

Did you try a DVD with no codecs just media player or another player ?

As matter a fact I did. I used PowerDVD, ASUSdvd and VLC player(which uses his own codecs). All of these players still crashed and burned my laptop.

Any other suggestions?

PeterPan

EDIT: Correct Spelling

Edited by PvP

Try it on an external DVD player (USB 2) if you can get hold of one to see if your internal Drive is causing the problem or the ATAPI controller etc

Sure my uncle got one of those, but is it just me or is it weird that when I change my GPU driver my ATAPI controller or internal drive is going bad?

I mean what is the link between the two? Is there even a link?

Will try the suggestion of the external drive, in the mean time keep the suggestions coming.

PeterPan

Edited by PvP

I had similar problems with most over 1xx.xx drivers, 97.92-97.95 were OK. Now my last test with 163.16 was somewhat promising, playing some videos that crashed earlier but the latest UT3 wmv did still crash. Must check with the latest codecs (Media Player Classic).

Codec update did help.

If you want to see what it says in that blue screen right click my computer and hit properties. Hit the Advanced tab and hit the Startup and Recovery settings button at the bottom. Uncheck the "Automatically Restart" check box in the System failure outline then hit ok. Whenever you get a BSOD it will say there. You'll have to hold the power button untill it turns off instead of restarting automatically. This is great for debuging purposes or if you want to grab any relevent data off of the error message.

If you want to see what it says in that blue screen right click my computer and hit properties. Hit the Advanced tab and hit the Startup and Recovery settings button at the bottom. Uncheck the "Automatically Restart" check box in the System failure outline then hit ok. Whenever you get a BSOD it will say there. You'll have to hold the power button untill it turns off instead of restarting automatically. This is great for debuging purposes or if you want to grab any relevent data off of the error message.

Thanks I was trying to look into the log files, but this is even better. Now I can read the error and make a note :)

EDIT:

I did a complete reinstallation of OS XP. This the order I installed it in:

WindowsXP with SP1

WindowsXP SP2

All chipsetdrivers

DirectX9c

VLC player

NvidiaBetaDriver 163.44 with modded inf

CyberlinkPowerDVD6.5

Each step I checked if dvd/mpg/avi playback was working and it did!

So I guess it were the codecs.

Thanks a lot guys!

Edited by PvP