LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Cannot update 8600M GT driver

tramsleeper

Hello everyone.

I bought a new Inspiron 1520 recently. It came with Vista Business installed, and my graphics card is the Nvidia 8600M GT. As I enjoy playing Oblivion, I was advised to update the driver - running Oblivion in Vista with the installed driver was (as I soon found out) just a crash-fest - a very common complaint according to the forums.

So I tried to update the driver to a recommended one such as 162.22 vista driver.

Problem is that I cannot - during setup I get a message telling me that it has been aborted because "The Nvidia set-up program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware".

I just don't get it. This is the driver that the forums are recommending.

Any help much appreciated.

T

I had a ssame problem (just with 8600m GS). It appears that those drivers aren`t made for GO cards...

Check this out http://www.nvidia.com/object/vista_driver_news_072607.html .

Quote:

...it does not support GeForce Go mobile GPUs. Please continue to check with your notebook manufacturer for a new driver for GeForce Go GPUs...

And i`ve checked every post. It`s same... :)

Many thanks. But i think that my graphics card isn't a GO card - it is 8600M GT.

Would you know if there is any driver that I can actually install? When i go to the update driver option in Vista - it says I already have the most up-to-date driver, which I know must be a crock of sh-t.

Is this another good old Vista quirk?

T

I had a ssame problem (just with 8600m GS). It appears that those drivers aren`t made for GO cards...

Check this out http://www.nvidia.com/object/vista_driver_news_072607.html .

Quote:

And i`ve checked every post. It`s same... :)

Guest ninjafish
Many thanks. But i think that my graphics card isn't a GO card - it is 8600M GT.

Would you know if there is any driver that I can actually install? When i go to the update driver option in Vista - it says I already have the most up-to-date driver, which I know must be a crock of sh-t.

Is this another good old Vista quirk?

T

AHHH I'm having the same exact problem right now. I just got a 1520 (with an 8600m GT) the other day and the screen went crazy as soon as I logged in, and it does this quite often many times as I'm trying to log in, after a restart, and after resuming from hibernation.

It also tells me I have the most up to date drivers available but I cant even use the computer for more then a few hours before the video freaks out on me. And just like you had done, I tried to install the drivers that everyone has been recommending but during the setup it says: "The Nvidia set-up program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware".

If I go into safe mode and rollback the driver to the standard VGA drivers then it doesn't crash, but then I can't play any games. If i do the update after the roll back in safe mode then it will work the next time I restart, but any time I restart or go into hibernate afterwards the problem resumes.

I'm desperate for a solution at this point, and the last thing I want to do is contact dell support.

Also does the 'm' in 8600m stand for mobile? and if it does would that be equivalent to the "GO" cards?

If someone knows of a working solution to this issue I would greatly appreciate a response or email to ninjafish87[at]gmail.com

You need to replace the INF that comes with the driver with the INF supplied here. Read the installation instructions in the FAQs.

And technically, the newer laptop cards are not GO cards. nVidia changed the naming scheme for this generation to xxxxM for mobile cards.