LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Drivers to Overclock 8600m GS

Saber

I am trying to find some good drivers that will allow me to oc my 8600m GS running XP

The only somewhat current ones i have found that will allow this is the 101.19 drivers.

Everytime i use any other drivers it will just reset the card back to the stock speeds.

Any help would be great.

What version are you running because Ntune does not work on any of the drivers besided the one I memtioned.

What version are you running because Ntune does not work on any of the drivers besided the one I memtioned.

i'm having the same problem with my 8600 m GT ; i tried with 163.44 drivers and rivatuner but overclocking only works with the basic ones you memtioned....

i'm looking for the same answer !

if u find tell me...

tu

• 1 month later...

I experience the same problem (8600m gs)... After installing latest drivers (previous one was supplied with notebook) overclocking vanished (always default clocks). Any solution so far? I tried rivatuner, atitool...

Guest triplehelix

As far as I know its currently not possible on the newer drivers... registry level overclocking have been disabled in the drivers. I dunno why or how (i'm no driver guru, this is just what I've come to understand) but unless you wish to flash your video card, which I wouldn't recommend because it can make the card/computer very unstable during flashing. Althought again I'm no guru and I haven't researched this very heavily.

I personally am just going to wait for the next drivers to come out and hope that it allows for an overclock. Or that someone can hack the drivers to reinable registry level overclocking.

Cheers and good luck, let me know if you find anythingn that works :)

Looks like "FAQ->Drivers" section of this forum has more information. I tried 158.48 and it worked for me (fixed Bioshock crashing and allowed overclocking).

Also I noticed that latest drivers allow underclocking in LowPower3D profile in RivaTuner. Only it is applied not right away but after switching power profiles for widnows in tray (you set something in RivaTuner, switch to "Performace" than back to "Power Saver" and you have lowed clocks).

Hope this helps :)

Looks like "FAQ->Drivers" section of this forum has more information. I tried 158.48 and it worked for me (fixed Bioshock crashing and allowed overclocking).

Also I noticed that latest drivers allow underclocking in LowPower3D profile in RivaTuner. Only it is applied not right away but after switching power profiles for widnows in tray (you set something in RivaTuner, switch to "Performace" than back to "Power Saver" and you have lowed clocks).

Hope this helps :)

158.48? any link for that driver please?

thanks in advance

158.48? any link for that driver please?

thanks in advance

My bad, I tried 158.45. Downloadable from laptopvideo2go main page.

From reading many posts, it seems like the only ones who are having overclocking problems after upgrading their drivers are those people on XP.

It seems everyone on Vista isnt having these problems.

Is it correct that all of you are on XP?

I also heard that you cant go back to stock drivers to overclock anymore, it wont let you overclock even if you reinstall stock i heard.

From reading many posts, it seems like the only ones who are having overclocking problems after upgrading their drivers are those people on XP.

It seems everyone on Vista isnt having these problems.

Is it correct that all of you are on XP?

I also heard that you cant go back to stock drivers to overclock anymore, it wont let you overclock even if you reinstall stock i heard.

I'm on Vista and I'm having problems overclocking my card using latest drivers (16x.xx). Going back is possible, but you need to make sure you have uninstalled one you do not like before installing one you need (i went from something like 163.67 to 158.45).

PS: Read FAQ section of this forum.

I'm not sure you understood me.

1. 16xx drivers are not overclockable on any OS.

2. Anything more recent than 100xx is NOT overclockable in XP 32 bit.

3. 15xx and below ARE overclockable in Vista.

Therefore, everyone on XP including me is SCREWED until overclockable drivers come out.

Anyone know whats the best driver for XP right now then?

I'm not sure you understood me.

1. 16xx drivers are not overclockable on any OS.

2. Anything more recent than 100xx is NOT overclockable in XP 32 bit.

3. 15xx and below ARE overclockable in Vista.

Therefore, everyone on XP including me is SCREWED until overclockable drivers come out.

Anyone know whats the best driver for XP right now then?

:) This way it's more understandable. I have nothing to add. Hope you find solution. :)

• 2 months later...
Guest I think im goin crazy

Hi fellas, I cant overclock this 8600m GS, and considering the disgusting performance of my lappy,, I HAVE TO.

