LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Please help, having some major issues with my XPS M1710

Guest Bill

First off, I've done a lot of searching on this forum to try to answer my problem without having to post, but to no avail.

I bought my XPS about 6 months ago and due to performance issues, I decided it was time to format and reinstall a fresh copy of windows. Everything was fine, until I found out that Nvidia and Dell don't get along, so to speak, and the VGA drivers included on a disc that came with my laptop do not work properly with my Dell. I came across this site, downloaded the latest driver (165.01) along with the modded INF file. Everything was working fine for about an hour after installing the driver, then my screen turned this weird gray/white color for about 20 minutes, then a blue screen came up saying that it was stuck in an endless loop. I was forced to reinstall Windows again, and here I am wondering what driver I should use to avoid this problem again.

Please, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Can we get some other 7950GTX users to chime in? I have pretty major issues in XP and Vista with the same card and a SLEW of different drivers.

BTW: Dell's Drivers are the only ones that don't BSOD on XP for me >_>

94.22 from Dell didn't BSOD with me. Also there's 93.71 M3 from the guys at TweaksRUS

94.22 from Dell didn't BSOD with me. Also there's 93.71 M3 from the guys at TweaksRUS

Do you have a link for the 94.22 from Dell? I'd really appreciate it. I just got done reinstalling Windows...again.

Do you have a link for the 94.22 from Dell? I'd really appreciate it. I just got done reinstalling Windows...again.

Nevermind, I found it and it's working like a charm, even after several reboots. Thank you so much!

Yes, but this isn't solved. VISTA INPUT PLEASE

Thank you.

you dont need to re-install windows everytime

reboot your PC, after the post screen where you get the basic info about your BIOS etc, press F8 a few times and you'll get a windows system menu, choose 'SAFE MODE' and windows will boot into windows without any drivers or extra apps/services etc.

goto control panel, add/remove programs and remove the nvidia drivers. reboot and your system will work again and you can try another set of drivers.

try the Alienware v94.23 drivers - http://aliendl.alienware.com/Mobile/m9750/....14.10.9423.zip

I have an M1710 with the 7900 GS and run the Dell 101.19 performance drivers off dells site with 0 problems. I was running the 16X.XX series but got wierd artifacts here and there. After playing and reformating a few times i found the 101.19 to work well. Go to dells website and look up the current driver. scroll down have the page and they have the link to the performance drivers.

Can we get some other users with the Single Chip 7950 GTX and XP to chime in with driver versions?

Also, I am unable to use ANY driver besides Dell's 84.69 or 94.22 without disabling NvMcTray (which locks up the computer after the nVidia logo appears in the systray.)

Any ideas?