LaptopVideo2Go Forums

NVIDIA 163.44 Vista 32-bit drivers for 8600M GT (ASUS G1S)

Nuggstein

I don't know what to do. :)

So I have the 8600M GT in my laptop, and Nvidia doesn't support it for some resaon, so you gotta use customized drivers. So right now it's at 101.19.

I need to install the 163.44 drivers for Bioshock. So I got the drivers, and the customized INF file, and it seems to install the drivers...yet when I view the driver information after I reboot...it still says 101.19. How do I upgrade these drivers?

I tried uninstalling the drivers, and installing the new ones after rebooting, but nothing happened. :)

I even tried letting the Windows drives install, the standard VGA drivers, and then install 163.44, but it didn't work.

These were the drivers that I tried: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=14562

And other people who have the same laptop have the driver installed.

I tried all of this in safe mode too.

I have:

ASUS G1S

2.2GHz T7500 Core 2 Duo Processor

Vista 32-bit Ultimate

3GB RAM

8600M GT

120GB 7200RPM SATA-300 HDD

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by Nuggstein

Just do a google search for it. Uninstall your current drivers, select nVidia from the list in the program, run it, restart and reinstall. It won't do anything to anything else on your computer.

I have the exact same card. trying to install for XP on my ASUS G1. Every time I go to install a driver, it starts all right and then it says:

Nvidia Setup cannot find any software that matches the hardware on your system. Setup will now exit.

I have tried many different drivers, both with and without modified INF files. If I go to the Add Hardware wizard and point it to the INF, it acts as though it installed, but the drivers box is empty afterwards.

A press release I found said the 8600M GT was designed for Vista. does that mean it's not compatabe with XP?

Any help is appreciated.

Sam

Did you install the hacked XP drivers for it from LV2G? You can't use the Vista drivers for the graphics card unless you have Vista installed. Drivers are usually not backwards compatible.

Ièm fairly certain I did. I found a driver that had the 8600M GT in its list, downloaded it, tried it, then extracted it, replaced the INF fie and tried again, only to have the same error message as before. I tried going into Add Hardware, telling it I wanted to install a display driver, and brwsing for the INF when I select the modified INF in the extracted driver folder, it sees it, accepts it, doesnèt appear to have a problem with it, but then no drivers appear in the wizard.

I have exactly the same problem. Medal of honor airborne and bioshock arent working properly and it seems I need latest drivers. Problem is that latest drivers won't support 8600M GT.

But according what I have read, is there coming a forceware release that supports geforce 8600M GT?

@ Belga:

Read the FAQ for installation instructions. Don't forget to replace the INF file in the driver folder before installation.

Guest ASUS G1S w/ nVIDIA 8600m GT

I'm not very knowledgeable re INF files. If I download the INF zip to my desktop, do I just cut and paste the file into my driver folder? Where is my driver folder? :P

:)

:)

• 3 weeks later...

smaz and zipper, thank you so much. Driver installation was a success. :)

Why is it that I cannot overclock my card now? With the previous drivers supplied by ASUS, I was able to overclock.

Edited by Nuggstein