Got : Vista 32bit

8600M GS

RivaTune and AtiTool installed

CoolBits installed

I tried almost all the drivers from 169.xx >>> down to 158.45, (And that is by running setup.exe and also trying the Have Disk method)

even with the 158.45 nothing wont let me touch the clock speeds... (IT RESETS ITSELF TO DEFAULTS)

PLS someone help c'mon

THNX

Good news, I found a site that has hacked drivers so i can overclock with 169.04 on my 8600m gs. its worth a shot guys... I just hope they get some hacked 169.28 drivers out soon... need it for the ut3 fix.

http://www.quoimavie.com/?page_id=51

my favorite translator:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr

- Triplehelix (too lazy to login)

Guest Triplehelix
Good news, I found a site that has hacked drivers so i can overclock with 169.04 on my 8600m gs. its worth a shot guys... I just hope they get some hacked 169.28 drivers out soon... need it for the ut3 fix.

http://www.quoimavie.com/?page_id=51

my favorite translator:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr

- Triplehelix (too lazy to login)

Me again... yeah so I take that back... I rebooted and now my clocks are locked at default again... don't know what changed but I could only overclock after installing them, and now I can't. I"ll see if I can figure the problem out.

Guest triplehelix

TRIPLEhelix again, you guys are gunna hate me... I managed to get it working again. I uninstalled some programs I haven't used in a while and restarted, played some guitar hero on my ps2... and it works. I'm going to assume that it was just a fluke that time the overclocking stopped. but yeah, morale of the story go try out the drivers and see how they work for you, and don't post as a guest because you can't edit your posts and end up littering the thread with replies :)

Over clock Possible solution whit the latest rivatuner and latest nvidia drivers run rivatuner /customize forceware detected /sys. tweaks /enable driver level hardware oc/performance 3d/set your clocks/at this point everithing should b ok if u have a chek mark on the startup sett.box remove /click apply /oc profile settings /save oc profile/now u should have the saved profile name on the custom oc box /now chek the startup settings box /and click apply if everithing worked ok u should have the new clock speeds set try 160.04 driver good luck

Hi all,

I managed to get the 8600M GS overclocked ...

Just use Nvidia Forceware 169.04 as cespinoza told on the previous post, and use riva tuner v2.06 from www.guru3d.com

On my benq S41 it can run solid at Core : 648 MHz, Memory : 756x2 MHz. Hope it helps to clarify the doubts here.

Test Game :

- World Of Warcraft (Run without glitch for 6 hours ++, Max setting 4xAA, 8x Aniso. 60fps most of the time, lowest is 46fps)

- Crysis (need to settle is some where between medium quality to make it

playable around 35-40fps on average, dont expect too much, this game is very heavy)

- 3DMark 2006, Score 3403

Edited by Adix1

• 8 months later...
Hi all,

I managed to get the 8600M GS overclocked ...

Just use Nvidia Forceware 169.04 as cespinoza told on the previous post, and use riva tuner v2.06 from www.guru3d.com

On my benq S41 it can run solid at Core : 648 MHz, Memory : 756x2 MHz. Hope it helps to clarify the doubts here.

Test Game :

- World Of Warcraft (Run without glitch for 6 hours ++, Max setting 4xAA, 8x Aniso. 60fps most of the time, lowest is 46fps)

- Crysis (need to settle is some where between medium quality to make it

playable around 35-40fps on average, dont expect too much, this game is very heavy)

- 3DMark 2006, Score 3403

Hello all,

ive tried everything i can imagine and this 8600m gs could be te worst card i ever had, i find it absolutly amazing that you get that kind of fps on both WoW and crysis. For me, wow is in a 15-25 fps zone and i can go any resolution and any kind of graphic reducting and the numbers will stay the same. have tried all from the latest to the oldest drivers and extreme-g and some other stuff. tride also overcoking and it kinda worked with the 169.04 drivers but i got 0 speed encease in Wow.

was sure that there is no hope left and then i read your post with your great FPS.

Plsease let there be someone that knows what i can do. a lost all hope

P.S. 169.04 worked for me only on primary monitor (laptop) when i tried to use setings on external monitor they froze again and could not be tempered with.

sorry for the spelling and ty for reply