LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Running Bioshock on my Dell m1710 is causing it to shut down!

Guest Theal

Ok I have a Dell XPS M1710 with a Gefore Go 7950 GTX. I have installed forceware163.44 with the modified .inf and the game is running very smoothly. However I am also running Everest to monitor the GPU temperature and have noticed that after about 15 minutes of play the GPU temp hits about 105 degrees C and then the laptop shuts down every time.

Is this just an issue with my card or are other people experiencing this?

Clean out your vents and prop up your laptop... That's the first thing that comes to mind. You may have to try downclockng your card if that doesn't help much.

Honestly, I would NOT bother with this game.

Not only does it install malware onto your system (SecuROM) but it also has the worst GPU support I've seen in a game. I have a Dell XPS M1710, a laptop built to run games like Bioshock, and even on the lowest settings it runs like s***. Why? Because Nvidia and Dell can't get their s*** together.

Don't bother with the game. It gets repetitive after the first few levels anyway.

Guest Savageland

My XPS 1710 with the 7950 gtx 512 runs bioshock at high settings (minus directx10 tick) and only has issues because of sound

I'm here to grab drivers but not sure i want to since the lame dell ones are running all other games balls out just fine and bioshock only gives me issues because my soundcard is culprit whenever i notice lag

note my resolution is 1400 x 900 on a 24 inch external flat panel

Guest Savageland

Also to note IMO this game kicks arse

it's in the same family as system shock which was one of the few games to actualy give me the creeps

story line is good id say as I'm on my third time through after getting a grasp of plasmids :)

concept is very lively to, underwater and 80 years in the past provides a refreshing change to the single player field

Guest blasphemy
My XPS 1710 with the 7950 gtx 512 runs bioshock at high settings (minus directx10 tick) and only has issues because of sound

I'm here to grab drivers but not sure i want to since the lame dell ones are running all other games balls out just fine and bioshock only gives me issues because my soundcard is culprit whenever i notice lag

note my resolution is 1400 x 900 on a 24 inch external flat panel

Can i ask what operating system your running? and what driver version/ modded drivers you using?.... Because i cant seem to get much fps above 30, on bioshock. Running on Windows XP Pro, with 94.22 (some old drivers, but the only ones that seem to be stable) XPS M1710, 7950 gtx 512 and 4 gigs of ram.

• 4 months later...
Guest Mathias
Ok I have a Dell XPS M1710 with a Gefore Go 7950 GTX. I have installed forceware163.44 with the modified .inf and the game is running very smoothly. However I am also running Everest to monitor the GPU temperature and have noticed that after about 15 minutes of play the GPU temp hits about 105 degrees C and then the laptop shuts down every time.

Is this just an issue with my card or are other people experiencing this?

Hi mate

I've had the same problem until i got me a new motherboard and a graphic card, from dell. I just called them and then we talked about the problem. later the week they came and gave me the new motherboard and graphic card and all worked smootly

- Another thing you can do is, trying to remove most of the dirt inside the fans, that may help