LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Latest Atheros WLAN drivers for Windows 7 and Vista (x86 & x64)

mobilenvidia

Hi! I have problem with Atheros AR5B91, Thompson TCW710 Wlan and Vista 32bit. I have a latest driver (from Vista update) v7.6.1.162. Sometimes I cannot connect to the modem at all, after couple restarting the computer it will connect to the modem. Even when I try to connect by manually (giving SSID and a shared key) Vista says that it cannot connect to the modem.

With my second/third laptop (intel chipset wireless and a ralink card) there is nothing problem to connect to the modem, so Im quite sure that Atheros is the problem. Those computers are allowed by MAC-filtering to connect to the modem. Do I need to downgrage the driver for Atheros or what? And which driver - Im a bit confused by Atheros drivers.

Thanks for any help at all!

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• Jake_

• Pawel

• Anarion

Hi! I have problem with Atheros AR5B91, Thompson TCW710 Wlan and Vista 32bit. I have a latest driver (from Vista update) v7.6.1.162. Sometimes I cannot connect to the modem at all, after couple restarting the computer it will connect to the modem. Even when I try to connect by manually (giving SSID and a shared key) Vista says that it cannot connect to the modem.

With my second/third laptop (intel chipset wireless and a ralink card) there is nothing problem to connect to the modem, so Im quite sure that Atheros is the problem. Those computers are allowed by MAC-filtering to connect to the modem. Do I need to downgrage the driver for Atheros or what? And which driver - Im a bit confused by Atheros drivers.

Thanks for any help at all!

Try using 7.6.1.111 better driver, hopefully for you as well

• 2 weeks later...

Sure it wasn't 7.6.1.184 ?

Cannot find 7.6.1.194 at MS Update

Ah, MS UPdate now has these as well :)

Working on these now

• 3 weeks later...

I have the ar5009 in my presario cq50 103la, I just downgraded it to xp but I cant get the wireless to work, I mean I guess I couldnt find the right drivers yet!....Can you guys help me out Im having a really hard time trying to make this work...thnx in advance...

You tried 7.6.1.184 in the XP driver thread ?

thnx 4 your help, Im goin to try with that ones and I will let you know if that works, the thing is that Ive been working for about a week trying to find this drivers, and theres such a weird thing about this card in special because Ive been looking in the atheros website and theres no "ar5009" :s, and about 4 days ago I just saw in a message board that someone called this card as an "ar9280"....:S so I try to install like a thousand of drivers, some of them didnt worked at all, and the other ones recognized the card but when I tried to connect to my router (and every router and every little weak and strenght signal around) the card didnt connect, instead there was an error popup it said that maybe the connection just timed out.....anyway Im very frustrated and confused with this issue....hope your post will help me, thnx in advance (and sorry for the bad english Im from Colombia) byebye.

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire 6530. Which has an Atheros AR5B91 Wireless Card in it which is Draft-n however I have two wireless routers both of which are Draft-n but I am still unable to get speeds higher than 54mbs.

It is not a router problem as two other laptops that are in the household are able to get up over 250mbs and up to 300mbs as you would expect with draft-n.

I am running Windows Vista Bussiness x64. With the latest driver (Which Windows found for me) which is: 7.6.1.204. So basically I would like to know what I need to do to have my laptop reach speeds of over 200mbs like it should.

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire 6530. Which has an Atheros AR5B91 Wireless Card in it which is Draft-n however I have two wireless routers both of which are Draft-n but I am still unable to get speeds higher than 54mbs.

It is not a router problem as two other laptops that are in the household are able to get up over 250mbs and up to 300mbs as you would expect with draft-n.

I am running Windows Vista Bussiness x64. With the latest driver (Which Windows found for me) which is: 7.6.1.204. So basically I would like to know what I need to do to have my laptop reach speeds of over 200mbs like it should.

Have a look in the device properties to make sure there is nothing there to stop it going from past 54Mbps

K I don't think there is anything in the device settings stopping it going past 54mbs.

The main things It could be that I don't understand would be under advanced and are as follows:

802.11b Preamble: Long and Short

Adhoc 11n: Enable

Network Address: Not Present

Receive Buffers: 256

Scan Valid Interval: 60

Transmit Buffers: 256

Give the modded INF driver a go, I've forced 11n to work with that version.

Atheros have a heap of settings that are hidden, that the modded INF reveals to all

Ok I think I have found it. It is the other sticky named Atheros modded Driver with NMI:Parity error fix, for Vista and WinXP.

So I downloaded 7.6.1.170 and extracted it. Then went into Device Manager Clicked on the AR5B91 then clicked update driver, then browse my computer for software then selected the folder where the driver is located and click next and it comes back saying the device is already up to date and doesn't install the new driver. How do I get around this?

That should work, make sure you actually double click (or press OK) on the actual INF.

It should say for your setup a Atheros AR922x (same deviceID as the AR5B91

This means going through all the options to find the driver manually then selecting the INF.

I think before you did a partial auto install of new driver which will look for the exact Device PCI_ID and Subsys number (whiich I remove)

K well, I have tried alot of different drivers this morning and it just isn't working. I have worked out that the 11n is not working at all as when I set my router to 11n only rather than 11g+n and I was unable to connect to it. therefore the problem is not just that it cannot reach speeds of above 54mbs but the problem is more that the whole 11n of the card is not working? Therefore how do I make it work? Is this a Driver issue or a Hardware issue or a 64bit driver compatibility issue.

Does Acer have a driver on their website for this card ?

Maybe try to get this working first.

Yeah there is a driver on there website but it still doesn't allow me to connect at 11n speeds.

I'm seeing nothing but Atheros problems today

Lol, do you know how to fix it or should I just take it to DickSmiths and tell them to make it work like its supposed to.

DickSmith sounds awfully Australia or NZ ?

Where you from ?

See if you can get a refund, and get your self a Ralink based card as reviewed in the Ralink section here.

Dick Smith is good for little electronic gadgets not for WLAN products.

Yeah from New Zealand.

I would need to get my whole laptop refunded as the card is the standard one it came with.