LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600m gt by ASUS

Guest rcboyit

Guest rcboyit

Hi there!

I gave a look on ebay and found out the good specs 8600m GT mxm II card for the asus c90s and I was wondering if I could fit it in my alienware m5500 or in the fujitsu a1667g......

Does anybody knows the answer?

is it too new? or does it have a different video-bios?

thanks a lot in advance to all of you who will be able to answer.

cheers

rcboyit

*EDIT*NVMD, I think he's asking if the C90S cards will work in something else.

According to Asus the go7700 will work in a C90S.

Asus lists the go7700, 8600M (256MB) and 8600M (512MB) for the C90S and some retailers are offering the C90S with the 8600M GS (256MB) so as for as I can tell that the current (un)official lineup. There are also a couple of ATi cards, but I don't remember which those are, the drivers are up on the Asus support site for the C90S.

Edited by RangerXML

Its a little bit of a kick to the face, but the're expecting C90 users to switch to faster video cards as they become available so why throw a nice card that would possibly bump the price of the card a few buck. From a sales POV the card looks more attractive with 512, but from a technical POV the 256MB of DDR3 is faster. Heck in RivaTuner it reads the card as DDR3 not DDR2 which I believe comes from the fact that they were originally going to use DDR3.

• 3 weeks later...

DDR2 is cheap slow and gets much hotter then GDDR3, Gddr 3 is a much better overclocker so i think i wait for the DDR3 version.

but still i would like to know how long until it comes and will it work in my amilo xa 1526.

or is there might something that else would fit nicely as a possible upgrade

Edited by Deezire

• 1 month later...

mxm 2.0? If so, is Acer's 5920g compatible with that? as in will I be able to plug in Gddr3 version of 8600m gt in? Though I really have this hopeless thinking that there would be a mxm type-2 8800, though it doesn't seem possible due to thermal compatibility as well the heat problems

Guest Bigspin @ NBR

I have Aspire 5920G with MXM2.0 8600M GT DDR2 card .

I know ASUS C90 8600M GT DDR3 is MXM 2.0 card.Will it work on my 5920? Is it possible? :)

Oh..Icetea hope you remember Bigspin @ notebookreview.com .I'm the one who sent you that 8600M GT DDR2 BIOS copy by your request :)

Guest GRRRPISSEDOFF

I own a custom c90 and this card is a PIECE OF JUNK. IT pissed me off RIGHT after I got it by not letting me play crisis beta. Just artifacts and BS. Can't even play Stalker either.

Its a piece of junk and wasn't worth what I wasted on it. It is the DDR3 version MXM2.0 and I only hope that I can upgrade to the soon to be released 8800 mobile series. This card absolutely sucks. I just installed 169.04 on it and now my brand new monitor cannot be used. That is mostly thanks to the drivers since I have NO way to change, adjust, or anything like that. Don't have the nvidia control panel, or anything. I am screwed and I have to use the stupid laptop monitor which is too small and makes me hunch over.

I am pissed this is BS. I hate this crap. Just trying to play a damn game and I have to "Win/lose" something. This is BS and I want my monitor and this piece of junk 8600m GT to JUST WORK. THIS SUCKS.

I am going to e-mail nvidia and yell at them for selling such an absolutely piece of junk that they don't even support official driver-wise. "We only support desktops" Then STOP SELLING MOBILE SERIES YOU a******* YOU JUST STEAL MONEY AND GIVE PEOPLE THE HALF-ASSED JUNK THAT DOESN'T WORK AND WAS PROBABLY A REFRY FROM OLD HARDWARE. THIS SCUKSCKSKCSUCKSCUSCKS!!@#!!#!@!@12

AGGHHHH

HAHAHAHAHAH I FIXED IT.

Cool, my monitor works now. That sucked dude. But still have no method of adjusting the HD settings like in the nvidia control panel.

Anyway, on topic, the only thing that I could buy at the time (When I ordered the custom built c90) was the 8600m GT. So I only hope I can upgrade to the 8800 when it is out. I also hope it is actually supported and not kick all of us to the perverbial curb (laptopsvideo2go).

No offense, but when you buy something you expect the company that receives your money to support what you purchased, not kick you off to some unofficial driver website.

I currently have the G1S X-1 Model (Similar to the G1S A-1/2 Models) My 8600M GT has GDDR3 onboard with 256 MB and up to 768 MB of system memory to augment.

While I understand that this card is nowhere near the beast an 8800 is, this card has far exceeded my expectations for gaming, especially with a little overclocking and the latest release of the 169.04 Drivers. I haven't tried Crysis and that maybe a PS3 game for me if it ever comes out. As far as CS:S Source / The Witcher / WoW / Doom 3 / F.E.A.R. / S.T.A.L.K.E.R. it all runs at usually high settings all above 100 FPS. This cards main weakness is Lighting. Anything with complex light physics really kills our card. I generally scale down shadow detail and lighting quality if its optional. I guess the drivers will come out eventually for lighting to be "watered" down or maybe an option to remove it completely but a lot of games require high quality lighting in order to have a decent atmosphere. That being said, Doom 3, runs phenomenal. 1280 x 780 4x aa 4x af high quality on everything and it runs 60+ fps.

