LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell XPS M1730 slips, now launching September 21st

mobilenvidia

Found this over at Engadget a very much antecipated machine gets delayed.

Nice specs but VERY heavy to lug around, but who cares when you get to where you're going, you know your going to kicj some serious arse.

The SLI'd 8700M's are slower then the go79x0 versions in probably everything but DX10, I'd say the 8x00 should pull away from the 7x00 with this.

I personally like the looks of it, the numeric keypad will be a welcome addition.

The SLI is apparently a dual 8700M GPU card not 2 x 8700Ms on seperate cards.

dell-xps-1730-1.jpg

We can't ever guarantee launch dates on an unannounced product, but it looks like Dell's internal shipment date for the new XPS M1730 just slipped, and has been pushed back to September 21st for the US, Europe, and Asia. Here's the latest specs list (sorry, not much there has changed since before):

* Intel Core 2 Duo up to 2.6GHz (X7800, 4MB cache)

* Up to 4GB DDR2 667 RAM, Intel PM965 chipset

* 17-inch WUXGA TrueLife (1920x1200)

* Single or SLI 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 8700M GT

* Regular and SSD drive options

* Blu-ray drive

* (6) USB 2.0, 1394, DVI out, S-Video, gigabit Ethernet, IR

* 54mm ExpressCard (with travel remote)

* 802.11a/b/g/n, 3G WWAN, Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

* 10.6 pound starting weight, 2-inch thick chassis

It's a good this that it's not as badly designed connector wise as the latest top laptops from Dell. Having a 17" screen gives a lot of room in the back... so video and network connector should be located there. Not on the side... having the RJ45 and SVGA ports on the side of the laptop is pure stupidity. The only things that stick out of the side of my Inspiron are devices that are not ment to be there permanently. (USB keys, firewire camcorder, *you pick*)

It's not just Dell doing this, their all doing it.

Whist looking for a lappy for the Inlaws, I noticed all manufactures putting everything on the side.

Bartteries are movong to the back and now stick out if you choose more than 6 cells.

The XPS line at least have the docking option and anything on the side can be replicated in the station.

The question is does this support dual SATA drives? Else I might have to go for that triple drive monster posted a few days ago.

I am also worried about the 2 GPUs on the same card deal, that can't be good for the heat as apposed to cards on separate sides of the laptop.

The quad core on that extreme notebook is also starting to look better. If this doesn't have good dock options like PCI-E 1x then its beaten already.