LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell Vostro 1500 & 8600M GT issues

alastair

I have broblems in both vista and Xp windows. For vista with windows aero, it crashes at the first time when turned on after 2-3 hours turned off. Vista without Aero and windows Xp, boot ok at the first time but crash immediately when I try to run some 3D applications. At the second time you boot after reset by pressing power button 5s, everything works perfectly in both OS. I have email Dell several times. And the latest I received they told me that at first I should tried lastest driver from dell website, secondly I should run Preboot System Assessment by pressing powe button + Fn button at the same time when I turn it on. Final I should tried to use another LCD or TV to check if this is an error caused by the laptop screen. I have tried all but can not solve the problem. The Preboot system Assessment told that no error found. They also told that Dell support will repair and send the laptop back if there 's any error but for US citizens only, they can not send the laptop out of the US. IF you are not in the US this must be a big trouble. you have the same problem with your suse 10.3? Need to restart to make your laptop work well after turn it on? Have you contacted Dell, and what have they told you?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have the same problem with my Dell Vostro 1500 but it seems to be fixed by installing the latest 169.12 beta drivers and the modded INF file. This is available from this site.

I've since then not had this issue. So, keep fingers crossed :)

DickS

And it still works? So why does someone else have differet drivers and it works? I'm sure it's harware issue...

ok but they had older drivers version and they hadn't any issue...

Michal, I am referring to the broken screen when waking PC up from hibernate mode. I had this issue almost every time when I restarted the Vostro 1500 from hibernate mode.

The entire screen was full of strange blinking blocks and the computer would not react to anything. Mostly this was in the morning, when the PC was cold. Another previous poster mentioned that perhaps it is a temperature problem, but it is a Nvidia driver problem when initializing the screen.

I installed the beta 169.12 driver with modded INF on my Vostro which, according to Nvidia, has a fix for broken screen display when coming out of hibernate/sleep mode. Although only the 8800 is mentioned, it also seems to work with the 8600M which is in the Vostro 1500.

So far so good and I'm finally really happy with my Vostro. Very cool machine :)

Cheers!

DickS

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, A01 bios for vostro 1500 has been released on 12/10/2007 at Dell support website. Hope the new bios can help us with this problem.

The new bios can not solve the problem in my case. :) . This must be a hardware error, I need to turn it back to Dell center in the US after christmas. So disappointed after months waiting for it!!!

I installed 169.25 on my Dell Vostro 1500 (with modded INF). I have bios A01 and now no longer have the corrupted screen when restarting from hibernate mode. At least since several days, no issues anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!

I still had issues with the artifacts. So I called Dell support and they told me this is a known issue with a certain batch of Nvidia cards and that they will send a tech guy to replace it.

Next day it was replaced by a newer model. I tried to see if I could find some difference like bios number but found nothing. Anyway, ever since my system works like a charm. Connecting external monitor works fine and no more artifacts.

Anyone who has this issue, call Dell and get the graphics card replaced. It is a known issue and there is an internal bulletin on it.

Hope this helps others. I really LOVE my 1500 now :)

Cheers!

DickS