I know for a fact that this paticular card fits in the alienware laptop, but you have to switch the heatsink with one already inside the alienware. Thats about all my friend had to do. The story is different if one has an ATi card or a different series/generation of nVidia. As far as I can tell about the MXM swapping, if you are using a same generation card, the chipset (usually intel) will pick up every single one i.e. 7xxx and 8xxx series programmed bios's will register the same 7xxx or 8xxx. Upgrading from a 7300 to a 7700 GT is possible as long as the MXM modules match as well. You can not currently upgrade from a 7400 to a 8600M GT for example, that defies the bios logic code during oem recognization hardware bootup sequence. The only way to upgrade different series/generations is by editing the video bios of the card and the chipset. Obviously the less a chipset is restricted down by the OEM, (Asus/Alienware) the more compatible for upgrades it is. Unfortunately, with the lack of OEM support for MXM style upgrades, the more likely this idea will just die out without getting much fan fare attention. If you are more interested in doing a custom removal of the heat sink, there are forums that specialize in this "plastic surgery" for these cards.

• 2 months later...
Guest Ed Oscuro

I have been lucky enough to have two 8X00 series cards, one a 8800 GTS (640MB model) for my desktop (DX9), the other a 8600M GT inside this laptop (Asus G2S B2, DX10). Other specs are mostly the same, with faster 800MHz RAM in the desktop, 667 MHz here. Both Core 2 Duo machines.

It's true that the 8600M GT seems underpowered, but part of the problem (for slightly older games) is that I'm trying to drive games at the native resolution of 1920x1200 @ 62 FPS (yeah, not 60...). Obviously, that's a lot of pixels to push and depending on the game it might not work so well.

I am pretty sure the G2S has a MXM III slot (I've seen it reported as much various places), which makes me happy. I actually took off all the small covers on the bottom of the laptop and looked around some. I'm not sure if I found the card or not, but I did take a picture (don't have it with me at the moment, though). The Windows Experience Index tells me the RAM is the system's weak point (4.8 on that scale, with other parts doing much better), but that can't be helped given the motherboard design. If I had the money, inclination, skills and most of all courage (but then again, just the money) to upgrade two things in this laptop, I'd get the best Penryn (for future SSE4 gaming) and the best GeForce possible. Well, I guess neither is possible right now. Really, all that needs to be changed in this laptop is the GPU.

Interestingly, I'm finding that it's possible to game at lower FPS rates than I had previously found acceptable, even with unexpected framerate dips. I remember getting headaches back in the day from my Nintendo 64 (still get them when moving up to Perfect Dark), but I didn't really have much problem with Dark Messiah's occasional dips to 15 FPS (it usually hovered around 40 for me, with an average range from 30-50). I haven't played many games at all on this setup yet, but that one seems pretty stable (despite the fact that it wouldn't work on my desktop) with no "mouse lag."

The Crysis demo looked mostly like it's supposed to on my desktop 8800 GTS, with decent resolutions (I forget what res it took, so I don't want to say 1600x1200 and be wrong) allowing me to see a decent way off into the distance. It actually selected High settings all across the board and I was getting what seemed like 30 FPS, maybe a bit less - not much input lag to speak of but it also seemed to me the game was struggling.

On this laptop, forget it. Widescreen resolutions didn't show up and so I got a bloated 1024x768 resolution and low settings. Frame rate seemed decent, but I always felt that you needed to be able to see things at a far distance with some clarity in CryEngine games. On the other hand, I've read that the Crysis demo had some issues.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2: Didn't give it a thorough workout, but the opening map seemed stable enough. Played at a slightly lower resolution, I think, like 1440x1XXX.

I've installed the Bioshock demo and will have to try that out. Unfortunately, I'm hurting for even DX9 apps to run on this machine, and don't have anything DX10 native aside from Source games.

Team Fortress 2 plays well even at 1900x1200 but with some dips in framerate when stuff shows up, and with very low detail and blurry textures on some things. The carefully designed art style makes this hard to detect unless you get close to things, though (it seemed most noticeable in the resupply rooms when looking at the pinup girls).

Bottom Line: I think this GPU would do just great on a smaller laptop screen. That said, I wouldn't trade this laptop's great display for a slightly better video card and a tiny, crappy screen.

Request for informed speculation: Does anybody think the 8800M series GPU that Asus is likely to make available will be enough of a performance boost to make the hassle of upgrading worthwhile? I want to get Crysis (and Far Cry 2, etc.) playable on this machine at native resolution, but I kinda doubt the jump from an 8600 to an 8800 will be great enough...and it's anybody's guess when Asus will get parts to move into the 9XXX era, let alone make an MXM-III card available for their laptops. Probably by that time it'd be wise just to get a new laptop.

Thanks for all the work you've done demystifying MXM, Ice-Tea. I've read a lot of your posts and information in the last week.

Asus 8600m GT 512m DDR2... DOES WORK in my Acer Aspire 5520!!!!

After I flashed it to an ACER Vbios..

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest
Asus 8600m GT 512m DDR2... DOES WORK in my Acer Aspire 5520!!!!

After I flashed it to an ACER Vbios..

So i was founding some NVIDIA Bios files for the 8600m GT so is there a way to run this card on a fujitsu siemens amilo m3438g right now ? maybe after blank flashing ? or something ?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I posted this on another thread, but I figure I can ask here as well...

------

Quick question regarding the 8600-GT MXM Type II video card/module.

My friend purchased the X100 shuttle computer and would like to put this card in: http://www.rkcomputer.net/rkcnotebooks/ind...detail&p=58

Do you all think this would be possible?

Let me know what you all think!

Thanks!

John